Author Topic: I knew I hated FSX for a reason  (Read 1084 times)

Offline atco

• AIG Dispatch Painter
  • Command Captain
  • Notepad Ninja
    • ATCO Repaints
I knew I hated FSX for a reason
« on: August 13, 2011, 12:59:09 AM »
So I've spent a week getting FSX up and running, got it going real nice, was installing a multitude of addons.

Now whenever I start FSX all I get is "A Fatal error has occurred" and the piece of s**t won't load at all.

I have deleted my fsx.cfg and that doesn't work, nothing I do will get this to load up at all, I just get fatal error thrown at me every time.
I don't even get any kind of message that would help me identify the problem, just fatal error and thats it. Even the windows event log has no information other than faulting application fsx.exe and faulting module unknown.

Anyone got any ideas before I set my FSX disks on fire permanently and give up until Flight is released?
Vectors to nowhere, around nobody for no reason

Offline Dave YVRATC

• Command Captain
Re: I knew I hated FSX for a reason
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 01:35:23 AM »
 Hmm, have you tried reverting back to a default scenery.cfg to make sure it's not a scenery issue? At least then if it does start you would have an idea of where to go from there.

Offline atco

• AIG Dispatch Painter
  • Command Captain
  • Notepad Ninja
    • ATCO Repaints
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 01:40:10 AM »
Yup tried that using the default scenery.cfg, didn't work.

Just tried to repair the install, at least it stopped me getting the load screen then fatal error, instead now when I try to start FSX I get told that FSX could not load some program files and will now close.
Looks like a week of work has just gone down the drain.
I am beyond pissed right now.

Offline atco

• AIG Dispatch Painter
  • Command Captain
  • Notepad Ninja
    • ATCO Repaints
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 03:28:17 AM »
Ah well a repair install plus re-installing SP1 and SP2 seems to have resolved the issue. At least for now, got it to load twice before I had to head out for my nightshift.

Offline Dave YVRATC

• Command Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 03:39:22 AM »
 Wow, now that blows.  What did you install since you had it running well?  

I changed to FSX solely a few years back and haven't looked back on FS9. Sure it has it's oddities and differences, but imo it's well worth it. FS9 stayed on my HDD for almost the whole time since but it just never got used and I got tired of trying to keep both it and FSX up to date ai wise.

Glad to hear you got it up and running..  Enjoy your mid.. I've got one coming up Sunday night.

Offline M-Sauce

• Command Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 03:13:06 PM »
I must say, I've gotten FSX to run well on my system now, but I can see why MS fired the Aces team. It is appalling how buggy FSX is. There are many things that seem to be unfinished or like they weren't beta tested. Like the scenery library bug? Honestly, the beta test did not include anyone adding scenery to the library?

I'm running latest hardware and to get FSX to run properly I've had to do massive amounts of reading and tweaking. Just for it to run stable. You need this DLL or you need this CFG entry. That is fine for hardcore simmers like most of us, but they've lost the crowd by not having a stable platform, and that means a lot of money. They can't possibly make money from it by building software that requires hours of work just to run stable from the box, with no add-ons.

And I know that the SP1 and 2 helped to address some of the performance issues to take advantage of multi core CPUs, but I just can't understand how that wasn't implemented from the get-go.

I've got the PMDG NGX running now in FSX and I'm gonna enjoy it, but I look forward to a new platform that uses the latest technology and has room to grow. I don't care if it is compatible with previous FS versions, I just want something that is stable and built on a good foundation.
ROG Rampage V Edition 10, Intel Core i7-6850K 4.6GHz (OC & Watercooled)
Corsair VLPX DDR4-3200 64GB , Samsung M2 960 PRO 2TB, SanDisk 1TBx2 (RAID 0)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC (2xSLI & Watercooled), Asus ROG PG348Q, TM HOTAS Warthog
Caselabs Merlin SM8, Corsair AX1500i, Win 10 Pro 64Bit, P3D Version 4

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 04:41:03 PM »
--->Mariano: Bad FPS in FSX = Newer hardware/new pc to get it running better = more windows sale = more $$$ for Microsoft.
Regards

Johan Clausen

romeocharlie

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 04:10:37 PM »
I've decided that right now I'm not going to get a new PC until after Flight is released and I start reading users' reviews of how its working for them. In this economy I've got other calls on my financial resources, and in uncertain times I don't think it makes sense to get into more debt when for the amount of flying I currently do, FS9 still satisfies me.

Now if Messrs Cameron, Clegg and Osborne could just get the UK economy rocking and Mrs Merkel and Mr Sarkozy could sort out the eurozone, maybe, just maybe..

Rob

Offline cattz

• Command Captain
    • Longsite
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 04:36:43 PM »
Now if Messrs Cameron, Clegg and Osborne could just get the UK economy rocking and Mrs Merkel and Mr Sarkozy could sort out the eurozone, maybe, just maybe..

You are Joking! These people are Politicians - they know nothing of the real world  ::goofy::
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:49:55 PM by cattz »
A tired painter who tried really ought to retire!
A project very close to my heart: http://www.woolverstonewish.org.uk/

Jet lag? - Prop up your sim. www.longsite.co.uk for repaint links.

