Main Menu

A question for the future

Started by cjdice, December 16, 2018, 05:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjdice

I want to thank you so much for this project, it's a dream come true but I have a question. I know that this program will be become the norm to install custom ai in the near future. I have seen that the program saves the models, flightplans, and textures to the C drive but I installed the program to my F drive where I also see the models, flightplans, and textures are saved there. My C drive is teeny tiny and I can't have that much data saved there. Since I will be using this program a lot then I will run out of space like tomorrow. I am wondering why they are saved twice and also if I move my installation folder to another drive in the future will I have to do everything over again. If I uninstall and then reinstall will I also have to do everything again? Thank you.

sharklet_a319

For several reason we sadly cannot move the temporary data away from Drive C. Later on temporary downloaded repaint files will be removed automatically after installation and only the model base files are kept. For now you can remove the temporary downloaded repaint files, using the button in the OCI setting menu.
(However I recommend keeping the model basepacks so they don't have to be downloaded over and over again)

cjdice

Ok, where will all the files eventually be downloaded to? Can I delete all the temp files in the C drive since those files including the basemodels are located in the F drive already. Do I need to have them saved in two different areas? If unisntall and reinstall the program to a complete different drive (E drive) would I need to reinstall everything from the beginning? I just want to get ready because I will be using this program a lot. Thanks again.

johanfrc

The files will be downloaded to "C:\ProgramData\AIGTech\AIGAIM\"

As Chris said, the models will be downloaded and will be kept in that location for future use. So you don't need to have them any other location.
Regards

Johan Clausen

cjdice

Sorry, last question. I was using AIFP before and I have noticed that if I update to the latest flightplan using the OCI then the old flightplan does not show up in my P3D V4 scenery folder and therefore I can't see it in AIFP. Is that normal?  I also had a question about the delete temp files button in OCI settings. What exactly will that button do? If I press the button to delete temp files then all the temp files are deleted and I thought that I need to keep the only the models in the temp files. Just a little confusing but that is what this time is used for right :). Thanks again for your quick responses.

Kaiii3

1) if updating with OCI, the old BGL will be deleted and the new onw will be saved in the OCI directory.

2) Temp Data include the model.zip files and the repaint.zip files

cjdice

how do I delete everything and start from scratch?. I don't see the program listed in the control panel to remove. I would like to start fresh and also install the program to a different location.

sharklet_a319

To remove OCI just press the remove button in the settings menu. (next to the OCI path)

jabloomf1230

Quote from: cjdice on December 16, 2018, 07:54:50 PM
Sorry, last question. I was using AIFP before and I have noticed that if I update to the latest flightplan using the OCI then the old flightplan does not show up in my P3D V4 scenery folder and therefore I can't see it in AIFP. Is that normal? 
That happened to me also, but I'm guessing that's because the add-on.xml method used in P3d4 requires at least one run of the sim to add the new SimObjects and scenery files to the sim's database. Once add-ons.cfg gets updated by the sim , AIFP will also "see" the new OCI files.

One of the AIG guys will correct me if I'm wrong.

cjdice

bigger problem now. I reinstalled to a different drive and I spent about two hours updating everything to 2018. I reloaded the program today and got a message saying there were multiple instances of aigaim-oci and they have been removed. It then mentions to run the setup again and all the work I did yesterday was erased. The flighttplans, models, and textures still show in the install folder but when I run the program again all the packages I assigned yesterday now show unassigned. It's not a lot of work to assign again but I am afraid to do that again only to find tomorrow that everything was unassigned again. I guess I need more help then I thought.

Also just to let you know in my short observation with the program I have found a few issues. I think that some of the airline packages can't be installed because they may use models that were not made to work with P3D V4. I have had problems loading airline packages that have  the ATR 72-500, TFS Dash, and EMB 195. 

sharklet_a319

Quote from: cjdice on December 17, 2018, 05:00:25 PM
I reinstalled to a different drive and I spent about two hours updating everything to 2018.

Pls descripe the steps you did.

Quote from: cjdice on December 17, 2018, 05:00:25 PM
Also just to let you know in my short observation with the program I have found a few issues. I think that some of the airline packages can't be installed because they may use models that were not made to work with P3D V4. I have had problems loading airline packages that have  the ATR 72-500, TFS Dash, and EMB 195. 

Two models in Su18 plans are not v4 ready MA-60 and Y-12 both with Nepal Airlines.

The rest is converted and should work properly for issues pls attache the logs. They help us find the cause and we can tell how to fix the issue.

cjdice

I used the remove button. Then I installed 0.8.24 fresh so I didn't have to move files over from 0.8. I reinstalled it to my E drive. I then checked today and the setup button is now visible and shows no current path. So it deleted all my setting s and asks me to put the path in again but the other info is still in the settings. It still shows my P3D path and the imagetool entry is there too. Do you think it has something to do with the old version being installed first?

Kaiii3

Quote from: cjdice on December 17, 2018, 05:32:20 PM
I used the remove button. Then I installed 0.8.24 fresh so I didn't have to move files over from 0.8. I reinstalled it to my E drive. I then checked today and the setup button is now visible and shows no current path. So it deleted all my setting s and asks me to put the path in again but the other info is still in the settings. It still shows my P3D path and the imagetool entry is there too. Do you think it has something to do with the old version being installed first?

ok, the files in the AppData folder are tied to the location of the .exe. SO if you installed a new version of AIM at a different location AIM will not read the "old" file and insted create a new "blaco" setting

cjdice

for the love of god I still can't get this to work. I have reinstalled a brand new setup and installed to the E drive. I go through the process and when finished I install one package to test. I close the program and open the E drive but the OCI application is not there. There are folders there but no EXE to open. If I go back to the download folder where I downloaded the program to then I can see the EXE program and everything else that is missing from the folder in the E drive. Then if I click on the application it makes me go through the whole setup again. I am now going on my 6th time doing this and I am about to rip my hair out. Please walk me through this entire thing. I want to start over from scratch (again) and get this thing right.

Kaiii3

I need the logs have a better understanding of what is going on.