Author Topic: prop_anim_ratio= line question  (Read 472 times)

Offline Saturn_29

• Command Captain
prop_anim_ratio= line question
« on: November 12, 2019, 05:34:51 AM »
When I first got P3D I deleted all of the prop_anim_ratio= line form my AI aircraft cfg files. But after looking thought the P3D SDK tonight (for something else) I saw that the prop_anim_ratio= line was in the P3D SDK so now I am adding that line back to my AI aircraft. What aircraft had that line? I know the prop planes and I think helicopters had that line. Any other aircraft had the prop_anim_ratio= line?

Offline russian

• Command Captain
Re: prop_anim_ratio= line question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 11:10:24 AM »
I would guess if it has a propeller it would use/need it. For helicopters I would suggest checking the default P3D heli folders to check if it is there. That's my guess.

Offline lrog

• Turbine Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 11:25:54 AM »
I think the SDK has left this in just in case. I have removed this line from all of my aircraft.cfg’s and checked them in sim. There does not appear to be any problems with the aircraft that had a prop_animation_ratio= line.

Try removing the line from one type of aircraft, check it within the sim and if it works then fine. If it does not work then restore your aircraft.cfg from the backup you should have made before making the change.

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 11:40:05 AM »
It was a feature added in FS2002 to make it possible for users to control the prop animation speed, to make props look better. It's counterpart prop_animation worked in FS9 and FSX, but I'm not sure it has been working since then. It was supposed to give the animation a small "wobble-effect" so it looked a bit more realistic. But I'm not sure it's a working feature in P3D now.

Already in FS9 MS decided to remove the use of prop_anim_speed for unknown reasons. They left it in the SDK documents though, maybe because they really didn't care about removing it from there. And it seems it has been there since even though it's not working anymore.

Maybe they did include it in the SDK, in case someone was adding it to the plane, simply so the sim will still read it, but not use it.

So I think you can easily remove it. Shouldn't be a problem at all.
Regards

Johan Clausen

Offline Saturn_29

• Command Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 11:54:16 AM »
Thanks guys. I looked at a plane with the prop line and one without the prop line. They look the same to me. So I will not be adding that line to the rest of my AI. It's a good thing too because I have a lot of prop AI!