Offline Klemen

• AIG Dispatch Advisor
  • Command Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 04:46:47 PM »
Like the scenery library bug? Honestly, the beta test did not include anyone adding scenery to the library?

LOL so I am using FSX for last few days and I though I am stupid. When I tried to add a scenery, it just does not want to be added. Than I want to go back and it is loaded  :heehee:

I have not read anything really, but now I see I am not the only one with this "problem".

Btw, is there a way to change the aircraft selection menu to something more - how should I say - normal, like FS9 had  ;D ?

Area ATC | Ljubljana Radar | LJLA

Offline Hornets Nest

• Command Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 05:34:42 PM »
Like the scenery library bug? Honestly, the beta test did not include anyone adding scenery to the library?
LOL so I am using FSX for last few days and I though I am stupid. When I tried to add a scenery, it just does not want to be added. Than I want to go back and it is loaded

In some degree of fairness to MS, I believe that that is a Win 7 problem, exclusively.  I have certainly never had this problem in Vista (since 2007) and wondered what Mariano was referring to.

The issue was first raised (I think) in these forums here http://www.alpha-india.net/forums/index.php?topic=6751.msg65769#msg65769

And I know that the SP1 and 2 helped to address some of the performance issues to take advantage of multi core CPUs, but I just can't understand how that wasn't implemented from the get-go

Agree wholeheartedly on that.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:39:37 PM by Hornets Nest »
Best regards

Matthew

Offline TeamNutmeg

• Prop Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 09:45:20 AM »
It's even more limited than just Win 7 - it's only 64-bit Win7.

FYI, the workaround is quite simple: when you highlight the folder you want to add and click "OK," and it then goes into the folder you highlighted, just click in any empty white space in the file explorer window and it will instantly close and will have added the scenery area.

Finally, to the original issue: both times that I've had FSX lock up on me and refuse to run, it's been because of a corrupted pilot log file - just had it happen recently, in fact.  I just backed up the original, then used a logbook editor to open it and deleted the last couple entries (and recreated them afterward).

Offline Insomnia

• Prop 1st Officer
  • Carpe diem
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 01:37:19 PM »
..I've got the PMDG NGX running now in FSX and I'm gonna enjoy it, but I look forward to a new platform that uses the latest technology and has room to grow. I don't care if it is compatible with previous FS versions, I just want something that is stable and built on a good foundation.

Go X-Plane. I made the switch last year and once you get used to it, it's a great flightsim. I still use FSX for traffic spotting but if it's come to flying, X-Plane is the way to go.

Ralf

Offline M-Sauce

• Command Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 03:35:40 PM »

Go X-Plane. I made the switch last year and once you get used to it, it's a great flightsim. I still use FSX for traffic spotting but if it's come to flying, X-Plane is the way to go.

Ralf

Thanks Ralf, but I just don't have the time these days. I'm actually enjoying purely flying the sim once in a while, mostly VFR hops and the occasional 737NGX hop.

And believe it or not, I don't even have AI installed on it! I just know that once I install AI I will want to keep it up to date, and then some cool paint will need doing and I will get on that. And then I won't like some afcad and delve into that. Before I know it, I'm spending too much time on the computer.  :heehee:

Anyway, I am enjoying FSX, but I just think it feels a bit un-finished. As others have mentioned, it could be the fact that I am using Win7x64, an OS for which it was not designed. I think some of the problems also come from Win 7 itself, which I think is a glossed over Vista. It still has quite a few issues that MS needs to address. I remember in one of my first installs, the SP1 failed to install properly and the only solution was to wipe the install and start over from scratch. There was nothing I could do to uninstall the broken SP1 and re-install it.

--->Mariano: Bad FPS in FSX = Newer hardware/new pc to get it running better = more windows sale = more $$$ for Microsoft.

That was what I did Johan. I'm running a SB I-7 2600K with an overclock of 4.6 with watercooling, 16g G-Skill 1600m DDR3 RAM, MSI TwinFrozr II overclocked GTX 580s in SLI and two OCZ Vertex 3s 128GB SSDs in RAID 0 through Sata III. Bit overkill for FSX but it runs other games really well. and the computer boots in 21 seconds flat. FSX launches in under 30seconds as well.
ROG Rampage V Edition 10, Intel Core i7-6850K 4.6GHz (OC & Watercooled)
Corsair VLPX DDR4-3200 64GB , Samsung M2 960 PRO 2TB, SanDisk 1TBx2 (RAID 0)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC (2xSLI & Watercooled), Asus ROG PG348Q, TM HOTAS Warthog
Caselabs Merlin SM8, Corsair AX1500i, Win 10 Pro 64Bit, P3D Version 4

Offline Tom C.

• Command Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 05:03:55 PM »
FSX launches in under 30seconds as well.
Guessing at least 60% of that is no AI as you mentioned.
I love FSX for VFR flying, espically around the ORBX Pacific North West, but other than that it was mostly used for testing AIG Ground files from the FSX masters.

When I get it installed again, I think it wll see some serious changes from the last install.
Tom C.

Veni,           Vidi,        Velcro  
I came,      I saw,    I stuck around...

Once upon a time AFCAD developer!