Author Topic: Attention a.net photographers  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Capa

• Turbine Captain
  • Semper JBAI
Attention a.net photographers
« on: February 09, 2008, 08:28:37 PM »
Not a real concern for me, but some others might want to take a look further into this subject:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/aviation_photography/read.main/300181/

If that is really in their new terms of use, I'd pull my pictures off of a.net immediately.

(found through luchtzak.be)
If the helpdesk thinks your question is stupid, we will set you on fire.

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
Re: Attention a.net photographers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 09:03:58 PM »
Totally agree. I'll also remove mine.
Regards

Johan Clausen

Offline Andy

• Super K!
  • Administrator
  • Command Captain
  • Bear with a Sore Head
    • Flickr Photos by ME. :)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 09:36:45 PM »
Not good at all. Remove them now, whilst you still can.
Live life for the accomplishments, not for the compliments.

My photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/Sud-Est/

Dreamliner

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 08:36:12 AM »
While it does not affect me as an uploader to A.net, it makes me sad to see such a great source for plane pictures beeing in trouble now. As so often, the trouble looks "homemade".  >:(

Ralf

Offline dahlemann

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 04:55:51 PM »
I pull all my pictures off a.net, said to see how a.net destroys it's image. >:(

i like the reaction of JetP
http://www.jetphotos.net/photousage/
Cheers Jannik

Offline Capa

• Turbine Captain
  • Semper JBAI
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 06:46:09 PM »
Wonderfull reaction :D

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 07:07:21 PM »
I would like to know who you did when you asked them to remove your pictures. Haven't found any email-adress or so.

Jetphotos will be the new airliners.net.
Regards

Johan Clausen

Offline HankyPanky

• Command Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 11:25:35 PM »
It's the Google (or other engines) business krake - and they will catch also other sites, briefly or long.
Always happy landings
Dieter/EDDM

Some are straightforward, and others are tied to mother's apron strings.. I like the straightforward ones and am in with good terms.

Nunc est bibendum ..

Offline md11forever

• AI Pirate. Yaaarr!
  • Command Captain
  • I've moved on to FSX
    • My Photos on Flickr!
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 04:36:36 PM »
Wow, that's really sad. Makes me glad I pulled all my photos off both A.net and JP.net a couple months ago in favor of Flickr.
Big business strikes again.
George Widener

Now Rockin' FSX via Alienware

Offline Capa

• Turbine Captain
  • Semper JBAI
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 04:40:32 PM »
Depending on who gets their hands on yahoo, flickr might be going a similar way sooner or later. I fear sooner.

Offline dahlemann

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 05:07:23 PM »
I would like to know who you did when you asked them to remove your pictures. Haven't found any email-adress or so.

I used the mail you find in About --> Contact Us (A Correction on information..)

But i received thes mail today:
Dear Jannik,

We hereby acknowledge the receipt of your message asking for the deletion of your photos from Airliners.net.  We understand that this is a decision that you would not make lightly.  It pains us that this situation has come to pass.

Although it is your right to delete your photos if you so wish, we suspect that the reason for the deletion is your disagreement with the new TOU (Terms of Use) which we published Friday, Feb.8.

However, Demand Media made a big mistake by swiftly introducing this new TOU (a clone from other Demand Media's websites), on a request of Demand Media's Legal and Administrative Departments, without sufficiently studying the consequences for the photographers and their rights to their own photos.  We deeply apologize for that. Demand Media never intended to harm the rights of the photographers and Airliners.net has always been, and still is, totally committed to respecting and protecting the full rights of the photographers.
Therefore the new TOU has been completely withdrawn and a new TOU will be written reflecting the interests of the photographers.  ALL rights will stay with the photographer.  Photographers will always be credited for their work and no modification or advertising will ever go in/on your photos.
As the reason you gave for your request has now been removed, we kindly ask you to reconsider your deletion request until a new revised TOU is published. You can then judge if you agree with that or not and if you still want to delete your photos.

We can assure you that the Airliners.net crew of around 70 people are all dedicated aviation enthusiasts just like you, and most of them are aircraft photographers too, some for 45 years already.  For them too, a TOU that looks after the interests of the photographers is of paramount importance.

We share a common passion for aviation.  Together we have built up and maintained the largest community where people can share and view aviation pictures in an unsurpassed database. We sincerely hope that you will continue to be a contributor and share your pictures with all the other photographers and aviation enthusiasts here. And not to forget, to benefit from the exposure that you get from people in the aviation industry and from the general public at the most visited aviation photo website in the world.

Best regards,

The Airliners.net Crew

Paulo Emanuele, General Manager
Peter Vercruijsse, Chief Database Editor
Tim de Groot, Head Screener
Gary Watt, Head Screener
Edward Kehler, Head Editor
Aad van der Voet, Senior Editor
Monique Mayes, Community Relations Manager
Cheers Jannik

Offline Andy

• Super K!
  • Administrator
  • Command Captain
  • Bear with a Sore Head
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 07:32:36 PM »
I just cant stand when they get smarmy and kiss-arsey when the photographers clearly now have them by the bollocks.

If any of my pictures had gotten on to A-net, they'd be off right now.  ::)

My photos here:

Offline DanielFall

• Command Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 10:33:25 PM »
I'll await the new ToU's before deciding to pull or not. I'd love to be able to just say "to hell with them" and pull my photos, I've had a bad feeling about the new owners since day 1. Sadly I've invested waaay too much time and energy in the photos I have on A.net for that to be such an easy decision to make..
Daniel Fall

Offline Andy

• Super K!
  • Administrator
  • Command Captain
  • Bear with a Sore Head
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 11:18:13 PM »
I guess I would feel the same if all of my photos had gotten on there, some 1500 or so. I would be reluctant to pull them from where they are now, otherwise all the time freezing my proverbial ass off waiting for that special to come in would be kinda wasted.

I truly hope that the new TOU is a good one, but personally I don't hold out much hope, not being a fan of Demand Media. They are in my opinion not the correct type of owners of an Aviation Photography site.

My photos here: