Author Topic: Problems displaying texture on updated FSX Cessna 208B (Solved)  (Read 887 times)

Offline OleGreyGhost

• Prop 1st Officer
Hi,

I recently downloaded {C208B_v2.zip}, from this site, after reading the peluso5 posting on updating the original FS9 HTAI model to FSX.  Also d/l the texture files {FDY_C208_Part 1_FSX.zip} from Charly Mortons' site for Southern Airways Express to use with the updated model.

Reason being, I couldn't get the original Doug Roth texture files to display the SAE texture in FSX. The model would display, with what appeared to be a dull paint job.  Funny thing though, the model & texture would display properly in Owl Tools AI Aircraft Editor.  The original model displayed properly in FSX in DX 9 mode.

When I tried to use the updated model & textures, I found two files were missing.  The aircraft.cfg & the Cessna AI 208B.air files.  So I used the original two files that came with the HTAI model.  I rebuilt & renamed some files to make them communicate with FSX thru the aircraft.cfg.  When I ran the editor, it located the model & read the [flitsim] info into the correct boxes.

When I activated the display button, it showed the model.  For the texture all that was displayed was a black & white checkerboard pattern.  Figured it probably wouldn't work in FSX, either.

I am running FSX in DX 10 mode with Steves' DX 10 freeware shader fixer on a Win 10 machine outside of the program directories.  Just let me know if any additional info is needed

NOTE:  I just noticed while doublechecking my work, an expanded view of the texture revealed it was for a float plane. :-[  The model displayed in the editor was the wheeled version.  I think this is my problem.  Hopefully, someone could point me to a link for the proper FSX texture.

Any assistance in resolving this problem will be greatly appreciated..
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 05:28:11 AM by OleGreyGhost »

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
Re: Problems displaying texture on updated FSX Cessna 208B
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 06:45:00 AM »
AIAE will show the texture on the model, even though something else in the fltsim-entry in the aircraft.cfg is not correct.

So please check that the texture= is identical to the texture-folder.

I.e.

Texture-folder is named "texture.avc airlines"

Then the texture= line in the aircraft.cfg should be:
Textre=avc airlines

Also make sure that the air-file has the same name as the sim= info in the aircraft.cfg. The 208B is known to have a small problem with the name of the air-file. HTAI made a freeware version which has a bit different air-file name compared to the version of the 208B that was added to the payware package that HTAI also made. So it's very important that you check if the sim= has the same name as the air-file.

The repaints are for the wheeled version. There is no float version of the 208B and looking at the pictures from Charly Mortens site, and it's easy to see that all the repaints uses the wheel model.

Also check if you use the cargo pod model and not the non-cargo pod version. Make sure the model= line is identical to the model-folder, in the same way as the texture-folder and texture= line mentioned above.
Regards

Johan Clausen

Offline OleGreyGhost

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 01:40:05 AM »
johanfrc

Thank you for the quick response.

Yes, I am aware of the naming conventions of the three entries in the aircraft.cfg file.  I went over everything & cannot find any typos.  I understand that the entries point to the folders containing the actual data.  In the model folder is another config file which points to the actual model { eg. c208b.mdl }.

My question becomes:  Does the entry {model=} have to equal the actual filename, or just the name on the folder that the .mdl file is  contained in ??  If so then that is my error.

Also, in peluso5 post referencing the updated C208B Southern Airways model & textures, he related he tested it in FSX, DX 10 mode, with Steves' DX 10 Fixer.  I am using the freeware shaders.  Will the updated model & textures work with the freeware version, or is the payware version required ??

Will the original Htai freeware { .air } file work with the updated model & texture ??

I agree, but I was mislead by the pictures on his site also.  See the attached htai graphic.  The second one was what I was was looking for.

Hopefully, you can point me in the right direction..

P.S.  Will stop by Charly Mortens site to inquire about the texture..
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 01:43:52 AM by OleGreyGhost »

Offline Kiffer82

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 01:47:00 AM »

My question becomes:  Does the entry {model=} have to equal the actual filename, or just the name on the folder that the .mdl file is  contained in ??

Your 'model=*' line should be what comes after the period on the 'model.*' folder. Inside the model folder is a model.cfg file which will point to the .mdl file in the same folder
Any landing you walk away from is a good landing.

Offline OleGreyGhost

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 02:41:18 AM »
Thanks for the info.

