Author Topic: Maps2BGL - Create your own Photoscenery using Google Earth  (Read 8714 times)

Offline Dubstar

• Turbine 2nd Officer
Maps2BGL - Create your own Photoscenery using Google Earth
« on: April 25, 2008, 02:18:16 AM »

Gunnar Dähling has developed a tool that allows the download of Google Earth Textures to compile your own Photoscenery.
The frontend is pretty straight forward and I've read in other forums that it took only 10 minutes for users to create photoscenery.
There is also a page with screenshot examples.
Check it out here http://www.g-daehling.de/fs2004/modules.php?name=Content&pid=10.
(Btw, how do you create links with the URL hidden with this forum software?)

Regards,
Sebastian

Core i3-530 (2x 2,93 GHz) - GIGABYTE H55M-UD2H MATX - 8GB Kingston DDR 3 RAM 1333MHz - Gainward GeForce GTX760 - LG GH22NS - WesternDigital WD6400AAKS - Intel  IMHMW3 SSD 80GB - FSX Accelearation - Win 7 64bit

Offline md11forever

• AI Pirate. Yaaarr!
  • Command Captain
  • I've moved on to FSX
    • My Photos on Flickr!
Re: Maps2BGL - Create your own Photoscenery using Google Earth
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 02:35:13 AM »
So I suppose poor ol' Avsim will soon see an influx on new photoscenery a'la the Chile stuff... :groan: :reaction:
George Widener

Now Rockin' FSX via Alienware

Offline Juan Botero

• Turbine 1st Officer
  • Avianca
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 03:23:28 AM »
So I suppose poor ol' Avsim will soon see an influx on new photoscenery a'la the Chile stuff... :groan: :reaction:

Does anyone actually download that stuff?
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline EDDK

• Command Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 05:57:51 AM »
yeah i downloaded it many times, there were so many versions until now. look this link for fs9 pics. http://forum.flightxpress.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=5738

the tool is ok, but when you want cover whole texas or france you have to amass many gigabyte!
Regards, Philippe

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Senior Captain
  • C208B-LET410-B1900-DH8C-PA34-PC12, B200 & DA42
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 07:12:15 AM »
I think MD11forever was referring to the Chile photoscenery - although at least now there is a selection of Chilean military planes flooded onto Avsim that you can use for overflying it.

I just tried running the application under Windows 98 (my web system uses that OS) and I get "service not configured". I was hoping to tile some images for Matthew Ministry for the new scenery he's pecking away at. I know you can see ground textures in the pic, but he's tearing his hair out trying to get it to work easily, so automatic would be good for the airport and surrounding areas (and there's no autogen that'll get suppressed either - everybody wins!).

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 07:13:53 AM by Per Ardua Ad Ars »
Idealogically suspect religious arrogance exterminates life.
Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich. Ustinov.
The sadly-mortal George Carlin on soft language

Dreamliner

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 07:30:19 AM »
I remember I created "Vectorscenery" for some US states using a tool that was made for the FLY! sim. It was real fun navigating VFR with small aircrafts. If I see how Microsoft screwed the Rhine Valley near my "home airports" EDDK and EDKB, I will test that tool and hope for some improvements. It should be possible to fly "over your house". I'll report!

Ralf  :)

Offline M-Sauce

• Command Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 07:30:57 AM »
Been a long time since I was in the terminal in Abu Dhabi. I can see the spot where we use to park... cool. Is this gonna be free-ware?

Mariano  :)
ROG Rampage V Edition 10, Intel Core i7-6850K 4.6GHz (OC & Watercooled)
Corsair VLPX DDR4-3200 64GB , Samsung M2 960 PRO 2TB, SanDisk 1TBx2 (RAID 0)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC (2xSLI & Watercooled), Asus ROG PG348Q, TM HOTAS Warthog
Caselabs Merlin SM8, Corsair AX1500i, Win 10 Pro 64Bit, P3D Version 4

Dreamliner

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 07:35:51 AM »
Damned, "service not configured".  (Running under Vista) :reaction:

Back to painting.  ;)

Offline Ben

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
  • AIG Ops | Flightplanner | Private Pilot
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 07:45:10 AM »
Maybe some of our german speakers can translate - I think for copyright reasons, you have to manually edit the config file. I think you have to change some settings to make it work with google earth, but I can't tell from this as I don't speak German very well.  :-\

Wichtig !!!

