Main Menu

Adding country of origin to airline list

Started by terrpe, May 19, 2020, 11:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrpe

Hey Guys:

Got a question:  Would it be possible in a future release to add the country of origin to the OCI airline list.  I stay primarily in the US and Canada regions.  At this time, I've only got a little over one third of total airlines installed.  Sometimes a new airline shows up in the list and if it was tagged, say North America, I can identify and add that in. I think it would just make it easier to identify changes in that region.

Thanks Guys!    8)

Terrpe

johanfrc

Not possible, at least for now.

It will require a lot of data to be added to the program.

I'm sure it's on the list, but it's way down, because of the requirements needed for it to work.

You can always look at the map you get when you press the plan and press "install". Then you can see if it's something for you or not.
Regards

Johan Clausen

terrpe

Yea, the way you describe it, that's what I've been doing, just hitting install and looking at the map routes. It's just tedious plowing through the list of airlines looking for North American groups.

But, I understand your reasons.

Thanks Johan!!

Terrpe

johanfrc

And you might have to do that a bit longer for now.

It is possible to do something, but that might give an even longer loading time for the program.

But otherwise here is more or less the reason why it's not possible at the moment. I wrote this internally when the same question was asked:

"The problem is that OCI don't know the flightplans content before it's downloaded when clicking Install. So it simply can't "find" the airports.txt before that. And then the plan is already installing. So you just can't get a list of airlines sorted by where you fly. And making a database requires it to be maintained many times, almost a fulltime job. Because some routes or closed, some arr changed only seasonal.

So it's sadly not possible to make that country search work, because OCI don't know any of the content in the airports.txt before the plan is already installed. And then it almost doesn't matter at all."
Regards

Johan Clausen

aamontoy

Hi thx for this, i have been thinking about this a few days ago...could you possibly make a continent based FP structure, like another column? say Europe, NA, SA, i dont install many African fps except the ones that fly to EU,NA,SA. i dunno if this is or could be a problem with coding but it would be greatly appreciated.

johanfrc

Again. At the moment it's not possible.

The reasons are the same as above. OCI don't know anything about the plan and it's content, until it is downloaded and is ready to be installed. It don't know anything about the airport.txt, don't know anything about where the airline is flying, don't know which planes are in the plans and so on. That won't happen until the plan is already downloaded and the map is shown.

So unless something really heavy work and a whole new database is made, which will just increase the loading time of the program, it might be best to simply look at the maps that is loaded when the flightplan is downloaded and decide there if you want to keep the plan or not.
Regards

Johan Clausen