That is what I thought.  Just as long as the model= "name" entry points to the correct folder "name" following the period.

Thanks again..
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 02:42:57 AM by OleGreyGhost »

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 09:17:01 AM »
I got it!!!

Try to look at the paints. On the text at the top (or rather bottom, because the picture is upside down) it says "HTAI Cessna C208 Caravan I" for one of them and "Cessna C208B" on the other one.

You can also see the number of windows are not identical on the paints as the C208 Caravan I has less windows compared to the C208B.

So you need the payware package to get the Caravan I paint working. But if you were using P3Dv4, you could get the model for free, because it's included on the ORBX Australia AI traffic package.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 09:19:38 AM by johanfrc »
Regards

Johan Clausen

Offline Saturn_29

• Command Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 10:36:26 AM »
[quote author=johanfrc link=topic=28222.msg285576#msg285576 date=1535793421
So you need the payware package to get the Caravan I paint working. But if you were using P3Dv4, you could get the model for free, because it's included on the ORBX Australia AI traffic package.
[/quote]

Just so you know ORBX did not include the cargo pod model in their Caravan conversion.

Offline OleGreyGhost

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 03:47:09 AM »
johan,

Thank you for taking the time to find the answer to my problem.  Easiest solution is getting Steves' payware fixer & a new pair of glasses.  All I was noticing the pontoons at the top of the graphic.
Then I can put something together that will work.

Saturn,
Thanks for the additional info. Makes it much easier knowing in advance that something is lacking in a product, than after purchasing it.

One last question.  The original FS9 texture, the BMP file that PS will not recognize because of an unrecognized EOF marker;  Is that the OS/2 version ??

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 06:04:34 AM »
I don't know about that. But I can only suggest that you install the SDK (included on the FSX DVD's), and then use the Imagetool program that is a part of it. That program will show you most types of textures, including types that PS can't show. But remember. Imagetool is not a painting program, but I'd usually used to show textures but also flip textures if needed (plus a few other things). So Imagetool and PS often compliment each other.
Regards

Johan Clausen

Offline OleGreyGhost

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 04:21:07 AM »
Johan,

Thank you for the info.  I do have the SDK installed.  Will check it out.

Offline OleGreyGhost

• Prop 1st Officer
Re: Problems displaying texture on updated FSX Cessna 208B (Solved)
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 05:54:58 AM »
johan,

Problem is solved. ::happy::  Image tool revealed that the texture I was trying to use was a DXT 3.bmp.  Photoshop chokes on this texture, yet XnView will display it.  XnView does do some conversions, just not one that I could get to work.

I have steves' fixer and it has made a huge improvement.  Especially in the menus & splash screen.  Did not make a huge impact on framerates.
But from what I can see from my favorite aircraft will not display the door textures & all you can see in the panel is the gauges. :'(  Probably the old transparency texture.

I did finally find a useable texture, sae_n905pa.zip - (32 bit BMP w/alpha & 1 MIP) for the AI aircraft & created a workable flight plan.  Observed the fuel truck service the plane ( see attached) & then the flight plan was executed.  Back to the manual & the drawing board for now.

Thanks again to all who responded.

P.S.  Never was able to find out about those textures at Charly Mortons' site as I never received a response to my registration..

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 06:40:41 AM »
I think Morten is busy RL. So might take a few days.
Regards

Johan Clausen

Online charlymorton

• AIG Dispatch Painter
  • Command Captain
    • One Click Hangar
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 08:44:40 AM »
Hi Ole,

Your account was approved shortly after you signed up on Friday (most accounts are approved within a few hours), however there is an issue where it doesn't send out confirmation emails automatically and I've not had the time to look into it.

As Johan mentioned, I'm very busy IRL which is why my paint production has been reduced from a hundred textures a month to very few, but registrations are at least approved fairly quickly still. :)
Morten B

Creator of the One Click Hangar (OCH) plugin for SketchUp and One Click Repaint (OCR).

Visit https://oneclickhangar.com for latest version of OCH and thousands of AI repaints.
Visit https://oneclickhangar.com/oneclickrepaint for OCR.

Offline OleGreyGhost

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 07:38:33 AM »
Hi Charly,

Sorry, I didn't get back sooner.  Been reading & researching, plus testing & verifying a lot of info.

I can understand BUSY, so no rush.  Will probably check in tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up, johan.

Cheers..
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 07:40:30 AM by OleGreyGhost »