Vor dem ersten Start von Maps2Bgl muÃ? der Kartendienst konfiguriert werden. Ich halte es wie
der Autor von TileProxy, um rechtlichen Problemen aus dem Weg zu gehen.

Im Installationsverzeichnis ist die Maps.ini gespeichert. Diese muÃ? mit einem Editor editiert
werden. Dazu darf ich keine Beschreibung geben. Die Hürde ist aber sehr einfach zu nehmen.

Die nicht genutzten Dienste werden mit dem Symbol # am Anfang der Zeile SERVICE= abgewählt.
Fehlt dieses Symbol vor mehr als einer Zeile wird die letzte Zeile als Service gewählt.

Vor der Veränderung dieser Datei mu� sich jeder Nutzer mit den Nutzungsbedingungen des
Kartendienstes auseinander setzen. Wer sich nicht sicher ist, ob er durch die Nutzung der
Daten das Copyright des Dienstes verletzt, darf Maps2Bgl nicht nutzen.

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Senior Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »
I think it will be free - he started it when I was away (he paid for my trip anyways - I've known him since before he got into FS) and my information is sketchy. He told a mutual pal that he was doing it as a kickstart for a young guy who's ill, to give this person something with a purpose. He is not doing the new terminal north of the main runway though, it'll be just as up-to-date as the interim terminal that should take a few A380s. If the young guy can't take it further, then maybe MM will pick it up in future? Since the other guy already put up some early screenshots (on my image hosting account - cheek!) he's okay about people knowing in advance. Like I say, its the ground tiles that are the problem which is why I took an interest in this thread (I can't design anything but I can sure press buttons on a computer app and send him the results). He basically wants ground tiles west to the coast and about 2 or 3 miles out from the airport in the other directions. He told me a couple days back that he knows how to work with them manually, but that it's too labor-intensive to do a wider area. Some of the next screenies show how limited an area he was working at - now he needs more - for example the car parks and landside infrastructure, plus the trees and plantations that are near the airport. The upside is that there are pretty much no seasons there, so one set of textures will do okay all year round, where in Europe you'd be flying in winter with trees all in leaf, or summer and over bare hillsides.

Here are some more - all I have right now. I think he's sending me a CD with the airport so far, so I can help testing it out. Might do some more screenshots then.

Apparently the helo in one shot is AI! He's got Abu Dhabi Aviation operating at the eastern end of the airport - landing on a 1 meter wide runway, which doesn't get displayed because its narrow, and he's using the Elvis S76 to imitate the Agusta-Westland AW139s that they operate. I should say that it might be a couple months or more before it gets released because there's a few effects he wants to add, and he's trying to dig into FS9 to figure out whether he can make chopper sounds work in AI also. One cool thing is that he's used his curved approach coding abilities to make the helos come in from the southeast at 300 feet and turn very short final to land at AUH aviation. I'm looking forward to seeing that working, for sure. I've never seen an AI chopper in FS9.

Its all Gmax.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 08:42:51 AM by Per Ardua Ad Ars »
Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich. Ustinov.

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Senior Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 08:03:46 AM »
Ah, okay - I decided to read the readme. I think the service not being configured was the maps service (I thought it was a Windows system service). Gunnar wants to avoid copyright problems by making the user decide which map service they want to use to grab the tiles, after that its up to the user to read the service's terms and conditions. The readme says nothing about how to use the tool (I guess it must be simple enough) - its all about those concerns over copyright.

So the question is, which maps service makes the best hi-res pictures? I guess if they're of an airport there's also the issue of whether the designer can access the BMPs to edit out airplanes and vehicles on the tarmac. Anyone who's used the "EAP Basel" scenery will know what I'm getting at (nice scenery, but a few flat cars there).

