Author Topic: Anyones 2c welcome wrt a frustrating CTD  (Read 1272 times)

Offline asymetric_walk

• Turbine 2nd Officer
Anyones 2c welcome wrt a frustrating CTD
« on: April 18, 2008, 01:38:11 PM »
Hi guys,

If anyone has a possible explanation to a CTD that I keep getting, well fire away.

The bottom line is, I cant start FS9 at airport WA96. It's situated on Radial 278 21.4 DME from SEA. FS9 just crashes to desktop when i try. Its a stock airport, i'm in a stock fs9 a/c, I've disabled all 3rd party scenery that might affect the area, and all AI is disabled.

Is there something i've missed while trouleshooting?? Anyone else getting the same CTD there??

J

Offline Mosha

• AIG Honored Members
  • Command Captain
  • AIG Dispatch La-Un, Ranong, Thailand.
    • Alpha India Group
Re: Anyones 2c welcome wrt a frustrating CTD
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 01:52:02 PM »
What airlines use the airport? Check any odd sized AC bmp files
Regards, Steve

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline asymetric_walk

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 01:59:40 PM »
No AI in sight, its all disabled. There are no parking spots at WA96 anyway.

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Senior Captain
  • C208B-LET410-B1900-DH8C-PA34-PC12, B200 & DA42
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 02:30:16 PM »
What time and season is the flight set for? Also, is the GPS active or open (for some reason it can trigger CTD if there's a terrain problem within its range - I've had one when I was zooming the GPS display out from 50nm a long time ago (can't recall where in the FS world I was). You might have to load a simpler plane. Also, what was the last thing you added in that area? Afcads? They're notorious for causing CTDs if there are two (or more) for the same airport, or have duplicated start locations. Because of the way Afcads are installed its entirely possible that even if you've disabled everything else, addon Afcads can get overlooked.
Idealogically suspect religious arrogance exterminates life.
Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich. Ustinov.
The sadly-mortal George Carlin on soft language

Offline asymetric_walk

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 07:37:23 AM »
Hi Richard, thanks for the input.

Also, what was the last thing you added in that area? Afcads? They're notorious for causing CTDs if there are two (or more) for the same airport, or have duplicated start locations. Because of the way Afcads are installed its entirely possible that even if you've disabled everything else, addon Afcads can get overlooked

That seems to be the problem, I disabled my addon scenery/scenery folder and that semmed to do the trick. That folder contains AFCADS not associated to a 3rd party scenery. But now, what is in it that could be the problem. I had 2 Duplicates, KSAN and CCA3, both nowhere near the problem area. I cleared the dups, and the problem still persisted. The crash also happens at KPWT. If you look at the map, out of all the airports you can see, the crash is only happeneing at KPWT & WA96. All those airports are stock. The ones named fry1/2/3/4/5 are ferry terminals, i've already tried to disable those with no luck.

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Senior Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 09:30:26 AM »
The problem AFCADs don't need to be anywhere near your flight area, they could be pretty much anywhere in the world, I think (I might be wrong on that).

I guess the approach you need to use is something suggested on the PAI forums years ago - a "binary chop".

You need to move the AF2s out into a folder where FS can't see them (just below their normal folder is okay, just make a subfolder and move the AFCADs there).

You then need to swap AF2s in and out of the subfolder until you replicate the CTD - any files not in the active folder are not guilty and live to see another day. Its long and laborious but its the only way.

Sometimes an AFCAD can be guilty all by itself. I d/l'd some British military AFCADs years ago and a few of them had duplicated start locations in the same file (eg 2 start points for r/w 31!). My setup stabilized overnight once I sorted those out, but it took an awful long time to get there.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 09:35:35 AM by Per Ardua Ad Ars »
Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich. Ustinov.

Offline asymetric_walk

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 09:35:02 AM »
I was afraid that a process  of elimination was the only way  ???

Guess that gives me something to do this afternoon.

Thanks again

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Senior Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 09:37:30 AM »
Well, now and then there's been talk of an automated process for debugging AFCADs (a sweep through all the installed ones looking for the known faults) - but Lee Swordy was the best guy to have tried that, and he left the scene. Its a horrible task that begs for automation.

Offline asymetric_walk

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 11:52:35 AM »
Well at least I know where I'm looking now. It'll be interesting to know which one it is.

Offline asymetric_walk

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 02:28:09 PM »
Ok, got it. It was an afcad named KEN4.bgl. It was part of a package released on AVSIM sometime in '04 with afcads, aircraft and fpls for Kenmore floatplanes operating around Seattle. Looks like that particular afcad was unfinished. All it contained was a parking spot and a tower position. No runways, taxiways or anything. I just finished it off roughly and all is once again hunky dory.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

J