Author Topic: What was going on at EDDF?-Google earth  (Read 318 times)

Offline coover

• Prop 1st Officer
What was going on at EDDF?-Google earth
« on: September 15, 2019, 11:23:12 AM »
Had a look at Fraport on google earth after landing there in FSX. I wanted to start checking if I needed to update my EDDF AFCAD or scenery. On Google Earth image dated May 6, 2018 (Imagery date 5/6/2018) there are only a handful of aircraft! Older images show just about every gate filled. Did something happen that stopped EDDF being used on that day?

Offline Er!k

• AIG Dispatch Beta Tester
  • Command Captain
Re: What was going on at EDDF?-Google earth
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 11:47:03 AM »
Saw that at other airports as well. I think they edited the airport and manually removed the aircraft from the image?

Offline KampfHase

• AIG Honored Members
  • Command Captain
    • Jetphotos
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 11:56:44 AM »
Look at SFO. Not a single aircraft at the terminal on the satellite image!
My AFCAD reworks in this thread: click!
Airports by me: KCLT | KMIA | EDDM | KBOS | KMSP | KATL | RJBB | LTAI | LTFJ | LSZH | KEWR | RJTT | WSSS | KPDX | KTEB | KLAS | KLGA | KSFO | KDEN | SKBO
Next projects: EIDW

Offline rke

• Senior Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 01:37:19 PM »
I've seen it discussed over at A.net a little while ago, and concensus appears to be that it's an algoritm that is applied to remove non-buildings (ie. cars and in this case, airplanes) to get the cleanest possible imagery. The main purpose of Google Earth imagery is (as I understand it) to create accurate maps, so removing clutter is a big bonus.

Offline Er!k

• AIG Dispatch Beta Tester
  • Command Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 07:15:24 PM »
Too bad all the sources to find information about where airlines park is disappearing… First Wikipedia (yes, I know…) and now Google Earth as well. I now try to find info either via YouTube flight review movies or the airport web site, but it is getting harder and harder.

Offline Dave YVRATC

• Command Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 07:32:52 PM »
 What I've resorted to doing is using FR24 to watch departures and arrivals as at many airports there is ADS-B coverage on the ground so you can see exactly what spots they use.