Author Topic: AI formation flying  (Read 950 times)

Offline Jlund

• Prop 1st Officer
AI formation flying
« on: August 30, 2018, 10:55:44 PM »
I've begun to fiddle with military AI, and so far I have managed to get some homemade ai flying from one base to another, no problem so far. but now I would like to take it a step further so I have installed MAIW's Matrix and in the ASIAN region there's a 6 ship formation of Japanese TU-4 with flightplans.
I haven't tried setting it up yet, but I assume 6 airplanes are to wide to fit on a runway and take off, so is there a way to make them start in the air and fly from one airbase to another without having to start or land at the airbases?

Jorn.

Offline Penz

• Prop 1st Officer
Re: AI formation flying
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 02:27:43 PM »
My guess is that you're seeing this: https://militaryaiworks.com/download-hangar/file-library/download/97-aircraft-models-fsx/952-fsx-kawasaki-t-4-ai-aircraft

So the formation is actually pre-assembled. You cannot make an AI formation from individual aircraft flight plans in my experience.

I recall an old commercial AI package had several military twoship formations made this way, they started and landed as one aircraft, and "disassembled" once airborne. Maybe the MAIW formation works the same way?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 02:37:13 PM by Penz »

Offline Jlund

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 09:05:43 PM »
Yes, I know it's a pre-assembled formation, and that's why it makes sense that it can't "taxi and takeoff" from airbases. But if it is possible to make them start  at ie. 2000Ft and do a flight to another airbase, and without landing there, and then return to homebase. I have tried looking in the flightplan and it should be flying between RJS1 and RJS2 which must be some fictional "airbases" cause they're not in P3D database.
I don't really expect it to be possible, just wondered why MAIW will put them in their Asia region pack, if they're not available.

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 09:18:49 PM »
RJS1 and RJS2 are afcads, but made as waypoints. Nothing else.

Back in FS9 days there was a file somewhere where you could get Red Arrows to fly in formation, but I can't remember the filename.
Regards

Johan Clausen

Offline Tirithon

• Turbine 1st Officer
  • MAIW Staff
    • Military AI Works
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 08:41:19 PM »
The idea behind display flightplans, like the ones we have for welded formation models, is that you see the traffic flying by at the aerdrome where you want the display to occur, but you never see the aircraft actually taking off or landing.

For this purpose, you need a "fictional" ADEP and ADES just outside the AI spawn zone centered around the display airfield so that the display traffic spawns enroute outside visual range and disappears at the other end. Then you either make sure their flight path comes overhead the display airfield or you create a third "fictional" airfield at the display airfield with an IFR TNG leg to make some circuits (simulating fly by's) before flying away to the ADES.

If you try to follow the traffic, you'll notice it disappears when starting the approach to the ADES because there's nothing there.

Offline Jlund

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 06:19:49 PM »
Sorry, you lost me there :-) What is ADEP and ADES? and how to setup at my own waypoints? If I will use EKSP  as display airport, how and where do I setup the start and end "airports"

Offline Tirithon

• Turbine 1st Officer
  • MAIW Staff
    • Military AI Works
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 03:07:14 PM »
Sorry, that's what happens when I reply from work.  ;) ADEP means "aerodrome of departure" and ADES means "aerodrome of destination".

If you're interested in learning how to plan these fly by's, I suggest you come over to our forums where others with more experience on the subject will be able to explain every detail.