Author Topic: Moronic Airlne Award goes to...  (Read 1453 times)

Offline M-Sauce

• Command Captain
Moronic Airlne Award goes to...
« on: April 22, 2008, 07:07:23 AM »
SAS. Can you believe it?

They ground the Q400 fleet, claiming that it is unsafe, costing the company millions.

Then, they turn arround and buy more of them  :groan: . Granted, I know they got a good deal from Bombardier, but how do you explain that without looking like a complete ass?

You don't. That is why this award goes to SAS.

The runners up where;

- Skybus. For thinking that you could charge 10USD to fly to St. Augustine, FL, and market it as Jacksonville / Daytona beach. Both locations that require at lest half a car-tanks worth of fuel to get to, approximately 20 to 30 bucks in today's prices.

- Delta. For proceeding to buy a company that has such old airplanes that half of them will need to be grounded. Did they not learn from the American / TWA fiasco? American is still not fully recovered from that big mistake.

Mariano
ROG Rampage V Edition 10, Intel Core i7-6850K 4.6GHz (OC & Watercooled)
Corsair VLPX DDR4-3200 64GB , Samsung M2 960 PRO 2TB, SanDisk 1TBx2 (RAID 0)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC (2xSLI & Watercooled), Asus ROG PG348Q, TM HOTAS Warthog
Caselabs Merlin SM8, Corsair AX1500i, Win 10 Pro 64Bit, P3D Version 4

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Senior Captain
  • C208B-LET410-B1900-DH8C-PA34-PC12, B200 & DA42
Re: Moronic Airlne Award goes to...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 03:40:20 PM »
Who put the ass in SAS?  ;D

Maybe they were coming up for fleet renewal and wanted bargaining chips. Most u/c collapses are mildly public but SAS's were filmed in 2 cases of the 3. Hey! Am I starting up a conspiracy theory?! Now would I do such a thing?  :yeah:

It sends a message to their customers alright - but not a particularly good one.

The joke will be if a new one suffers an u/c collapse at CPH on its delivery flight .. (so long as the crew are okay).
Idealogically suspect religious arrogance exterminates life.
Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich. Ustinov.
The sadly-mortal George Carlin on soft language

Offline Andy

• Super K!
  • Administrator
  • Command Captain
  • Bear with a Sore Head
    • Flickr Photos by ME. :)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 04:26:16 PM »
They should fit skis to the damned things and be done with it. :stirpot:
Live life for the accomplishments, not for the compliments.

My photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/Sud-Est/

Offline vc-10

• Command Captain
  • Fly Embraer Jets!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 04:34:21 PM »
I'd have thought that a runner up would be BA, with the whole not bothering to train half the staff at T5 :stirpot: :stirpot:
That being said, I'm going on a day trip to Edinburgh in June (Uni open day) with BA... :P

Offline Frentzen127

• Turbine Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 04:55:38 PM »
They could buy all of those abandoned Dorniers in EU and the US.
And then "accidentally" overshoot/overrun runways with them just as City Start did. :yeah:
Then they could but those bargains from Bombardier on second thought. Just so that customers wont think there's a conspiracy going on. ;)

Necroposter par excellence.

Offline sprocky

• Command Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 05:30:24 PM »
Who put the ass in SAS?  ;D
Shuffle the letters SAS and you get: ASS. :P
Jan
WoAI
FF: 1995 - - - 100th flight: 12th November 2010

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Senior Captain
  • C208B-LET410-B1900-DH8C-PA34-PC12, B200 & DA42
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
SAS - some airplanes slide?  ;)

The T5 remark reminds me of an old post I saw somewhere - "How many people work in your office?" - "Oh, about half of them!"
Idealogically suspect religious arrogance exterminates life.
Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich. Ustinov.
The sadly-mortal George Carlin on soft language

Offline rke

• Command Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 07:33:07 PM »
Well, it wasn't a bad way to save some money and allow both companies to save face. The new Dash-8's will be labelled NextGen, so about 95% of the flying public will think it's a new and improved aircraft :D

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 07:59:53 PM »
The SAS was that the version they had of the Q400 was the first generation. The new ones are Next-Gen which has changes on minor things compared to the first generation (The Q400NG has updated cabins, lighting, windows, overhead bins, as well as reduced fuel and maintenance costs). The new Q400's they have ordered is not going to fly directly for SAS but for Wideroe (the fist planes are already delivered) and for Air Baltic. Both are members of the SAS Group.

Also take note that the Q400's flying for Wideroe didn't had any problems at all but was grounded because of the SAS decision.

SAS also ordered CRJ-900's. They'll be used by SAS Denmark (the one who had the Q400 before) and by Estonian Air which is also flying under the SAS Group.
Regards

Johan Clausen

Offline M-Sauce

• Command Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 10:02:49 PM »
Well, it wasn't a bad way to save some money and allow both companies to save face. The new Dash-8's will be labelled NextGen, so about 95% of the flying public will think it's a new and improved aircraft :D

..I think only one company saved face here, and I think we all know who it was..  ::)

Mariano
ROG Rampage V Edition 10, Intel Core i7-6850K 4.6GHz (OC & Watercooled)
Corsair VLPX DDR4-3200 64GB , Samsung M2 960 PRO 2TB, SanDisk 1TBx2 (RAID 0)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC (2xSLI & Watercooled), Asus ROG PG348Q, TM HOTAS Warthog
Caselabs Merlin SM8, Corsair AX1500i, Win 10 Pro 64Bit, P3D Version 4