Author Topic: P3D - Question/Error  (Read 632 times)

Offline jhaley101

• Command Captain
P3D - Question/Error
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:00:46 PM »
One of the things I like with P3D is the check of the AI folder it does for duplicate entries and errors

Cleaned up a small number of errors, after installing the latest version today, taking a look at what's changed since I last had the sim installed. 

Anyway, this error, I cannot track down.    After searching the internet to learn about how to generate the Y with the two dots on top, I queried in the cfg, but I cannot find this error. 

[error.0] error=Key values exist outside of a section:  File:C:\FSX\Aircraft\AIA_EMB_190\aircraft.cfg  Key:ÿþ[

Thoughts?

JH

guest10572

Re: P3D - Question/Error
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 08:23:15 PM »
It seems to be saying that a/some key/s (value before =) which belongs to a particular section (something within one of the [ and ]) is in the wrong place.

[section]
key=

I have absolutely no idea how you would track that down. It could be in a [fltsim.x] section, or one of the parameter sections later (seems most likely). If it is in a [fltsim] section, you could check it with AI-Aircraft Editor. I very much doubt that it is in a fltsim section though, because it would just be perceived as part of the next or previous section. The only thing that I have found from time to time, is that somehow an entry or parts of one ends up at the end of the document, instead of the beginning where I keep all my entries.

If it is elsewhere, I don't know if there is a program that will check over the integrity of the parameters. Maybe check in parallel with another cfg, to see if there is anything out of the ordinary - scroll down, and check against the EMB-170 - they should be very similar.

I know that Notepad++ has a compare function (or a plugin) where you can load two files up, and it will show you the differences. Possibly take two blank text files, and copy everything below the [fltsim] sections into A.txt (190) and B.txt (170), and see what it picks up as differences. This is what I would try.

Is there anything in the online help regarding the cfg entries, or the error checking that it does?

Possibly look over at fsdeveloper, maybe post your question there as well.

Offline jhaley101

• Command Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 08:55:08 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the help.    I'll go through them carefully, see what I can come up with.

I noticed that all of my configs are saved ANSI (at least I think they are), but that the EMB190 was saved Unicode, making it a much larger file, at least by filesize.   I've resaved it as ANSI and will try and see if the error is duplicated.   

JH
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:57:19 PM by jhaley101 »

Offline jhaley101

• Command Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 08:56:50 PM »
That's it! 

Saving it ANSI gets rid of the error. 

JH

guest10572

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 10:29:45 AM »
Phew! At least that wasn't too much trouble to sort out, and something to keep in mind in the future.  :)

Offline SteveLewis

• AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
  • AIG Dispatch - North & South America
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 02:24:16 PM »
John,
     I'm a bit confused about how to update from v3.3 to v3.4.   The instructions say to delete the existing version and then install the new.   What folders, besides aircraft, scenery, & Add on Scenery do I have to copy over from the old version?

Steve
Prepar3D v4, Intel i5-2500k 3.30 GHz @ 4.22 GHz, GigaByte P67A-UD4-B3, Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti - 4 Gb DDR5,  Rosewill Xtreme RX850-S-B 850W, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit,  Dell S2209W 1920x1080 Screen

Offline Kaiii3

• AIG Technic
  • Command Captain
    • Kai's AFD Studio
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 02:33:35 PM »
John,
     I'm a bit confused about how to update from v3.3 to v3.4.   The instructions say to delete the existing version and then install the new.   What folders, besides aircraft, scenery, & Add on Scenery do I have to copy over from the old version?

Steve

I don't have P3D, but I would say since there are some add-ons copying files into the main texture older and into the effect folder you need to copy these files as well.

guest10572

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 02:39:34 PM »
John,

Steve

There are instructions on the announcement page (depending on how you want to update).

Also, somewhere in the forum, there are posts by Poppet, and the guy who beta tests for them (whose name is eluding me for the moment - I'm sure someone can add it in).

guest10572

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 02:42:39 PM »
Rob Ainscough!!

Offline SteveLewis

• AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
  • AIG Dispatch - North & South America
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 02:54:47 PM »
Well, I hate to admit it, but I read those instructions and I'm still confused.   ::goofy::   I see where I can update the Client without losing any of my AI but if I update the Scenery, do I have to copy over my Traffic folders? 

Steve
Prepar3D v4, Intel i5-2500k 3.30 GHz @ 4.22 GHz, GigaByte P67A-UD4-B3, Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti - 4 Gb DDR5,  Rosewill Xtreme RX850-S-B 850W, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit,  Dell S2209W 1920x1080 Screen

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 03:05:45 PM »
Uninstall the Client and then install the updated Client. That should work fine.
Regards

Johan Clausen

guest10572

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 03:13:50 PM »
What I do (bearing in mind that I keep my AI outside the P3D main folder), is that I copy the CFG files in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3, and then replace them after the update.

Specifically, of the cfg files I copy:

scenery.cfg and
simobjects.cfg.

I only add back entries that I know that I changed, because the new version may have changed some things.

Also, because I have moved my aircraft folders out of the P3D folder as well, I also copy

effects.cfg
fonts.cfg
gauges.cfg
sound.cfg

And then, also, I copy dll.xml

After that, if your info all sits in the P3D directory, you also should backup (and maybe copy back after) the following directories:

effects
gauges
fonts
simobjects ----> or at least the parts that you might have added that are not default - I'm not sure if the reinstall overwrites that.
NB sound\ATC\USEnglishBig.gvp >>>>>> This contains all of your ATC callsigns (I think we discussed this a short while back).

All of this is why I moved my AI and my aircraft out of the P3D root.

NB: I only add back entries in the cfg files that I know that I changed, or I know that an installer added - there may be changes in a new version, so I am cautious about just overwriting things.

Anyway, off the top of my head, this is all I can think of.

Also, and you will find topics about it on Avsim and the P3D forum, you should delete the contents of your shaders folder - I'm not 100% sure which one, I 'think' it's C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Shaders. I suggest you double check this before doing anything.

guest10572

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 03:18:31 PM »
Also, usually you have to re-register FSUIPC if you have that installed.

and, if you use traffic toolbox, you have to put it back as well. Usually you have to use the same version SDK as the version of P3D that you are updating to, so you might have to update the entry in dll.xml to reflect the new location (unless you have some standard location for the dll outside the P3D main folder). If I think of anything else, I'll add it.

If you made any changes to Prepar3d.cfg, then back that up too.
It's in C:\Users\<Your username>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
If nothing else, I copy it as a reference, so that I can copy my changes back after update.

Offline jhaley101

• Command Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 03:27:06 PM »
I wish I could help you with the update methodology, I started from scratch and I have not touched the program in quite a while.    I still enjoy some very old aircraft and yes....2D panels and the last time I tried, which was a while ago, they were not compatible.   May try it again.  I dont think I like the zoom settings in P3D but Im sure thats adjustable.   I remember I was VERY cranky about moving from FS9 to FSX too.   I may just sit tight and wait out 64 bit. 

Good luck Steve, sorry not much help. 

JH

guest10572

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 03:33:14 PM »
Uninstall the Client and then install the updated Client. That should work fine.

This should work fine, I just do all those backups just in case. I hate having to do it all over again.

EDIT: See here http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=120373&p=140836&hilit=version+upgrade#p140836

If you aren't changing the content, then ignore that bit.