Author Topic: How come different code airport code and ICAO code?  (Read 241 times)

Offline Big777jet

• Command Captain
How come different code airport code and ICAO code?
« on: May 25, 2020, 03:06:31 PM »
Hello:

I just looked up at BizJet route map city code. I couldn't open for code FRD. I type KFRD no show-up airport data in AFCAD. I checked Google FRD what is it? Friday Harbor as of KFHR.  Why are the different letters?  FRD and FHR. Most of time city codes like SEA as of KSEA.  LAX as of KLAX. Usually I get open AFCAD code but I noticed few airport codes do not match letters have to different code. Why is that?  I don't understand why they put different letter codes? 

Stuart

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
Re: How come different code airport code and ICAO code?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 03:37:51 PM »
A lot of airports odn't have even remotely similar IATA and ICAO code.

Some great examples are i.e. an airport in Greenland, Narsarsuaq, which is UAK/BGBW, and a Danish airport, Aalborg, which is AAL/EKYT.

BGBW comes from when it was a US military airbase during WW2 called "Bluie West One". The YT is the EKYT ICAO is said to be because the allied during WW2 called it YT. So it stayed there.

Often those airports that has very different IATA and ICAO codes are different because of historic reasons. Like it was a former military airport which had a very different name than what it's called today (like both airports mentioned above).
Regards

Johan Clausen

Offline Dave YVRATC

• Command Captain
Re: How come different code airport code and ICAO code?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 03:06:26 AM »
 The FAA also has their own codes within the US for many smaller airports.