Author Topic: Beginner Questions  (Read 1982 times)

Offline atco

• AIG Dispatch Painter
  • Command Captain
  • Notepad Ninja
    • ATCO Repaints
Beginner Questions
« on: April 08, 2020, 01:10:16 AM »
Yes I'm finally starting to use AIM and OCI.
It's a very impressive piece of software and it certainly makes installing and keeping flightplans up to date very quick and very easy.
I'm quickly becoming a convert!

So I have a few questions if I may please..

1) The P3D4 models released by the conversion team come with several options and I like to have my cabin and logo lights on at all times. But when installing through OCI, there are no options (This obviously requires a config edit which is easy to do but there are different LUA scripts to install too). If I copy over the LUA scripts and cfg edits I like from my existing setup will they be overwritten anytime I install anything into OCI or verify SimObjects?

2) Similarly my FSP repaints I like to have the PBR and Dynamic Lighting models installed, again no options installing through OCI. Do you know if OCI installs the PBR and DL models by default?

3) If I want to install an airline where I already have the repaints installed, can I do that? If I can will my existing aircraft folder with associated repaints, config and air files be left intact or will OCI make any changes or edits? I don't see any way to add my SimObjects folder where I have my AI aircraft currently to OCI - The option is greyed out.

4) What happens if I install a plan using OCI and then after a repaint changes (say a new sticker gets added), is there any way to edit the flightplan to add (or remove) a new variant, or do I have to wait for the plan to be updated for OCI?

5) Can I edit the OCI installed aircraft.cfg files and if I do will those edits stick or be constantly over-written?

6) What happens when I update a plan from one season to the next? Does OCI recognise that the paints are already installed and does it automatically assign them to the new plan installation?

7) Often when a new type enters service it can be a few months until new plans are ready, for example Air Canada with the A220. If I have already installed Air Canada through OCI and I want to go in and say change 3 of my A319's to the new A220 is that possible or again I am required to wait for new plans? Its not the work I mind doing at all, just want the ability to make personal edits some of the time.

8 ) What does OCI do if there is simply no repaint available? Does it assign a blank paint or just not install the plan?

9) What does OCI do if the repaint link is broken and the or the repaint doesn't exist anymore halfway through an install?

10) OCI shows a number of airlines as not installed - obviously because I did them manually, not with OCI! But is there any way to tell OCI these airlines are installed but manually so they don't show up in the not installed list? And if so would it then be possible to update them through OCI after?

11) What does OCI install where a painter offers mipped and non-mipped textures in an archive?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to educate myself more on how OCI and AIM deal with some of these situations. I have to say its a fantastic product that brings so much to the table. Massive congratulations and thanks to Kai and Christian for the work they have done on this pretty remarkable piece of software.
I suspect it will not be long until I've moved on completely from by hand installing of AI which is something honestly I never thought I would say.

Many thanks
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 03:12:56 AM by atco »
Vectors to nowhere, around nobody for no reason

Offline Kaiii3

• AIG Technic
  • Command Captain
    • Kai's AFD Studio
Re: Beginner Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 04:41:25 AM »
1) yes, OCI will override your settings from time to time
2) yes, OCI will always try to install PBR with DL
3) no, OCI is more or less stand alone and is only using content that was installed by AIM, this makes sure everything is working as planed.
4) You can install the repaint oudside OCI and adjust the BGL with a different tool and compile it again (filename maust be the same)
5) They will be over-written
6) Yes, as long as the aircraft title is the same. AIM is checking for the same title prior an installation
7) See 4)
8 ) That depends on the flightplan author. He has the option to set an replacement title or a temporay repaint. If both option are not possible the repaint will not be installed and you will not see the aircraft (Missing fltsim)
9) If it is broken, AIM will ask you to identify the file online and download it yourself, after that point AIM to the file and it will do the rest (filename must be identical). If a fiule is no longer online AIM will skip the process
10) Depends on the filename. AIM has a generic filename parser to detect non OCI flightplans. (Pleas post the filename so I can check). Default AIG filenames since 2010 should work.
11) allways mipped. We convert every other texture to DDS mipped
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 04:48:20 AM by sharklet_a319 »

Offline Saturn_29

• Command Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 06:04:48 AM »
1) The P3D4 models released by the conversion team come with several options and I like to have my cabin and logo lights on at all times. But when installing through OCI, there are no options (This obviously requires a config edit which is easy to do but there are different LUA scripts to install too). If I copy over the LUA scripts and cfg edits I like from my existing setup will they be overwritten anytime I install anything into OCI or verify SimObjects?

I have a question about this too. I noticed all the FAIB have this added to the fuel section External2   =  0,   0, 0, 1.0, 0.5. Now when I installed other model by the conversion team I use this External2   =  0,   0, 0, 2.0, 0.5 (I like this option better). Can I change the FAIB entry to External2   =  0,   0, 0, 2.0, 0.5? Or to I have to stick with what it came with?

