Author Topic: Merge Flightplans  (Read 140 times)

Offline airernie

• Prop 1st Officer
Merge Flightplans
« on: May 16, 2019, 03:43:04 PM »
I just tried the Merge Flightplans feature and while it's a great option I do have a comment.

It appears that after merging, AIM deletes the existing individual flight bgls.   I'm guessing that's because you don't want duplicates of the traffic.

However, in losing the individual flight plan you also lose the reference information about the Airline on the main page.  This includes the status information.

Admittedly, I may not fully understand the process, but is that information retained somewhere?  If not then perhaps zip the included flightplans before deleting?

Thanks,
Ernie

Offline Dave YVRATC

• Command Captain
    • My Flickr photostream
Re: Merge Flightplans
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 03:55:09 PM »
 It's always good to ensure that you have backups before doing stuff like this. Fairly basic question though out of curiosity, what are you trying to gain by merging the traffic files?

Offline airernie

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 04:12:06 PM »
I was curious as to how the feature worked and thought the merged file might load a bit quicker.

It is a bit cleaner than having 40+ individual files and the merged file is smaller, but for some reason I'm not getting any traffic with the merged file, although I don't know why.

So, it appears that individual files are the way to go.

Offline Dave YVRATC

• Command Captain
    • My Flickr photostream
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 04:31:17 PM »
 Fair enough, the difference in load times even between 1000+ ai traffic files and none is maybe a few seconds at most and the space savings is going to be fairly minimal as well. It depends how important saving a few to a few hundred kb is to each user considering the amount of space used by the actual AI aircraft (commonly 20-100gb and up) and also the cost of storage.

Offline KampfHase

• AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
    • Jetphotos
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 04:32:52 PM »
Remember that a merged bgl needs to be loaded every time, even if you fly in Australia the complete big bgl must be loaded. When having small files for each airline, only the ones needed for Australia will be loaded.
My AFCAD reworks in this useful thread: click!
Airports by me: KCLT | KMIA | EDDM | KBOS | KMSP | KATL | RJBB | LTAI | LTFJ | LSZH | KEWR | RJTT | WSSS | KPDX | KTEB | KLAS
Next projects: KSFO | KLGA | LFPG

Offline airernie

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 05:16:56 PM »
Ah, learned something new today.  I wasn't aware that's how traffic files were loaded.