Author Topic: What marketing reasons justify a logojet? / Cost of a repaint?  (Read 964 times)

Offline Dubstar

• Turbine 2nd Officer
Hi guys,

I've got some questions for the real world aviation gurus:

What are good reasons for both the companys and the airline to establish a marketing cooperation that results in a Logojet?

Also, which european airlines are notorious for having lots of logojets?

(I'm particularly interested in the circumstances of the Hed Kandi Deal with Monarch)

Last but not least: How much ��� does an aircraft repaint cost?

Would be great if you can share your insights with me.  ;)
Regards,
Sebastian

Core i3-530 (2x 2,93 GHz) - GIGABYTE H55M-UD2H MATX - 8GB Kingston DDR 3 RAM 1333MHz - Gainward GeForce GTX760 - LG GH22NS - WesternDigital WD6400AAKS - Intel  IMHMW3 SSD 80GB - FSX Accelearation - Win 7 64bit

Offline Klemen

• AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
Re: What marketing reasons justify a logojet? / Cost of a repaint?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 05:23:16 PM »
Adria covered 2 painting of CRJ-200 by taking one logojet. Painting of 737 is around 50.000$, my last info if I remember correct.

Area ATC | Ljubljana Radar | LJLA

Offline Andy

• Super K!
  • Administrator
  • Command Captain
  • Bear with a Sore Head
    • Flickr Photos by ME. :)
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 05:26:21 PM »
Air Europa would be a good case study for what you are looking at.

The advertising premium surely will cover and exceed the cost of producing the stickers / painting the aircraft, and the added weight of the advertisement.
Live life for the accomplishments, not for the compliments.

My photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/Sud-Est/

Offline vc-10

• Command Captain
  • Fly Embraer Jets!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:06:38 PM »
I can't imagine that those stickers cost that much to put on (£5,000 cost to the airline?) but they'll go for much more than that. They're only temporary, not the long lasting stickers like you get on Frontier's tails or something.

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Senior Captain
  • C208B-LET410-B1900-DH8C-PA34-PC12, B200 & DA42
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 02:12:10 PM »
Germanwings would be the most obvious case of repainting the airplane into a virtually new livery, Bearbus, Park Inns, that kind of thing. Ryanair did that sort of thing bigtime when they were operating the 737-200, I think now they only have the "Cable & Useless" logojet still flying around. Plus they added all those snide jabs at the full-service carriers on several of their jets (and the Catalunya etc marketing ones had just a few words and a small logo).

Adria's CRJs, already mentioned, I think 3 or 4 of those fly with significantly new colors.

The other factor in the cost for the advertiser is probably how long the airline is going to "run the advertisement" for them. If it is between 2 D-checks, it might actually cost a bit less per year because the airline would be stripping the paint anyway - no special effort and no taking the plane out of service for a repaint that's not on a D-check (eg after a couple years).

Southwest also have their logojets for Maryland (yay!), New Mexico, etc etc, plus the Shamus (they got the Whalejet way before Singapore). I've not looked into who pays for the Maryland etc liveries, although I bet the state in question is more than happy to help.

Also America Wors West had most of their 757s in state colors. If that was just AWE waving a flag, it can't have cost too much!  :D

For the airline its simply a question of $$$, they're not in the charity business. I guess the advertiser feels the same way about an airplane as any billboard in a prime location by a road someplace. If they want to get airline travellers thinking about buying (and maybe their customer catchment are frequent flyers) then an airplane's a pretty logical place to advertise.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 02:15:39 PM by Per Ardua Ad Ars »
Idealogically suspect religious arrogance exterminates life.
Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich. Ustinov.
The sadly-mortal George Carlin on soft language

Offline vc-10

• Command Captain
  • Fly Embraer Jets!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 04:32:24 PM »
Ryanair get bribed paid to fly to certain airports, and I thought part of the deal was that they put something on a plane (like the Catalunya one)?

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Senior Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 06:08:21 PM »
More than likely. I'm not sure whether its the airport that puts up the cash or the local department of commerce (I think the latter). They hope people will go there and drop some serious $$$ in the area. The fact that most folks probably pay for a fare to the place they really wanted to visit is beside the point (I spent more in Pisa at the Trenitalia autovending machines on the rail platform than I ever did in the city center, nice though parts of it are).

Pity I can't visit this year (due to a Certain Person's own travel schedule). I could sure use some "getting out of England" for a while.
Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich. Ustinov.

Offline vc-10

• Command Captain
  • Fly Embraer Jets!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 06:14:45 PM »
Let me guess, hopped on a train to Florence? My parents did that, flew out (for considerably less than Ryanair) with BA to Pisa, and took the train to Florence city centre. My mum is an art historian (or was, before she started looking after me and my siblings! ;D  She does her own art when were all at school) so loves visiting all the museums and churches there. Her favorite painting is in Florence. They want to go again, and have promised to take me if I do well in my AS levels... :yeah:

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Senior Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 08:26:56 PM »
Her favorite painting is in Florence.

Let me guess - "Birth of Venus" by Botticelli? A bit obvious, but its a beautiful painting all the same.

I'll bet she likes the "Golden Hour" in Florence also (if she's a painter she'll know what that is, and why it isn't in a gallery).

Yup, Florence, then a drive up into the hills, evenings of wine, nightingales, and a sunset you hope will never end. If I could live there I surely, surely would.

And its nice of you to spell favourite my way!  ;D

Offline vc-10

• Command Captain
  • Fly Embraer Jets!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 08:47:34 PM »
Oops.. I managed to install an American English dictionary for Firefox, and saw the red line and just corrected it without thinking. :oops: