Author Topic: Ethiopian Max8 crash  (Read 9357 times)

Offline sharklet_a319

• AIG Technic
  • Command Captain
Ethiopian Max8 crash
« on: March 10, 2019, 08:51:08 AM »
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 08:59:42 AM by sharklet_a319 »

Offline Saturn_29

• Command Captain
Re: Ethiopian Max8 crash
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 09:43:36 AM »
Wow 2 Max crashes in such a short period of time. I wonder if there is a design flaw in the plane or something?

Offline p3dflyer64

• Prop Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 09:53:11 AM »
Oh boy new planes crashing thats scary

Offline philbean

• Turbine 1st Officer
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 10:44:55 AM »
Eeeek.
Minutes after take off again.

Not good.

Offline Simbol

• Prop Captain
    • www.FSReborn.com
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 01:52:59 PM »
Yea, I was thinking the same.

Too much coincidence.

Simbol

Offline benclark

• AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
    • www.realbigtree.com
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 02:08:04 PM »
Extremely concerning.

Offline sharklet_a319

• AIG Technic
  • Command Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 02:19:42 PM »
The aircraft barely reached 8200ft (7600ft ground level) - hopefully not again an MCAS issue..

Offline benclark

• AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
    • www.realbigtree.com
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 04:29:31 PM »
The aircraft barely reached 8200ft (7600ft ground level) - hopefully not again an MCAS issue..
Look at the speed too, IF that's accurate then the engines must have been firewalled with perhaps the crew thinking they needed to gain speed, too early to truly speculate but it doesn't look good, worse still when it seems Boeing are trying to not tell pilots about the MCAS.

Offline Ryan1549

• AIG Dispatch Beta Tester
  • Command Captain
    • FSAI-Repaints
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 05:08:06 PM »
However before people start blaming Boeing, between American Airlines and Southwest Airlines they already have 50 of them combined and... They don't have issues, seems to me like international airlines just don't know how to operate it which has sadly cost the lives of hundreds..

American Airlines Family

My Photos
https://www.flickr.com/photos/165661080@N04
https://flightaware.com/user/ryan1549

AIG Beta | AIG Dispatch Painter | AIG Dispatch Flightplanner

Offline blazer1234

• Turbine 1st Officer
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 06:02:24 PM »
However before people start blaming Boeing, between American Airlines and Southwest Airlines they already have 50 of them combined and.. They don't have issues, seems to me like international airlines just don't know how to operate it which has sadly cost the lives of hundreds..

Indeed,

found a interest video in case of the LION air crash a few weeks ago.
But as you correctly mentioned , don't start blame without knowing facts ( general speaking of course )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfQW0upkVus

Offline Nils

• AIG Dispatch Painter
  • Command Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 06:13:47 PM »
However before people start blaming Boeing, between American Airlines and Southwest Airlines they already have 50 of them combined and.. They don't have issues, seems to me like international airlines just don't know how to operate it which has sadly cost the lives of hundreds..

There are also more than 300 of them operating for non-US airlines, who, for the most part, don't seem to cause any trouble either. Even AA has stated that they were not fully informed about MCAS features before the Lion Air crash: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-indonesia-crash-boeing-american-airli/american-airlines-unaware-of-some-boeing-737-max-functions-until-last-week-spokesman-idUSKCN1NK0EF
Get my repaints here:
http://www.juergenbaumbusch.de/

Offline benclark

• AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
    • www.realbigtree.com
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 06:36:02 PM »
I wouldn't start saying international pilots don't know how to operate it, that's just a fallacy too, indeed and I'm quoting here

During difference training, pilots of American Airlines and Southwest Airlines converting from earlier Boeing 737 Next Generation models to the 737 MAX were not informed of the MCAS linked to the fatal crash, leaving them concerned that they were possibly untrained with respect to other differences. In November 2018, Aviation Week reviewed the 737 MAX flight crew operations manual and found that it did not mention the MCAS. American Airlines' Allied Pilots Association and Southwest Airlines Pilots' Association were also caught unaware. The Wall Street Journal reported that Boeing had "decided against disclosing more details to cockpit crews due to concerns about inundating average pilots with too much information".

I'm sorry but a pilot needs ALL the information about his bird, if he can't understand the operation of it then he shouldn't be flying it, you can't be a good pilot making guesses about how a system works especially one which directly controls the operation of your aircraft.

Overall yes we can't blame Boeing yet but right now it doesn't look very good in their favour, that's for sure, I just hope this is the last one, shouldn't take hundreds dying to fix an issue.

Offline AirbusCaptain

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 08:09:11 PM »
Its a shame that this is what its come to in the industry having revenue flights become test flights. Evidently Boeing is more concerned with competition with Airbus instead of grounding this plane and fixing the problem. As of right now they are showing its business as usual. "we are saddened by the loss but lets keep it moving while we look into it" 2 crashes with the same type of plane in the same phase of flight in a short amount of time. The MAX should be grounded right now in my opinion.

Offline Johan Nordqvist

• AIG Marshaller
  • AIG Dispatch
  • Senior Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 06:33:00 AM »
The more you know about an aircraft the better. However  even without knowledge of MCAS, the pilots should've been able to deal with the situation. A properly trained crew should've identified the problem as a runaway stabilizer. That would be the wrong diacnosis but the response memory items would've solved the problem.

Either;
1. The crew performed the memory items but for whatever reason, this didn't lead to MCAS being disconnected from the stab trim system.
2. The crew did not perform the memory items due to not identifying the problem as a runaway stabilizer.
3. The crew were aware of MCAS but the knowledge somehow confused them as to what the proper actions would be.

As the final report isn't finished, it's impossible to say exactly what happened.

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 06:55:07 AM »
Just read that China and Ethiopia grounds all MAX planes.

And Cayman Airways also grounds their 2 planes:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-10/china-asks-local-airlines-to-ground-boeing-737-max-caijing-says?srnd=premium-europe
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 06:59:45 AM by johanfrc »
Regards

Johan Clausen