Author Topic: VATSIM repository project  (Read 797 times)

Offline RobW94

• AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
    • Flying Carpet Hub
VATSIM repository project
« on: June 12, 2013, 07:26:39 PM »
Hey guys,

Anyobdy else had this email from VATSIM? What have you sent them in repsonse if any? I'm undecided whether I will opt in or out  :-\

Hello flight simulator enthusiast,

I am writing to you on behalf of our VATSIM repository project. We kindly ask you as a modeler or painter to support the project (http://vrep.vatsim-germany.org/Index.php).

In a nutshell:  Whatâ??s the idea?

VATSIM wants to bundle models and paintings, provide an installer and hence allow its members to rely on a common and well defined set of aircrafts. In the long run we will implement new exiting features. The repository will be available for everyone, regardless whether he is a VATSIM member or not.

Support is easy:  Can we use your models / paintings please?

If you agree to support the project, please allow us to use your models and / or paintings. Either respond to this email, let us know that we can use your models and where we can find them (Example: â??I am Joe Doe and hereby grant you the right to use all my models and paintings from www.joedoesite.dummyâ?).

Or just register yourself http://vrep.vatsim-germany.org/DonateModels.php and either provide the models as upload or an URL as reference.

You need to be the legal owner of the models / paintings as you grant VATSIM the non-exclusive right to use them. Of course, you remain owner of your great work and it is up to you to use the models / paintings in any fashion you like. As you can see here (http://vrep.vatsim-germany.org/FAQs.php#tocRights), the terms are fair and easy. No commercial usage, and no exclusive rights!

Iâ??d be great if you could support the project, we are looking forward hearing from. We appreciate your support.

Please do us a favor:

a.If you decide not to support the project, please reply as well, a simple â??will not supportâ? as response is already enough. At least we know the email has reached you. If you would tell us the reason, why you cannot support the project, even better. Maybe we can improve something.
b.Feel free to forward this email to your fellow developer colleagues as well. We do not have contact data of all model developers / painters we need. So if you can let your colleagues know, it helps a lot.

Further information about the project can be found here: http://vrep.vatsim-germany.org/FAQs.php

Thanks in advance.

Regards

VATSIM Repository Project
Robert Williams
AIG Dispatch | Flying Carpet Hub | FAIB Beta

Offline Kyle M.

• Command Captain
  • Without a Heart, it's just a Machine - KDEN
    • Kyle's AI Works
Re: VATSIM repository project
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 09:46:40 PM »
Is this just AI works or paints and models from the entire FS community?

Offline russian

• Command Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 11:00:11 PM »
Sounds like they are trying to get what ever they can get. More focus is most likely on the commercial side and I am sure they are compiling a list of most commonly flown airlines and aircraft models on the VATSIM network and will build from there.

Offline drpilot900

• Turbine 2nd Officer
    • Doug's Flights of Fancy
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 01:03:55 AM »
I got it too. I wonder how they compiled their list of developers?  ::confused::

I haven't sent a response as of yet. Waiting to see what most of you are doing with this.
I say "If your not having fun why bother?"

My repaints and other stuff available at: Doug's Flights of Fancy

Offline Target

• Command Captain
  • Checks AIG too often
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 06:01:26 AM »
I'm guessing it is a bit like WOAI, just without the flightplans. I would say they are asking for AI models (and then the accompanying paints) bcs they have LODs and are framerate friendly to display in place of a full-blown UI model and some people might not have. They do have some of the big fly-in stuff where AI models would help people keep a decent framerate.
I did see in a MAIW forum entry (think the AI modeling section) that one modeller was thinking about stopping doing AI models for a while and just do multiplayer ones and said that there are a few differences, so I'm not completely sure about my hypothesis stated above.

Best regards,

Phil
Der Pessimist sieht nur ein Tunnel,
der Optimist sieht ein Tunnel und das Licht am Ende
und der Realist, der sieht den Tunnel, das Licht und den kommenden Zug

Offline russian

• Command Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 06:30:48 AM »
Supposedly there is a way to have other people on VATSIM show up using the correct aircraft and repaints. But it is all dependent on what the user has available on their system ( or so I think). I never used FSINN. But when I had all of my AI on my sim and was using Squawkbox I would always see other users with the respective livery of the airline they were flying for. I am thinking this is the gist of what this project is for. The majority of users either see the weird triangle plane or the VIP.

Offline Sloeber

• Senior Captain
  • Get you Sh** and get out!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 08:28:53 AM »
Showing correct models and repaints has everything to do with the naming convention (fltsim entry) in the aircraft.cfg. And when the names don't match, you'll get the default aircraft (e.g. the cessna 182 in FS9 I believe it was..)
Beam me up Scotty, there's no Intelligent life down here!

Offline geoffco

• Turbine 1st Officer
    • Virtual blue1
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 09:28:54 AM »
Isn't this just the same idea as the MTL library of the IVAO network (http://mtl.ivao.aero/)? I have only really flown online in IVAO and not VATSIM, but I'd always assumed that both would have had a similar solution for the multiplayer traffic.. Perhaps I've misunderstood?

Geoff

Offline Northeastern292

• Turbine 1st Officer
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 06:35:12 PM »
I love FSINN, but even I have issues with AI aircraft showing up correctly. That being said though, AIG models and paints make my VATSIM experience more enjoyable, so I approve of this repository idea.

Problem though is that some of us might run into issues if we already have AI set up (like I do, since when I get tired with flying I go virtual plane spotting!)
Sasha
KSWF/KMSV/KJFK/KLGA
FSX

Offline russian

• Command Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 12:11:37 AM »
Has nothing to do with the Repository Project but I would fly more often on VATSIM if there was more ATC and more consistency. Us fliers in the US don't get to have the in depth ATC that is largely provided in the UK and Europe on an almost daily basis. We only see that type of activity during events. And those usually only feature a main ARTCC with maybe the neighboring ones getting on.

Offline Northeastern292

• Turbine 1st Officer
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 05:51:11 PM »
Has nothing to do with the Repository Project but I would fly more often on VATSIM if there was more ATC and more consistency. Us fliers in the US don't get to have the in depth ATC that is largely provided in the UK and Europe on an almost daily basis. We only see that type of activity during events. And those usually only feature a main ARTCC with maybe the neighboring ones getting on.

Europeans also have more time to enjoy hobbies unlike us American workaholics..   :-X

And I think for some, VATSIM is daunting. It's not. Takes time and practice.

Sasha
KSWF/KMSV/KJFK/KLGA
FSX

Offline russian

• Command Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 09:21:41 PM »
I think Europeans are just more die hard for the hobby in general. A lot of big time developers and FS software and utilities have come from Europe. Not to go without saying great contributions come from the US or anywhere else for that matter. Just has been my observation. (Tools like Maps2bgl, Tileproxy, all done by Euro developers.