Author Topic: PhotoScenery  (Read 1062 times)

Offline tfkdougal

• Turbine 1st Officer
PhotoScenery
« on: September 14, 2014, 01:04:44 AM »
This is my favourite type of non airport scenery to use since it requires no autogen but is there like a list of these somewhere?

The main one I can see are MegaScenery and while they're good they don't have like an upcoming product list or anything so it's a bit hit and hope!

there's also horizon but that's just the uk really and megascenery has done that as well apart from scotland which i'm presuming they'll do at some point

so any pointers on some good photo scenery would be good!

p.s one extra question, what would be recommend to use alongside the new iberia/express plans for air nostrum since they're not being done these seasons like to avoid conflicts etc?

Offline regulate

• AIG Dispatch Beta Tester
  • Command Captain
    • Weather Underground
Re: PhotoScenery
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 06:08:51 AM »
I have helped Dean Mountford with the testing of photoscenery for his products ( for the last several years).  His techniques are better than Megascenery with color blending of original photo data (different shades of lighting and coloring, blending then to look close to one set of original data) , and he is adding night lighting, autogen buildings and forests.   His company just started up again recently and can be found at http://store.ultimatevfr.com/    I usually not one to plug products too much, and I don't get anything for doing so.   Dean is a one man operation, and the kind of people that I like to give our (flight simulator community) support.   Not sure if any areas he has done so far would appeal to you, but keep an eye out, he has big plans. 

Brian Summers (KONT/ONT)
AIG Flightplans Beta Tester
Prepar3D 4.5

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 06:13:16 AM »
Air Nostrum flights are only on smaller planes like CRJ-900, ATR etc. I'm sure you can go and use the last Air Nosturm flightplans, made by AIG. aig_iberiaregional_winter_2012-2013.zip at avsim.
Regards

Johan Clausen

Offline flying finn

• Turbine Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 06:56:16 AM »
I can recomend free but payware quality photo sceneries of Finland made by Esa Sairio. They have seasons, nights, maching autogen etc. Add FinlandX to that and result is suberb!
http://www.fsnordic.net/Files
â??Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of geniusâ??and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. â?
-E. F. Schumacher 1973

Offline sprocky

• Command Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 11:12:28 AM »
You did not mention a specific region. The site blueskyscenery.com has TBs of freeware photo scenery. It is mainly US and in the past few years the development concentrated on the western part of the USA. The first ones were not so good but the newer ones are great. I like to fly KLAS-KLAX in my sim and enjoy the photo scenery.
Jan
WoAI
FF: 1995 - - - 100th flight: 12th November 2010

Offline Panthera

• Turbine 1st Officer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 11:27:04 AM »
I've been using Italian photoscenery for the last couple of weeks. Its LOD14, so very close to ground sharpness is lost, but as long as you fly 1,500 feet above ground level its very good looking. It also comes with complete autogen with even small villages and lone houses receiving 3d objects and motorways traffic. Obviously there are still flat areas, but it's not completely flat and dead.

At 44gb its quite the package, but if you're in a VFR mood its completely worth it, by now flying without photoscenery would be boring to me.

You can find it here: http://fsxitaly.mygamesonline.org/index.php/download only in Italian, but installation is straightforward.
Regards, Arnout

Offline tfkdougal

• Turbine 1st Officer
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 12:37:49 PM »
I have helped Dean Mountford with the testing of photoscenery for his products ( for the last several years).  His techniques are better than Megascenery with color blending of original photo data (different shades of lighting and coloring, blending then to look close to one set of original data) , and he is adding night lighting, autogen buildings and forests.   His company just started up again recently and can be found at http://store.ultimatevfr.com/    I usually not one to plug products too much, and I don't get anything for doing so.   Dean is a one man operation, and the kind of people that I like to give our (flight simulator community) support.   Not sure if any areas he has done so far would appeal to you, but keep an eye out, he has big plans.

Just took a look and it definitely looks like it would be worth a look when more areas are done!

Air Nostrum flights are only on smaller planes like CRJ-900, ATR etc. I'm sure you can go and use the last Air Nosturm flightplans, made by AIG. aig_iberiaregional_winter_2012-2013.zip at avsim.