PS: I am updating my FAIB stuff manually so I am just adding that line to my cfg file.

Offline Kaiii3

• AIG Technic
  • Command Captain
    • Kai's AFD Studio
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 06:12:07 AM »
if you update manualy you can change it

Offline Ben

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
  • AIG Ops | Flightplanner | Private Pilot
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 07:08:30 AM »
I was playing around with this last night and had very similar questions to Garry, so thanks for asking (and answering, Kai).  ::cheers::

I've always installed my FPs manually, but given lack of time and how easy this software is, you have another convert. :)

Offline PretendPilot

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 07:40:34 AM »
Perhaps there might be some consideration given to a "control panel" of sorts in the software where we could toggle some of these settings to set a default that could be maintained even when updates are installed, such as logo lights, cabin lights, and other aircraft cfg settings?

Offline lrog

• Turbine Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 12:40:55 PM »
Perhaps there might be some consideration given to a "control panel" of sorts in the software where we could toggle some of these settings to set a default that could be maintained even when updates are installed, such as logo lights, cabin lights, and other aircraft cfg settings?

Now that Idea would be most welcome !!

Offline jhaley101

• Command Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 02:28:24 PM »
I've spent more time with AIM in the last 48 hours then ever before, but I'm not there yet. 

I noticed that the new PBR textures are not sized to 1024 but rather the larger 5462, is there a way to resize other than manually?

I looked a bit at the new FAIB models which were installed via OCI.   I've noticed some of the textures with the FAIB A318 had
1) some sort of imaging issue with the rear domes, either there are two domes overlapping and
2) some aircraft have a strip of white along the side of the fuselage when night mode is activated through the model viewer.   
I honestly don't know if these are simply model converter issues

Last night, I added a couple of GA bizjet plans to my setup and found that my 1617 flightplan's have been reduced now to 1598.     I haven't removed any plans during the time that I fiddled with OCI.    Is there some way that adding all of the new AIM/OCI plans would have overwritten or replaced some of my original plans?  The setup for AIG is NOT anywhere near my own customized setup, so I don't know what happened to 19 plans.   I have to track them down and find out which ones they are.   

I have some concerns with the AI Lights Reborn setup but I think I'm working through those at my end.   I do truly admire the downloading section and sitting back to watch a bulk install unfold.   And I have a better understanding of the large file that was downloaded for AI sounds.   It's not a personal attack, but I still think this works for the lowest common denominator as far as users go.   I agree that a control panel would help, I'd be interested to hear if anything like that is in the works.   

Can AIM plans co-exist with my regular setup?   So, in other words if I had to use AIM for the exclusively AIG plans, that's fine.  The AIG plans are less than 1/3 of my total 1617 plans.  Of course, I would have to remove the duplicates in my traditional set up.    And then I would be left with what remains.   I assume bgl's can run without issue from multiple locations on the same drive.   

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 02:32:49 PM by jhaley101 »

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 02:55:16 PM »
I have a separate GA AI installation along with OCI and it's working fine. I had OCI make it's own addon.xml files while I made those needed for the GA AI (simobjects, texture, scripts, sounds, effects).
Regards

Johan Clausen

Offline Jon

• AIG Dispatch Beta Tester
  • Command Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 03:19:25 PM »
I actually have three.  AIM OCI, MATRIX (MAIW version of OCI) and a GA section install via AIFP.
To Err is Human, to Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy.

A good plan violently executed right now is far better than a perfect plan executed next week.
George S. Patton

Offline jhaley101

• Command Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 03:42:16 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll put these concerns in a new post.

I don't want to hijack the OP. 

JH

Offline atco

• AIG Dispatch Painter
  • Command Captain
  • Notepad Ninja
    • ATCO Repaints
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 09:54:16 PM »
Kai thank you for taking the time to answer everything.

So OCI isn't really compatible at all with an existing AI installation, it seems like it has to be one or the other to a degree although both can co-exist quite happily alongside each other.

I do like how you contain OCI in its own little ecosystem. I've had my AI setup up using the addon.xml format since V4 launched so I'm now running both, and when I update an airline through OCI, I remove their bgl from my manually setup AI scenery folder.
Very smart that you did it that way instead of editing existing setups although I do understand that means that both have to be somewhat stand alone.

I too think some kind of control panel or options would be a great idea if its possible. A number of AI aircraft these days are coming with options for the end user, so having to be stuck with only what you guys decide to install could be an issue for some. Also it would hopefully prevent users having to edit files and would then mean no more over-writing of edits during an update. Given how individual and customisable AI setups tend to be I think this would be a wonderful step for the program.
I would also like to see the installer give me the option of assigning another paint myself to one that is missing or doesn't exist rather than the current situation. Perhaps a pop up stating there is no repaint for this variant and then some choices - like let OCI choose replacement, manually choose a replacement or skip variant altogether etc etc.
For example often a special livery will not be painted yet, so in the past I either assign the regular livery or an alternative special depending on how I feel. I would much rather have some options than for OCI just to skip the variant entirely and end up with a missing aircraft. I guess it would be nice to have a 'substitute paint' feature when installing.

