Author Topic: Is it just me or do you also get excited when..  (Read 914 times)

Offline csturdiv

• Aviation nerd and half-assed aviation photographer
  • AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
  • Part time Aussie flightplanner
Is it just me or do you also get excited when..
« on: October 05, 2018, 12:04:15 AM »
Is it just me or do you also get excited when you see an airline in real life for the first time that you have only seen before in your sim?  I had that again recently when I flew into Wellington, NZ for a short getaway.  At the airport, I saw Air Chathams (CV580) and Sounds Air (PC12) and was fascinated with seeing those.  On my next trip to Wellington (whenever that may be), I want to book a trip on Sounds Air over to the South Island, just to fly in the PC12.  Would love to see that scenery from the air, I did a ferry cruise from Wellington to Picton (at the top of the South Island) and from the water, it was so amazing.  Until then, I'll have to get by with my Orbx scenery.
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Offline Kyle M.

• Command Captain
  • Without a Heart, it's just a Machine - KDEN
    • Kyle's AI Works
Re: Is it just me or do you also get excited when..
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 12:27:49 AM »
It always makes me smile when I see a special livery in real life that Iíve painted.

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Turbine Captain
  • C208B-LET410-B1900-DH8C-PA34-PC12, B200 & DA42
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 09:29:05 PM »
I grew up in the days of DC8s, 707s, Viscounts and Caravelles, so for me it was my first visit to South Africa that got me to smiling. I took a trip up from Joburg to Victoria Falls in a Nationwide 727 (this was the early noughties) and of course there was a bunch of airliners to be seen that wouldn't be allowed to come into Europe, and some that would still be okay, such as the Phoebus Apollo DC-4 and the 748s etc. But also just to be at an airport where old 732s, 721/722s and 1-11s were mixing it with more modern hardware. It felt like proper aviation again, noise, smoke, and admittedly a lack of performance at high density altitudes!

Once I commercially qualified I went back to Africa to help with aid efforts and lived an entire other life in just a few years, and all surrounded by that same old real aviation again.

I guess what gets me excited is seeing planes I'd assumed were no longer even flying (Nord 262, anyone?), then one day you're taxying in somewhere and you think "that's in good condition considering it's no longer flying", when suddenly it starts up.. there's something inspiring about an old plane and a dedicated crew that won't quit.

It kinda reminds me of that old Al Jazeera documentary.. https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/riskingitall/2011/05/201151112305049621.html

I like the professionalism and the way we've made flying almost mundane, but safe; but there's something about being out there on the "raggedy edge."

What I have enjoyed in NZ is the helicopter rides up to the glaciers, the South Island of NZ, on the right day, is a truly spectacular environment in which to fly.
Idealogically suspect religious arrogance exterminates life.
Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich. Ustinov.
The sadly-mortal George Carlin on soft language

Offline csturdiv

• Aviation nerd and half-assed aviation photographer
  • AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
  • Part time Aussie flightplanner
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 02:45:41 AM »
While I am already jealous of pilots, I am more jealous of pilots that get to fly in NZ.  The area around Queenstown and Milford Sound is just so  ::surprise::.
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Turbine Captain
  • C208B-LET410-B1900-DH8C-PA34-PC12, B200 & DA42
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 10:43:17 PM »
I get especially envious of those that get to fly the warbirds over in NZ, especially the Spitfire.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Supermarine-361-Spitfire-Mk9/4499825/L
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Supermarine-361-Spitfire-Mk9/4703551/L
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Supermarine-361-Spitfire-Mk9/2754552/L

I discovered recently that the "iconic" double elliptical wing that I always thought was a Supermarine design, was actually lifted from German blueprints for a design they never pursued, so the Spitfire's wing design was actually German! Before WW2 there were many non-German engineers over in Germany and a lot of cross fertilisation of ideas going on. Seems weird to think that was happening, at least with hindsight.

South Island is definitely a blessed landscape. Someone I know was actually moved to tears from their memories of a holiday there. Many years ago now, I used to fly in the Caribbean a fair amount, and some of those islands are a blast too, but South Island NZ beats them all for acreage! Oh, and height.
Idealogically suspect religious arrogance exterminates life.
Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich. Ustinov.
The sadly-mortal George Carlin on soft language