Author Topic: 45 years ago today.  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Mosha

• AIG Honored Members
  • Command Captain
  • AIG Dispatch La-Un, Ranong, Thailand.
    • Alpha India Group
45 years ago today.
« on: April 14, 2015, 12:25:34 AM »
Apollo XIII ran into problems that had the world sat on the edfe of their seats. Old farts will remember. I read the book. Watching the movie the 1st time left me drained, even if it was tarted up for the cinema.
Regards, Steve

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline flyingcarpet75

• Command Captain
    • The Flying Carpet Hub
Re: 45 years ago today.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 08:35:42 AM »
Apollo XIII ran into problems that had the world sat on the edfe of their seats. Old farts will remember. I read the book. Watching the movie the 1st time left me drained, even if it was tarted up for the cinema.

What I liked in the movie was the "DON'T" post-it that the pilot had put on the LEM separation button  ;D (for those who haven't seen the movie or are too old to remember it ;) when the crippled craft made the trip back to Earth, 2 astronauts were in the LEM that was supposed to land on the moon, and one in the command module, flying the spaceship. But since their oxygen reserve had been damaged, they were concerned that they might not have enough oxygen on board to make it back to Earth, and the pilot might have been tempted to eject the lunar module with the 2 guys inside and keep all the oxygen for himself, so he had put a large "DON'T" post-it on the separation button. I don't know though if this was made up for added drama in the movie or if it actually really happened!

::cheers::

Philippe
Visit my website http://www.flyingcarpet75.com for more repaints!

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 11:42:03 AM »
As a huge fan of the "From the Earth to the Moon" I loved the episode where Apollo 13 is mentioned. It's not about the spacecraft itself but about the media coverage of the accident, and how they made a lot of awful things to get the best possible story about the "successful failure".

I have seen the movie and even though I liked it, I'll stay with the FTETTM series.
Regards

Johan Clausen

Offline Mosha

• AIG Honored Members
  • Command Captain
  • AIG Dispatch La-Un, Ranong, Thailand.
    • Alpha India Group
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 03:02:43 AM »
Heck of a week for anniversaries.  April 15th 1912. Titanic sank
Regards, Steve

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline hawaiidick

• AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 08:12:57 AM »
April 15, 1865- Assassination of President Abraham Lincoln..150 years ago today.

heck of a week for anniversaries.
â?¢The more you know, the less you need. -Australian Aboriginal saying

Offline Jon

• AIG Dispatch Beta Tester
  • Command Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 02:06:01 PM »
Tax Day here in the US :'(
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
Nobody gives up a towering homerun like me.

Online Mr. JB

• Command Captain
  • Photoshop Junkie
    • Juergen's paint hangar
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 02:24:36 PM »
Five years ago, Eyjafjallajökull volcano stops complete controlled air traffic in middle europe.

Offline hawaiidick

• AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 07:13:12 PM »
April 15, 1947: Jackie Robinson makes his debut for the Brooklyn Dodgers breaking Major League Baseball's Color line.

Good times

Go Dodgers..
â?¢The more you know, the less you need. -Australian Aboriginal saying

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 07:50:18 PM »
2 very important ones here:

April 15 1952 â?? The maiden flight of the B-52 Stratofortress.

April 15 2013 - The bombs in Boston, during the Boston Marathon.
Regards

Johan Clausen

Offline flyingcarpet75

• Command Captain
    • The Flying Carpet Hub
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 08:25:18 PM »
Ah, yes, I had forgotten. 13 April 1975, beginning of the civil war in Lebanon. I was woken up in the middle of the night by a loud bang and wondered how on Earth could there be a thunderstorm in April? Then I heard people shooting rounds of Kalashnikov and understood it was not a storm, so I went back sleeping. The next morning, I discovered that the loud bang that I had mistaken for thunder was an RPG shell hitting the flat one or two floors above me  ;D
Visit my website http://www.flyingcarpet75.com for more repaints!

Online Nils

• AIG Dispatch Painter
  • Command Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 08:42:51 PM »
Ah, yes, I had forgotten. 13 April 1975, beginning of the civil war in Lebanon. I was woken up in the middle of the night by a loud bang and wondered how on Earth could there be a thunderstorm in April? Then I heard people shooting rounds of Kalashnikov and understood it was not a storm, so I went back sleeping. The next morning, I discovered that the loud bang that I had mistaken for thunder was an RPG shell hitting the flat one or two floors above me  ;D

While we're at the topic of war -> Battle for Berlin began with Soviet bombings on 16 April 1945
Get my repaints here:
http://www.juergenbaumbusch.de/