Author Topic: Would like to know more about the Handley Page HP-137 Jetstream aircraft  (Read 692 times)

Offline integral

• Turbine 2nd Officer
Hello !

As the title suggests, I would like to have some light about the HP137 model :
1) the engines
2) the other differences with later BAe JS31, JS Super 31 (as JS32) and JS32EP
3) and whether there are original HP137 models that have been updraded to BAe JS "features" (engines ?)

I've read both HP137 and JS31 pages of Wikipedia (to start with - I know they are not that thrustworthy)

I've visited Airliners.net, and so far, there are HP137 said models fitted with JS31/32-like engines which confuse me (this address info request #2)

HP137 Jetstream-1 is said having the french Turbomeca Astazou XIV (14) and the HP137 Jetstream 2 a "larger" (Wiki) Astazou one, the XVI (16). So far, I've found no picture of said "Jetstream 2", only "Jetstream 200", but Wiki said the "200" was the "2" production performed by Scottish Aviation when Handley Page went bankrupt. So I guess the "200" is fitted with the "larger" Astazou. Looking at the pictures, I see no exterior difference (nacele and prop cone). But what does that mean "larger" ? (this address info request #1)

Then, again (info request #1) I've found one "HP137 Jetstream 200" with a whole new engine nacele : OO-IBJ. It's not (as far as I know) the Garrett TPE337 engines which have intakes above the prop spinner. TPE337 engined HP137 are reffered as "Century III", and there are several pictures on the web. I've found another HP137, this one a "Century III", but with the non-TPE337 nacele. What is the engine ?

I'm in the process of setting up a Retro AI (and current) configuration, and there are two models :
- the PAI JS31/32 (with the No Cargo Pod version) which obviously stands for the BAe recent production
- the Dee Waldron HP137, which is - if I understand well - the HP137 Jetstream 1 or Jetstream 2 or Jetstream 200.

So far, there is no HP137 Century III model available, none with the unknown nacele, and none for the very few military/navy/electronic researches.

There are (tiny) differences in sizes between the PAI and DWAI models. Which leads me to another question : are there shapes, fins, or other aerodynamics differences between the two generation ? (JS31/32 vs HP137) Number of Windows are the same. Length is 1/2 inch different (Wiki). Wingspan same. Height same. From the pictures, I can't tell, everything seems roughly identical. (info request #3)

Side note : Both generations (HP137/JS3x) have been fitted with various electronic systems (Navy/Military trainers/Experimetal) I don't think those systems are specific to one generation. Right ?

I hope there are experts out there willing to help :) Thanks. Otherwise, no problem. I just didn't believe there are that much Jetstream versions until I looked for the actual pictures of some repaints on the web. I think I'll entirely repaint some.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:16:57 PM by integral »
Finally understood how UVW Maps works. O.O

Offline Target

• Command Captain
  • Checks AIG too often
Maybe larger meaning more powerful?
OO-IBJ looks more like a PT-6 conversion or so, as the Garrets have usually a rear exhaust, while the PT-6s usually come with those side exhausts.
I searched HP.137 PT-6 and this wiki article came up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Illinois
In it it says that Frakes appearently modified some HP.137s for PT-6s, namely N11DN and N7RJ

In terms of the size difference between PAI and DWAI.. probably just from modelling with different software, source material etc.

Best regards,

Phil
Der Pessimist sieht nur ein Tunnel,
der Optimist sieht ein Tunnel und das Licht am Ende
und der Realist, der sieht den Tunnel, das Licht und den kommenden Zug

Offline integral

• Turbine 2nd Officer
Maybe larger meaning more powerful?
OO-IBJ looks more like a PT-6 conversion or so, as the Garrets have usually a rear exhaust, while the PT-6s usually come with those side exhausts.
I searched HP.137 PT-6 and this wiki article came up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Illinois
In it it says that Frakes appearently modified some HP.137s for PT-6s, namely N11DN and N7RJ

In terms of the size difference between PAI and DWAI.. probably just from modelling with different software, source material etc.

Best regards,

Phil
Nice catch ! :)
Your mention of "PT6" did changed the way I made searches. Thanks a lot. And they are indeed PT6 engines. The said frames are registered being built with Astazou (14C) engines, but other resources (like rzjets.net) did specified their powerplant as PT6-60A, so the Frakes mod is the explanation. GREAT ! There are very few of them though, and I have to check for line number to avoid duplicates whenever possible (if I plan to bring those "special ones" back in the virtual skies, or repaint them)

Further searches made clear that HP137 and JS31/32 has the very same airframe (shape/size) but onboard systems, engines, cockpit and interior are slightly or heavily different. Nothing to get worried about if we only look at the exterior model.

And closer look at the Astazou (14/16) didn't highlight any exterior difference. ::confused:: More powerfull, that's probably what was meant. ;D Maybe a slightly larger spinner on the 16 (?) but it turns out to be perspective distorsion from a few pictures. Nothing worth checking.

Conclusion :
Every BAe JS31/32/32EP -> PAI JS31/JS31NP
HP137 Jetstream 1, 2 and 200 (with Astazou 14 & 16 engines) -> DWAI HP137
HP137 Century III with Garrett TPE337 -> PAI JS31/JS31NP (actual HP137 TPE337 nacele is smaller and pretty straight, but intake is at the correct place)
HP137 PT6-60A -> Whatever (but the PAI JS31 looks more suitable even if the intake is somewhat flipped upside down)
Military counterparts follows the same pattern.

Thanks a lot.
Finally understood how UVW Maps works. O.O