Author Topic: My hard drive crashed  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Big777jet

• Command Captain
My hard drive crashed
« on: September 10, 2014, 11:22:34 PM »
HI Y'All,

I am very upset with Dell company that they put Hard Drive when brand new PC 2 years ago.  My friend found Hard Drive was crashed but not able to pull out all my flight simulator files ALL GONE!!!!   The hard drive made from Seagate.  The seagate is very bad company and short life. I DID NOT know anything I can't see inside tower.  I was ANGRY at Dell and HD.   Thanks a million to Dell buy cheap HD.  My friend says  better WD (Western Digital) I bought a new HD with 1 TG.  I don't know how long I'll be back with flight simulator. I have a million of flight plans and repaint textures blah blah are gone!!!!   I am so furious!    ::mad::  It would have take me a year to complete my flight simulator back to normal.     ::fighting::   My friend will get me to buy a back up files server with wifi all the time back up if HS crashed. I would not able to lose it ever AGAIN!   I did not know about HD thanks to Dell. I am very upset with them.  Short live and new PC and $$$$.  What a dork! 

Stuart

Offline Kyle M.

• Command Captain
  • Without a Heart, it's just a Machine - KDEN
    • Kyle's AI Works
Re: My hard drive crashed
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 11:27:51 PM »
Sometime it doesn't matter what brand the HD is. I had a brand new, pretty high end one and it crashed two months after I bought it.

Hard Drives are fickle. They don't like sudden power changes or to be tinkered with a lot.

Always, always back up.

Offline Big777jet

• Command Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 11:53:43 PM »
I have power surge.  I dont understand why.  Yes, I will have to buy back up server ASAP. 

Stuart

Offline atco

• AIG Dispatch Painter
  • Command Captain
  • Notepad Ninja
    • ATCO Repaints
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 11:56:29 PM »
Yup, I'm currently uploading 4TB of data from my entire system (4 HD's) to Backblaze, the online backup company. About halfway through currently.
I also backup to external Hard Drives, so that I have a local backup and now will have an off site backup as well.

I highly recommend Backblaze. Totally unlimited backup solution.

I have thankfully only ever had one HD go on me and thankfully it didn't really have too much on it I really wanted to keep, but the fact is that at some point this is something everyone will deal with. As Kyle says, if you have data that is valuable or important to you you MUST back up.
For example all my aviation and family photos, which are priceless to me are backed up on a local HD in my system, an external USB HD, on Blu Ray discs and now on Backblaze.

Edit - Also always have your PC plugged into a surge protected power bar. I have surge protectors on all my computer and TV equipment.
Vectors to nowhere, around nobody for no reason

Offline Dimon

• Command Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 12:32:08 AM »
I got Dropbox Pro with 1TB for $100 per year.  Backing up both FS2004/FSX, music, photos, even some business staff. Keep in mind that you WILL NEVER be able to back-up actual sim installation as many addons would require reactivation.
FS AI Enthusiast since 2002

I7-9900k@5.0 Stable OC,  RTX2080Ti, 32GB RAM W10Pro
P3D V4.5HF2

Offline Dave YVRATC

• Command Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 04:22:00 AM »
 I've had more WD drives fail on me than Seagate's, it's actually about 5 vs 3 in the past 8 years.  Drives fail, have backups. Even better is to have backups of your backups.

Offline flying finn

• Turbine Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 04:53:22 AM »
There is some company in Norway that does miracles with crashed hard drives if you are prepared to bay big bucks for it. Remaimds me to do backup actually.
â??Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of geniusâ??and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. â?
-E. F. Schumacher 1973

Offline Dimon

• Command Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 06:02:19 PM »
There is some company in Norway that does miracles with crashed hard drives if you are prepared to bay big bucks for it. Remaimds me to do backup actually.

There are same companies in US. They do cluster-by-cluster HD revitalization and it could have cost you around $400 bucks for 750GB HD in 2012 (true story).
FS AI Enthusiast since 2002

I7-9900k@5.0 Stable OC,  RTX2080Ti, 32GB RAM W10Pro
P3D V4.5HF2

Offline csturdiv

• Aviation nerd and half-assed aviation photographer
  • AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
  • Part time Aussie flightplanner
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 09:52:22 PM »
The number of our clients that have their own SQL server and not use our cloud SQL server environment and do not backup their databases or do not keep backups in a safe off-site place really amaze me.  We had so many clients that lost their entire system after Superstorm Sandy hit the NY area.  These clients called us in a panic, but there was nothing that we could do.  Hopefully these guys learned their lessons.
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Offline Big777jet

• Command Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 03:03:54 AM »
I saw somewhere I can't remember where do I find detail about compile flightplans for quicker than using TTools or manual collect aircraft.txt in aircraft folders.    I saw someone mention you don't have to copy and paste into aircraft.txt  you can select folder aircraft texture to complied aircraft.txt quicker.  How do I find them? What is called program?  I can't find them. I was using all the time manual aircraft.txt from new update aircraft.txt to into new flightplans. It is a lot of time of my hands typing, copy and paste.  I want to quicker. 

Thanks,

Stuart

Offline flying finn

• Turbine Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 03:16:00 AM »
The program you are looking for is AIFP.
â??Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of geniusâ??and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. â?
-E. F. Schumacher 1973

Offline Big777jet

• Command Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 03:28:57 AM »
The program you are looking for is AIFP.

I did it.  I do not find it. I don't know how to use it.  Where do I find click menu at? Can you show me how you use it?

Thanks,

Stuart

Offline flying finn

• Turbine Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 06:55:56 AM »
Unfortunately Stuar I have very difficult times at home so I can not  offer any help. I can only point you to AIFP home page. There is a good instructions for Flight Plan installer. http://stuff4fs.com/open.asp?Folder=AIFP&JS=TRUE

I'm also sure that users of this forum will help you in learning progress. AIFP in magic, it took me few weeks to get it but now I don't know how I managed with TTools. :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 06:58:37 AM by flying finn »
-E. F. Schumacher 1973