Author Topic: Runway length question in my mailbox  (Read 1611 times)

Offline dusteagle

• Turbine 1st Officer
  • Flightplanner since 2001
    • dustEagle's Hideout
Runway length question in my mailbox
« on: January 27, 2008, 10:09:29 PM »
I received a question in my mailbox today for which I have no direct question. It relates to the BN Islanders flying routes in the East Frisian Islands in Germany, but I think it'll be relevant to other areas like the Caribbean and the Pacific. Suggestions welcome.

am trying to implement your flightplans, however, FS refuses to let AI aircraft take off if they are twins engine and the rwy is shorter that 1.200 m (which is the case on most islands in East Frisia). Did you find a workaround for that?
To boldly plan what no one has planned before.

Offline Mosha

• AIG Honored Members
  • Command Captain
  • AIG Dispatch La-Un, Ranong, Thailand.
    • Alpha India Group
Re: Runway length question in my mailbox
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 11:37:25 PM »
Where is Reggie Fields when you need him?

From the AFCAD help pages

AI get stuck on the runway preparing for takeoff
This can happen if there is no hold short node for the taxiway connection to the runway.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 11:43:46 PM by Mosha »
Regards, Steve

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline Mosha

• AIG Honored Members
  • Command Captain
    • Alpha India Group
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 10:52:28 AM »
Daan, this is certainly one for Reggie. Could it be the stupidly short flights being undertaken?
I have posted a question where I know Reggie will see it. It's as secret as this place is.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 11:13:17 AM by Mosha »
Regards, Steve

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline cattz

• Command Captain
    • Longsite
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 01:52:38 PM »
It's as secret as this place is.
Not that secret; I've just read this from the open website door :o
(and I know that other secret place too ;D)
A tired painter who tried really ought to retire!
A project very close to my heart: http://www.woolverstonewish.org.uk/

Jet lag? - Prop up your sim. www.longsite.co.uk for repaint links.

Offline HankyPanky

• Command Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 10:12:05 PM »
Well everyone likes to believe, he knows a secret place  ;)

@Daan: Yes, this is of course an issue. I never tested it to a final conclusion, but when I implemented my first traffic in that and other similar regions, I came up with this problem also.

I remember that I've played with different AIR files and CFG parameters and AFD also to solve that, and one day it worked. And now some FLN and others are flying.

But unfortunately I never figured out, what it was definitely - as at that times I did these tests not under labor conditions.
Always happy landings
Dieter/EDDM

Some are straightforward, and others are tied to mother's apron strings.. I like the straightforward ones and am in with good terms.

Nunc est bibendum ..

Offline Mosha

• AIG Honored Members
  • Command Captain
    • Alpha India Group
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 11:51:22 PM »
This is what Reggie says.

Which airport?

Runway length will force a TDBB flightplan to not compile - but will not affect a TTools flight plan.

I've done tests with B747's on very short grass runways - landing and takeoff.

They run through a lot of trees - but as long as they don't hit water they will takeoff and land.

I've also done tests with airport right next to each other - less than a mile apart.

I believe Juist - EDWJ - might be the airport in question.

First thing I would do is remove the start locations for the two grass runways and mark both ends as closed for takeoff and landing.

I don't think an Islander would actually takeoff on the 698M default runway - but it should try. Not sit at the end of the runway until it times out.

I've had no real trouble with Caravans (Henry's or the default aircraft) not being able to make a takeoff from the 609M runway at GANS (TFFA) or the 762M runway at LSAN (TFFS).

The key though was to make sure the aircraft entered the runway only at the ends - because the runways are so short if the aircraft enters any place else, it will not taxi to the end but turn and attempt to takeoff from that point.
Regards, Steve

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 12:42:19 AM »
Here in Denmark we have a BN-2B that lands and takeoffs on a grass runway with a length of "only" 650 meters.
Regards

Johan Clausen

Offline Reggie

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 04:20:26 PM »
I've run some tests in those islands, in FS2004 and FSX.

I've had no trouble with the default Be-58 taking off on any of the default runways. I have not tried the Islander - yet - too involved in the annual MSFS Around-The-World-Race preparations.

The Mooney as AI does not like to land on the shortest runways. It takes a very tight approach to get it down in time.

I would expect turbo-props to have issues with very short runways for takeoff due to the math used to select runways.

FSX does have a change from FS2004 in takeoff runway selection - multi-engine pistons prefer runways over 5,000 feet long.

In FS2004 piston aircraft of any engine configuration preferred the shortest runway over 4,000 feet long.
Old, Bald and Fat