Author Topic: 60th Anniversary of the Berlin airlift  (Read 570 times)

Offline Mosha

• AIG Honored Members
  • Command Captain
  • AIG Dispatch La-Un, Ranong, Thailand.
    • Alpha India Group
60th Anniversary of the Berlin airlift
« on: May 27, 2008, 11:46:31 PM »
Today marks the 60th anniversay of the Berlin airlift. Can you imagine an aircraft landing every 20 seconds
Regards, Steve

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline rke

• Senior Captain
Re: 60th Anniversary of the Berlin airlift
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:32:25 AM »
Hm, aren't you a month early? ::confused::

I'm fairly sure the blockade itself didn't start until June, so I doubt the airlift could have started until then ???

But it must have been an incredible sight, especially during the day where they decided to really flex the muscles of the Allied air command by shattering all records. Also, a special mention must be given to the seaplane crews that flew in and out of Berlin, that must have been a fairly unusual experience landing on a river in the middle of Berlin! :)

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:29:38 AM »
Yeah. 1 months early:

On June 24, 1948, LeMay appointed Brigadier General Joseph Smith, commander of the Wiesbaden Military Post, as the Task Force Commander of the airlift. On June 25, 1948, Clay gave the order to launch Operation Vittles. The next day thirty-two C-47 cargo planes lifted off for Berlin hauling 80 tons of cargo including milk, flour, and medicine. The first British aircraft flew on June 28. At that time, the airlift was expected to last three weeks.
Regards

Johan Clausen

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Turbine Captain
  • C208B-LET410-B1900-DH8C-PA34-PC12, B200 & DA42
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 07:10:07 PM »
Today marks the 60th anniversay of the Berlin airlift. Can you imagine an aircraft landing every 20 seconds

Of course I can, I use FS! Every time I start the thing up I see a load of flocking aircraft. Too flocking many, in fact.
Idealogically suspect religious arrogance exterminates life.
Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich. Ustinov.
The sadly-mortal George Carlin on soft language