On a related note, if there is a missing fltsim, so a repaint that was missing and has been skipped, what can I do now to replace it with another paint? I'm assuming I would have to decompile the bgl, edit the text file and recompile using AIFP, or can I use AIM to recompile? If I can use AIM does anyone have a quick step by step guide on how I would do that please?

John, by all means feel free to add to this topic, I think (hope) its a good place for people to start who might want to dip their toe into the water with AIM and OCI.

I think I can address two of your questions despite being very much a 'noob' myself.
1: *Edit* So it does appear that it removes old bgl files from airlines that you update, even from your separate custom AI install

2: Yes you can co-exist completely with an OCI AI setup and a custom one. That is exactly what I am doing right now. Obviously you will want to ensure that any OCI traffic bgl's you have that you remove from your custom setup otherwise of course you will have double traffic. Otherwise they are completely separate and can be run simultaneously quite happily. This is one of the biggest strengths of LM using the addon.xml method of adding things to the base sim.

Also not sure if you are using Arno's MCX to view your models but it is notoriously unreliable at displaying PBR models. When I create a preview shot for a repaint I swap out the PBR model quickly for the non-PBR one for most models because of the multitude of display issues. I suspect that it looks wrong in MCX but more than likely is fine in the sim.

If any other beginners have questions or comments, they are most welcome to add them here too as it saves Kai and Christian having to keep up with multiple threads.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:59:00 AM by atco »

Offline Kaiii3

• AIG Technic
  • Command Captain
    • Kai's AFD Studio
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 03:41:41 AM »
well OCI is fully compatible to any other running AI Setup, since it is using its own SimObjects, textures, effects.. . As written in the other topic, the only edit that we do on other setups is that AIM will remove outdated BGLs after an installtion when possbile to avoid duplicated files.

Regarding the Control Panel, as Chris already said, maintaining such a database would be a hugh task (keeoing our current database up to date is already more work then some major flightplans xD). One option would be to allow the user to disable the update of aircraft.cfg values during an OCI run, but this would end in the fact that the user MUST keep the aircraft.cfg up to the newst settings and this could cause problems when it is forgotten.

0.9 has no decompiler added so far, but it is on the todo list for 1.0 (I am not sure if it will be ready for the first public release).

For example often a special livery will not be painted yet, so in the past I either assign the regular livery or an alternative special depending on how I feel. I would much rather have some options than for OCI just to skip the variant entirely and end up with a missing aircraft. I guess it would be nice to have a 'substitute paint' feature when installing.

Before release of flightplans with missing special paints this option is already set be the author in the flightplan, so AIM will install the default paint. As soon as the paint is released we often update the flightplans and the new paint will be installed.

Offline atco

• AIG Dispatch Painter
  • Command Captain
  • Notepad Ninja
    • ATCO Repaints
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2020, 03:51:44 AM »
Great thanks Kai, everything is becoming much clearer now.

I've been using OCI all night and I've really grown to appreciate its power and features.

Regarding the paint substitution is a replacement paint something that has to be set in order for the flightplan to be released by AIG?
What I really want to try and avoid is missing aircraft, but if its a requirement that the flightplan has to include a replacement paint then that becomes pretty much moot as the author has taken care of it for us.

I presume I can find any paints that might be missing using AIM's Flightplans Error checking functions?
In the event of a missing paint though am I correct in saying that the only solution would be to decompile, edit the txt file and recompile?

I appreciate you taking the time to further my understanding of this awesome software. I'm almost at the point where I'm thinking the only time I'm ever going to install a flightplan by hand again is when there is no OCI option!
Its amazing what you have all accomplished with this.

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2020, 06:57:10 AM »
As a flightplanner who have made quite a few OCI ready plans, I always try to use a replace texture. That means, when I'm packing the plan I select a paint that is already in the plan, and uses that one as a replacement/temporary paint.

I.e. sometimes when there is a plan with 737's and they have both normal nozzle and short nozzle, and there is no separate paint for the short nozzle, then I would replace it with the normal nozzle paint. Very few will ever notice that difference, and it saves a bit of time from the repainter.

Could also be if some individual aircrafts in a plane type for an airline have a dome, but it's not painted. Then I will replace it with the non-dome paint. Easy replacement for the time being. If the dome is painted shortly afterwards, the plan will be updated to include it as an independent repaint instead of as a replacement.
Regards

Johan Clausen