Author Topic: Vulcan Bomber  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Mosha

• AIG Honored Members
  • Command Captain
  • AIG Dispatch La-Un, Ranong, Thailand.
    • Alpha India Group
Vulcan Bomber
« on: April 17, 2008, 12:03:53 AM »
http://www.tvoc.co.uk/

I was once fishing with friends near York. A clear blue sky and we started looking for clouds, as this thunderous noise started. We were looking in the direction of the noise and it appeared apparently out of the ground. in a steep climb. Awesome sight.
Regards, Steve

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline csturdiv

• Aviation nerd and half-assed aviation photographer
  • AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
  • Part time Aussie flightplanner
Re: Vulcan Bomber
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 01:04:36 AM »
I always love an expected encounter with military birds.  Back in the summer of 2000, I was in downtown Chicago, along the lake front.  It was a Friday afternoon and I had just wrapped up my last appointment for the day.  I parked at a nearby city park and was walking along a jogging path near a harbor, looking at all of the super expensive yachts that I will never be able to buy.  It was a quiet day until the roar of jet engines about made me need to change my undies.  I had completely forgotten that it was the weekend of the Chicago Air & Water Show and the Blue Angels were getting in some practice in the early afternoon.  It was a sight to behold, 3 F18s screaming along the lake front!
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Absinthe

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 02:09:27 AM »
I had F-18's and A-6's flying in a valley below us as we were in bivouac near San Onofre when I was in the School of Infantry in the USMC.  Pretty cool to look DOWN and see aircraft flying nap of the earth.

Offline james solomon

• Command Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 08:16:50 AM »
i used to live near the raf base st athens in wales and your driving along and suddenly above you maybe about 9 meters above the car is this military jet landing

Offline Andy

• Super K!
  • Administrator
  • Command Captain
  • Bear with a Sore Head
    • Flickr Photos by ME. :)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 10:07:45 AM »
I used to live near an RAF flight excercise area, one time I remember walking the dogs up the moors and all of a sudden you've got 3 hercs flying towards you at low level.. was very cool as they ended up banking around the crest of the hill, hence ending up below me. Awesome!

Then there was the time I nearly got hit by 2 chinooks, they are so loud but when they're underneath you.. you dont hear them till they chop right past the top of your head.

Needless to say I was always first in line for the dogwalks.
Live life for the accomplishments, not for the compliments.

My photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/Sud-Est/

Offline rob hirst

• Turbine Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 11:44:03 AM »
I live 8 miles from the home of the last airworthy Vulcan. I keep looking up from the garden hoping it will buzz the house but it's not yet. Ok it's only been flying about 6 months but I keep dreaming! ::)

Rob

Offline sprocky

• Command Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 06:08:55 PM »
I had F-18's and A-6's flying in a valley below us as we were in bivouac near San Onofre when I was in the School of Infantry in the USMC.  Pretty cool to look DOWN and see aircraft flying nap of the earth.

I had this experience during my active time when our pilots were on training missions at Decimomannu (LIED), Sardenia, Italy. We (mechanics) got the chance to drive to Frasca Range where the bombing and gun exercises took place. They have some towers there from which you have a nice view over the area. Usually the pilots were informed about guests on the range. Before they returned to LIED they made a close formation flyby at low level near the tower. I have videotaped that day. Unfortunatly it is in the older Hi-8 format and I am currently not able to convert that movie into a digital format :'(
Jan
WoAI
FF: 1995 - - - 100th flight: 12th November 2010

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Senior Captain
  • C208B-LET410-B1900-DH8C-PA34-PC12, B200 & DA42
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 06:53:09 PM »
Despite all my formative years in the US, I had my first encounter with unexpected military hardware in England. I was on a trip with the old man (he took family when possible) and for some reason we flew into Heathrow and had to head up to Manchester in abysmal evening/night weather in a rental auto. We were on some motorway (M1?) about an hour north of London when out of the dark came two lights just above us. It was a couple of Jet Provosts flying IFR (I follow roads). No sound but the road, they passed over the windshield and were sucked up by the night. I think the quiet was what made it so spooky.

Best was again with the old man in Hong Kong, in a noisy street and we didn't hear the 747 until it passed above us, I swear we all flinched.

