Author Topic: A few questions on AI aircraft performance  (Read 423 times)

Offline Panthera

• Turbine 1st Officer
A few questions on AI aircraft performance
« on: March 01, 2012, 02:24:39 PM »
Hello all :)

I have a few questions on the performance of AI aircraft, specifically the DJC A32x series. In the process of gathering data I found that a certain Ecuadorian airline happily uses their Airbus A320 aircraft to Cuenca airport (SECU), an airport located 2.5 km above sea level and with a runway of 6,200ft (1,900m). Now, I couldn't find very specific figures on the real life performance of the A320 family, but this characteristics must be quite challenging for sure? It has to be said that they only operate a 45 minute flight out of this airport, but still..

Now, as far as I know in FS AI aircraft will note take off or land if the runway is shorter than their required landing / takeoff distance. Is there a list of required distances for AI models, or does anyone know if the DJC A320 is capable of taking off and landing here? A few weeks back I was looking at a DJC A320 taking of from a 7,500ft runway and he needed most of it.

Does the elevation of the airport at all influence the performance of AI aircraft? And does FS calculate the amount of fuel an aircraft needs for its flight and base take-off weight on it? Last question, I promise: Is there a difference in performance between the DJC family (A320, A319 in this case) or are they all the same?

Normally I would test this myself, but my computer is still on the fix and I don't have FS at the moment, but for designing the flight plan it is quite important. If it turns out the A320/A319 wouldn't be able to operate out of this airport it would mean a major reshuffle of flights..

Thanks in advance :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 02:32:26 PM by Panthera »
Regards, Arnout

Offline ReggieF

• Turbine 1st Officer
Re: A few questions on AI aircraft performance
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 06:32:45 PM »
In general AI aircraft flight dynamics are tweaked more to clear runways faster - thus improving the flow through of AI aircraft on an airport - rather than seeking 'realistic' performance.

I cannot comment specifically on the DJC aircraft performance.

AI aircraft fly at the 'empty weight' in the aircraft.cfg file. Most AI aircraft are set either for the real world aircraft empty weight, or significantly lighter than the real world aircraft. Most AI heavies are not setup as heavies. A more realistic way to setup the aircraft would be to use a normal landing weight as the empty weight. But that would require an extensive reworking of most AI flight dynamics.

AI aircraft do not use fuel. Period. There is not fuel weight added. This is because most AI flight plans only cover the first 50-60 nm of a flight, or the last 50-60 nm of a flight.

Altitude does impact AI aircraft performance, but minimally.

My recommendation is to test the AI aircraft you have at that airport.

Personally I use Jan Martin's flight dynamics for my AI aircraft whenever possible.

http://janswebsites.110mb.com/flightsim/

If you scroll down to the AI Aircraft Behavior link - you will see how Jan has setup the various model aircraft.

The DJC A320 family is setup for the following distances (feet) in the V5acofAdv flight dynamics set:
A318 - 3,900 TO, 3,850 Ldg
A319 - 4,100 TO, 4,000 Ldg
A319AP - 3,000 TO, 2,950 Ldg
A320 - 4,700 TO, 4,400 Ldg
A321 - 5,200 TO, 5,050 Ldg

Offline Panthera

• Turbine 1st Officer
Re: A few questions on AI aircraft performance
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 06:59:17 PM »
Wow thanks for the extensive answer ::cheers::

I will test their performance as soon as I can (don't have FS at the moment), but it seems they should be able to operate normally in FS, which is a relief :)

Again, thanks for the detailed explanation.
Regards, Arnout