Author Topic: Chicago Ohare runway question  (Read 633 times)

Offline COA732

• Command Captain
Chicago Ohare runway question
« on: June 19, 2014, 09:34:53 PM »
Anybody know the trend to the runways there? Are they all open for takeoff and landing? Or are some just takeoff, and some just landing runways.
Jamie

Tinton Falls, NJ
United States

An Afcad is never finished, it is only abandoned.

Offline csturdiv

• Aviation nerd and half-assed aviation photographer
  • AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
  • Part time Aussie flightplanner
Re: Chicago Ohare runway question
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 06:13:37 PM »
My office is about 15-20 minutes from ORD and typically I see them using 9 and the 10s for arrivals and departures, depending on the winds.  However not today though.  I do not see any arrivals or departures out of my office window (which faces to the south)  Some days the departures come right over Schaumburg, where my office is, and I think they are departing from the 32s.  I actually enjoy those days, seeing the heavies climb out over the building, it seems that when they cross the area by my office they bank to the north.  My last few times that I have flown into Chicago, we were always landing to the west, which I always enjoy as we get a chance to see some of downtown.
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Offline rke

• Senior Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 08:10:05 PM »

Offline COA732

• Command Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 09:31:29 PM »
My office is about 15-20 minutes from ORD and typically I see them using 9 and the 10s for arrivals and departures, depending on the winds.  However not today though.  I do not see any arrivals or departures out of my office window (which faces to the south)  Some days the departures come right over Schaumburg, where my office is, and I think they are departing from the 32s.  I actually enjoy those days, seeing the heavies climb out over the building, it seems that when they cross the area by my office they bank to the north.  My last few times that I have flown into Chicago, we were always landing to the west, which I always enjoy as we get a chance to see some of downtown.
Looking at youtube videos, it seems like the largest 10/28 runway is in heavy use for takeoffs and landings. This is very hard to duplicate in FS because almost a third of arriving traffic want to use that runway, and its also a favorite for departures.

This might be relevant: http://www.fly.faa.gov/Information/west/zau/ord/ord_aar1.htm
Helps tremendously. Thanks.
Jamie

Tinton Falls, NJ
United States

An Afcad is never finished, it is only abandoned.

Offline boxflyer89

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 12:42:30 PM »
Well 32L/14R is closed so no more departures from 32L/TT.  Now ORD is mainly using 22L and 28R/EE when in west flow, and 10L/DD, 9R, and sometimes 4L when in east flow.