I've always thought it was weird that England should be where I saw most of the military stuff at low level, when the skies back home are kinda olive drab anyway. I get the preponderance of civil airports close to us had a lot to do with it, and the Dulles/National CAS (the corridor between them being a favorite rat-run with sunny-Sunday GA).
Idealogically suspect religious arrogance exterminates life.
Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich. Ustinov.
The sadly-mortal George Carlin on soft language

Offline sprocky

• Command Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 07:07:08 PM »
Best was again with the old man in Hong Kong, in a noisy street and we didn't hear the 747 until it passed above us, I swear we all flinched.

Like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRfDsSnLtE4
 :D
Jan
WoAI
FF: 1995 - - - 100th flight: 12th November 2010

Offline vc-10

• Command Captain
  • Fly Embraer Jets!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 07:56:20 PM »
Asside from the constant buzz of airliners at school, at home I have to put up with the RAF's much louder toys... ::happy:: ::happy::

Offline summersa74

• Prop Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 08:28:20 PM »
Just before the Nebraska ANG retired their F-4s about 15 years ago, I was at my grandparents farm.  We were feeding my show lambs when I heard a rumble.  It sounded like a car was coming down the gravel road.  All of a sudden, two Phantoms shot over the barn.  They couldn't have been more then 100 ft. off the ground.

The Thunderbirds have a good one, too.  1-4 fly down the strip in a diamond, 5 flies down the opposite way, and 6 screams right over the crowd.

Offline Target

• Command Captain
  • Checks AIG too often
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 10:11:38 PM »
Jep saw the Thunderbirds at Kennedy Space Center. Have to say we already saw alot of nice toys (Mil, GA and esp. Biz) here in Daytona Beach. Best though, up till now, were 4 F-15s practicing for NASCAR Pepsi 400, while walking to class. They were coming straight towards the campus and then made a split to the north, and #3 basically went over our head in 30m (90ft), broke left with full afterburner  ::evilgrin::. I had more fun aviation-wise in the year I'm here in the US than back home in Germany (except flying gliders there).

Best regards,

Phil
Der Pessimist sieht nur ein Tunnel,
der Optimist sieht ein Tunnel und das Licht am Ende
und der Realist, der sieht den Tunnel, das Licht und den kommenden Zug

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Senior Captain
  • C208B-LET410-B1900-DH8C-PA34-PC12, B200 & DA42
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 10:01:50 AM »

Like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRfDsSnLtE4
 :D

Naaaah! The Harrier can't create an instant overcast the way a 747 can! I look back and think "but it can't have been the way I remember it" but even so I remember it that way - like some mouse might feel a microsecond before the bird of prey hits.

Living in Wiltshire we get a few military things flying by, Lyneham is a few miles east and gets the Hercules, plus the occasional DC8 and An124 (I saw an ACT A300 going in there one time), but we're outside the Lyneham Zone and get occasional transit traffic, Tornadoes at 500ft, A-10s cruising by at 2000, that kind of thing. A Spitfire comes out our way and does aeros once or twice a year but generally its pretty quiet air-wise. RAF Colerne has Grob Tutors that we see once in a while, but that's hardly gonna rock your foundations. Colerne used to get paradrop groups in the summer, and they like jumping out of different airplanes (I guess they have logbooks and they record what types they jump out of?), so I've seen the occasional interesting airplane there when I've been driving by, An-2, Let-410, Junkers 52, USAF C130. Once I saw a dozen or so Tiger Moths parked there also - most of the time it is "Sleepy Hollow International".

I think the Air Cadets there get rides on graduation, I heard from a friend that a couple summers back they had a few Harrier trainers based there a few days.

Apart from that its the "wockas" - Chinooks etc chugging by on long summer afternoons, audible over half of England for half an hour. Yep - I'm "out in the sticks"! Nicest are the VC-10s out of Brize. They don't often get down our way, but when they do I'm reminded how beautiful some airplanes can be. Since I've lived here I've seen only one B-52 and one "Bone" (and that was leaving the Fairford Tattoo - which I've never visited!) - they both merited a good look, but only the VC-10 merits a stare. IMO.

Getting back on topic I'd have to say that the Vulcan is probably also worth staring at. certainly it looks awesome. I saw one as a kid but not close up and personal.
Idealogically suspect religious arrogance exterminates life.
Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich. Ustinov.
The sadly-mortal George Carlin on soft language

Offline vc-10

• Command Captain
  • Fly Embraer Jets!
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 08:48:57 AM »
Staring at me's rude ;D
I love it when the VC-10s come down to south Wiltshire (Boscombe Down) and they sometimes buzz us then they do! ::party::