Author Topic: A bit of a lightning  (Read 423 times)

Offline Klemen

• AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
A bit of a lightning
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:47:13 AM »

Area ATC | Ljubljana Radar | LJLA

Offline BrandonLH81

• Turbine 1st Officer
  • CRJ-700 APU Trainer and TDY (DEN,BDL,LEX,DTW,BUF)
Re: A bit of a lightning
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 05:08:51 PM »
Lightning hit close to me like that once while working the ramp in LEX , Time to go inside :o

Offline csturdiv

• Aviation nerd and half-assed aviation photographer
  • AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
  • Part time Aussie flightplanner
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:27:19 PM »
A few years ago I was flying into FLL.  We arrived right has a typical summer thunderstorm rolled through southern Florida, and as we were taxing to the gate there was some lightning in the airport area.  The pilot came over the speaker and said we were going to sit off of the gate for a while because of the lightning and the fear of somebody getting whacked by it.  I was down there for about 4 days, the day I flew back to ORD a named tropical storm (not a hurricane) was rolling in.  Was kind of weird that we got out of there on-time, despite the wind and heavy rain at times. 
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Offline Mosha

• AIG Honored Members
  • Command Captain
  • AIG Dispatch La-Un, Ranong, Thailand.
    • Alpha India Group
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 03:59:16 AM »
Why do we duck when it looks to be close?  :D I was looking out of our back door when I heard the crackle Looking up (as I ducked) it landed about 1/2 mile away. I learned later it struck a boat in the local river. The boat was tied to a tree with a length of chain. 3 locals were under the tree drinking. One of them a friend. He ended up with beautifully shaved legs. One of his companions was killed.
Regards, Steve

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."