Author Topic: "\" or "/" in aircraft.cfg texture= line?  (Read 620 times)

Offline duckbilled

• Turbine 2nd Officer
"\" or "/" in aircraft.cfg texture= line?
« on: June 12, 2011, 04:12:46 PM »
I have not manually updated ai in a long time and I noticed that people like to packages paints with a texture.airlinex folder that contains several paints. A separate flightsim section is used for each paint. I'm not sure why people do this but I am happy to have the paints so I am not complaining.

Anyway, what is the correct syntax in the texture= line? I have seen it both ways and the error checkers I use don't recognize either method.

1 - texture=airlinex/paint1

or

2 - texture=airlinex\paint1

For example:

In my TFS A333 folder, I have textures for Aeroflot. There is a folder called texture.aeroflot. Inside that folder, there are five more FOLDERS - VQ-BCQ, VQ-BCU, VQ-BCV, VQ-BEK AND VQ-BEL. I understand what the author is trying to achieve. in the aircraft config, these five textures are registered as:

[fltsim.3]
texture=aeroflot\VQ-BCQ

[fltsim.4]
texture=aeroflot\VQ-BCU

[fltsim.5]
texture=aeroflot\VQ-BCV

[fltsim.6]
texture=aeroflot\VQ-BEK

[fltsim.7]
texture=aeroflot\VQ-BEL

I have omitted irrelevant sections from the aircraft.cfg.

The problem is I am finding authors that are using a "/" instead of a "\" an I am not sure which method is correct since all of my error checking utilities do not recognise this method. I am using packages from two well known painters and the both do it differently.

Thanks

Offline flyingcarpet75

• Command Captain
    • The Flying Carpet Hub
Re: "\" or "/" in aircraft.cfg texture= line?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 04:54:03 PM »
I have not manually updated ai in a long time and I noticed that people like to packages paints with a texture.airlinex folder that contains several paints. A separate flightsim section is used for each paint. I'm not sure why people do this but I am happy to have the paints so I am not complaining.

Anyway, what is the correct syntax in the texture= line? I have seen it both ways and the error checkers I use don't recognize either method.

1 - texture=airlinex/paint1

or

2 - texture=airlinex\paint1

For example:

In my TFS A333 folder, I have textures for Aeroflot. There is a folder called texture.aeroflot. Inside that folder, there are five more FOLDERS - VQ-BCQ, VQ-BCU, VQ-BCV, VQ-BEK AND VQ-BEL. I understand what the author is trying to achieve. in the aircraft config, these five textures are registered as:

[fltsim.3]
texture=aeroflot\VQ-BCQ

[fltsim.4]
texture=aeroflot\VQ-BCU

[fltsim.5]
texture=aeroflot\VQ-BCV

[fltsim.6]
texture=aeroflot\VQ-BEK

[fltsim.7]
texture=aeroflot\VQ-BEL

I have omitted irrelevant sections from the aircraft.cfg.

The problem is I am finding authors that are using a "/" instead of a "\" an I am not sure which method is correct since all of my error checking utilities do not recognise this method. I am using packages from two well known painters and the both do it differently.

Thanks

Actually, neither method is right. I know that some painters like to use nested folders to keep things tidy, so that several livery variations appear under one single texture.airline_name folder.

But the truth is that what flightsim is looking for in a texture.airline_name folder are bmp files, NOT another subfolder. Using this method will result in slowing down your machine, and a time lag before your aircraft textures show up. The only efficient way to manage your texture folders is to keep ONE texture folder for each fltsim entry.  Since you mention aeroflot in your example, I have also painted the whole fleet recently, soon to be available from RATS website, and each one of the A330-300s for instance has its own texture folder, named texture.aeroflot_vq-bcq, texture.aeroflot_vq-bcu, texture.aeroflot_vq-bcv and so on..

The other advantage of this method is that you don't have to bother checking whether the painter used the correct path sign, or even which sign is the right one!  ;)

::cheers::

Philippe
Visit my website http://www.flyingcarpet75.com for more repaints!

Offline duckbilled

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 05:31:58 PM »
Thanks, I do agree and I would assume it takes longer to retrieve the .bmps. I do prefer that painters use traditional methods for folder structures rather than getting creative. It just makes installation go smoother if things are consistent. That being said, I appreciate all of their hard work so I'll take what I can get.

I have been dealing with ai since day one - literally. I remember the code being cracked for FS2002, the opening of the ttools forum at AVSIM, ttools being released, creating flight plans by scratch for the default aircraft, PAI opening.. Since UT was released, I have been mostly using prepackaged stuff because of the time involved with doing things manually.

A couple weeks ago I updated my UT2 install so I started downloading like crazy to get all of the needed repaints. Of course, once I started searching for paints, I found a bunch of flightplans I wanted to install. Of course, once I found the flightplans, I needed more paints. So far, I think I have installed close to 7,000 paints over the last few weeks and I have been working on it for at least 40hours each week (unemployed grad student with a successful wife).

The point is a little consistency goes a long way.

So, I agree that neither method is best but do you know which method works? Trying to hunt down specific reg numbers in the sim is a pain considering most of my main line flight plans are from UT2.

And lastly, AIG has been so helpful with this process. Thank you for all of your hard work.

Offline BruceN

• Command Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 05:59:35 PM »
I recommend following Philippe's advice as it does slow down the processing to have nested folders. However, to answer your original question, either character, / or \ will work correctly.

Offline duckbilled

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 06:30:33 PM »
Thank you. I guess I will start breaking the packages in to seperate texture folders from this point forward. If I get time, I'll go back and split up the other ones.