Offline M-Sauce

• Command Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 08:05:32 AM »
Wow, that looks really nice!  :)

I gotta say, aside from some taxiline markings and maybe some 3D taxi/runway lights, that looks like payware quality. It really is pretty sweet. Should make for some awsome short hops between FT's Dubai and this Abu Dhabi.

Very nice work.  :yeah:

Mariano
ROG Rampage V Edition 10, Intel Core i7-6850K 4.6GHz (OC & Watercooled)
Corsair VLPX DDR4-3200 64GB , Samsung M2 960 PRO 2TB, SanDisk 1TBx2 (RAID 0)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC (2xSLI & Watercooled), Asus ROG PG348Q, TM HOTAS Warthog
Caselabs Merlin SM8, Corsair AX1500i, Win 10 Pro 64Bit, P3D Version 4

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Senior Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 08:40:24 AM »
Gotta say I think he's going too far for freeware, but he's saying that there are huge differences between this and quality payware, and its not like he needs the money or anything.

He told me the ground lines are like those at EAP Basel - taken at the best normal zoom level (err, 19?) and so not great. Its something he said he'd have to alter, making sharp lines and then deleting the fuzzy ones from the images, but then a lot of the buildings in the screenshots are still default MS textured boxes (I can recognize a few), and the interim terminal is also default boxes (he told me he can't get images of the interim terminal and it might not be worth modelling it at all - just suggest what it looks like and leave it there).

There's a long list of stuff that still needs to be done. I can't remember everything he mentioned on the phone, but it was something like 1/ ground textures out to about 4 miles, maybe in decreasing resolution at the greater distances (fewer tiles and better frames), 2/ landclass out even further, I noticed he put something out on Avsim for Dubai so I guess that's related, 3/ Whole load of default buildings he still wants to model, plus a couple nearby mosques, one of them in the airport grounds, plus Abu Dhabi aviation's area (no images right now - so its on hold), 4/ Trees to plant, 5/ Some effects he *must* attach before he would release it, one is a "blowing dust effect" triggered by the wind speed and floating with the wind, and another he won't tell me about. We agreed a big dust effect might kill frame rates but he's determined to try anyhow - he'd rather crash and burn than never take to the sky, oh, and 6/ he wants to make all the islands at the coast look better than MS gave us and 7/ Photoreal ground textures don't always show shadows. Also 8/ Any new ground images will have to be extensively edited to remove vehicles and airplanes. He's broken hearted that a lot of effort went into the current ones and they aren't enough, so a whole load of work will have to be re-done.

Well, my memory's better than I thought, but I'm sure the list was twice as long as that.

He made afcads for all the airports in the UAE that weren't already covered, because the helos operate to some that are inside the AI visual zone for AUH and if there's no Afcad the AI won't spawn if they're on the ground.

He said his biggest problem is getting the donut terminal and the satellites to look "used".

Anyway, this thread was about this image collector, which MM just sent a text asking me to check out. Fingers crossed.

Offline Mosha

• AIG Honored Members
  • Command Captain
  • AIG Dispatch La-Un, Ranong, Thailand.
    • Alpha India Group
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 08:42:52 AM »
So what are the missing bits in the .ini?
eg using Google
Regards, Steve

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Senior Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 09:31:16 AM »
Well, the pertinent parts of the URL are starred out - so the first line (commented out) needs the letters "oogle" and "com" substituted in.

The problem seems to be that Google then bars access to images (even in the browser) probably because the application looks like a "bot" that's trawling thru their images.

I ran up the app with the approriate "oogle" in there, but I then had to focus down in "oogle maps" to get a KML that the app seems to want (even though it has the top-left and bottom-right co-ordinates - which I thought would be enough). I've looked at AUH before in detail last week without a problem, but now I'm getting "we don't do this zoom level" even when I'm browsing the entire UAE. I think oogle are obviously touchy about how their services should be used.

Maybe I need to figure what the other service is, or see if the app handles other sat image banks.