So I'm taking it there would be no over lapping between these and the newest Iberia plans?

I can recomend free but payware quality photo sceneries of Finland made by Esa Sairio. They have seasons, nights, maching autogen etc. Add FinlandX to that and result is suberb!
http://www.fsnordic.net/Files

From what I can see there isn't too much coverage for FSX or am I missing something? From the bits that are covered it looks really good!

You did not mention a specific region. The site blueskyscenery.com has TBs of freeware photo scenery. It is mainly US and in the past few years the development concentrated on the western part of the USA. The first ones were not so good but the newer ones are great. I like to fly KLAS-KLAX in my sim and enjoy the photo scenery.

The regions I fly in would be North America (Canada & USA), Europe, Middle East & Australiasia really!

I've been using Italian photoscenery for the last couple of weeks. Its LOD14, so very close to ground sharpness is lost, but as long as you fly 1,500 feet above ground level its very good looking. It also comes with complete autogen with even small villages and lone houses receiving 3d objects and motorways traffic. Obviously there are still flat areas, but it's not completely flat and dead.

At 44gb its quite the package, but if you're in a VFR mood its completely worth it, by now flying without photoscenery would be boring to me.

You can find it here: http://fsxitaly.mygamesonline.org/index.php/download only in Italian, but installation is straightforward.

Does that cover all of Italy? If so that would be worth the download! & Is San Marino & the islands covered?

Thanks everyone!

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 12:48:10 PM »

So I'm taking it there would be no over lapping between these and the newest Iberia plans?

Yes. And if there is, it'll be very limited.
Regards

Johan Clausen

Offline Panthera

• Turbine 1st Officer
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 01:00:44 PM »
Does that cover all of Italy? If so that would be worth the download! & Is San Marino & the islands covered?

Thanks everyone!

San Marino is covered (its only a small patch of land right in the middle of Italy). There's a separate package for Sicilia available on the same site, similarly the small islands of the coast of Tuscany (Elba Island group) is also separately available. Actually I haven't flown to Sardinia yet, so I don't know if it's included (but I figure its not since Sicilia isn't either). In case it's not, there is a separate package for Sardinia available on Avsim, search for Sardinia photoreal, but that package is lacking night lighting.
Regards, Arnout

Offline flying finn

• Turbine Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 01:56:28 PM »

From what I can see there isn't too much coverage for FSX or am I missing something? From the bits that are covered it looks really good!

You are correct, it only covers major cities, some towns, tourist destinations and areas around major airports. But as most of Finland is homeginous forests and bogs without landmarks, save water features and roads FinlandX covers missing parts well.
â??Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of geniusâ??and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. â?
-E. F. Schumacher 1973

Offline jhaley101

• Command Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 01:36:05 AM »

Tonight, I purchased Guam after checking out his scenery page (thanks to your link) and we messaged back and forth a bit.   Guam is a terrific job and I like what he is doing with autogen compared to some other photoscenery developers.   Like XTremeCities that was released today, there is some excellent development for FSX and P3D going on.    Thanks for the link, my only wish is there would be more and larger releases and that we would get some seasonal textures involved.     Well, XtremeCities is okay for seasonal textures, but the other projects are apparently size restrictive. 

JH

Offline regulate

• AIG Dispatch Beta Tester
  • Command Captain
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 01:54:17 AM »

Tonight, I purchased Guam after checking out his scenery page (thanks to your link) and we messaged back and forth a bit.   Guam is a terrific job and I like what he is doing with autogen compared to some other photoscenery developers.   Like XTremeCities that was released today, there is some excellent development for FSX and P3D going on.    Thanks for the link, my only wish is there would be more and larger releases and that we would get some seasonal textures involved.     Well, XtremeCities is okay for seasonal textures, but the other projects are apparently size restrictive. 

JH

Dean is a good guy, and hopefully he can continue on his current path.  He is a little bit of a mad scientist, bouncing from one idea to another, but ultimately his products are really good.  He has taken a lot of time trying to automate processes to make it more feasible to have autogen, lighting etc.  Highly unlikely you will see any seasons, a least with the photo real textures.  Too much data. 
Brian Summers (KONT/ONT)
AIG Flightplans Beta Tester
Prepar3D 4.5