Author Topic: If you bought MSFS 2020 Standard  (Read 3145 times)

Offline hawaiianair25

• Turbine 1st Officer
Re: If you bought MSFS 2020 Standard
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2020, 06:02:24 PM »
Does MSFS 2020 have have accurate real world weather like REX or Activesky? or is that an addon that REX or Activesky have to implement in the future as an addon? I like to fly in real world weather (using weather stations to imput the data)

Offline BruceN

• AIG Technic
  • Command Captain
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2020, 06:19:39 PM »
The Live Weather feature does not load METAR station readings for airports like REX and ActiveSky. It monitors the METAR data and feeds it to the METEOBLUE model, which then produces the weather you see in the sim. The input data is monitored to ensure the model doesn't stray too far from actual weather.

The idea is the weather continues to evolve and change between METAR observations. The problem with this concept is the weather may not match what the METAR is reporting. This may also explain why there are no live thunderstorms in the sim when they are reported with station readings. Thunderstorms are extremely difficult to predict with weather models.

I think there is a very big opportunity for ActiveSky or REX to sell a product for the sim that matches what they are doing in FSX and P3D. ActiveSky has been around a long time and tweaked their algorithms to be very good with nice transitions. The METEOBLUE concept is revolutionary, but still very immature with weather sometimes not even close to what is expected.

Online Big777jet

• Command Captain
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2020, 07:55:59 PM »
Does download working right?  No indicate white or 15% showing at all. I waited 15 minutes. Does that mean still downloading 368GB?

https://imgur.com/8m8hsvn

Stuart

Offline Kaiii3

• AIG Technic
  • Command Captain
    • Kai's AFD Studio
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2020, 08:02:32 PM »
check your Task Manager if theier is traffic on the network. If not I would recommend a restart

Online Big777jet

• Command Captain
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2020, 08:08:08 PM »
https://imgur.com/Z69zfsb

Is still there?  Do I have to wait until complete?

Stuart

Offline Kaiii3

• AIG Technic
  • Command Captain
    • Kai's AFD Studio
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2020, 08:09:12 PM »
i would suggest, closing the application, restart the computer and try again

Online Big777jet

• Command Captain
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2020, 08:39:46 PM »
i would suggest, closing the application, restart the computer and try again

The same thing  ASk for update I click UPDATE   no showing % or white indicate loading.  What's wrong? 

I type forums.flightsimulator.com but not working login or sign up.

Grr..

Stuart

Something went wrong with Microsoft!

Online Big777jet

• Command Captain
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2020, 08:49:44 PM »
What is this?  I already click run as administration.  Now it menu pops up  " Warning: Your computer does not meet the requirements. As a result, you may experience errors during the game. "

What that?  I uploading 23 HOURS!  now nothing!   :nuke:

Stuart

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2020, 08:55:15 PM »
The forum seems to be down..
Regards

Johan Clausen

Online Big777jet

• Command Captain
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2020, 10:11:08 PM »
I select the folder I don't know I click This PC.  and downloading go to 91GB now.  Why this do this again?   I cannot find my folder in the PC. I checked no showing.   This PC.  what is the meaning?  Microsoft makes NO SENSE system.  They are not clear selection or download system wrong way path.  I'm not happy with this. I have to wait for 20 hours to download it again!  Jeesh!  If they are put on the wrong path.  I will try it again carefully select FOLDER to put in my drive C://  Not  This PC.    Windows 10 makes no easier installation at all than years ago. 

Stuart

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Senior Captain
  • C208B-LET410-B1900-DH8C-PA34-PC12, B200 & DA42
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2020, 10:38:25 PM »
..pops up  " Warning: Your computer does not meet the requirements. As a result, you may experience errors during the game. "

What that?  I uploading 23 HOURS!  now nothing!

Could it be your internet speeds that don't meet the requirements? Especially if download was 23 hours (although server problems might be part of that).

www.speedtest.net might give you an idea.

I'm in deep rural England and get 49MBPS (megabits per second) at present on fiber-optic broadband to a cabinet, shortly to become fiber right to my house when the speed will go up a lot higher. We have no problems downloading 3GB files in somewhere between 1 and 2 hours (obviously downloads tend not to consume all the bandwidth, if they did, we'd get that data in just a few minutes).

"Broadband" in itself doesn't mean much because there are huge variations on what you can get over copper lines vs fiber-optic, and whether that fiber-optic line terminates at a cabinet a mile away and then travels over copper lines from there, which kills speeds due to transmission error corrections with noise on the line - which isn't a problem with fiber.

MSFS2020 streams a lot of data to the simulation from the internet, so if your broadband connection gives you 15-25mbps rather than 50mbps, you will see the scenery might look worse and similar problems. That might be what the installer is warning you about. If you use a speed testing website, which moves data between your house and a server (that you can choose, if you like) you should get a fair impression of your actual broadband speed.

The advertised size for MSFS2020 isn't too large, or at least not to the point where it will take 23 hours to download. This might be due to your broadband speed or it might be server congestion, and all you can really learn is your broadband speed. When Microsoft initially offered Windows 10 to users of Windows 8 (as a freebie) the software was distributed by file sharing using (by default) all the computers that had already downloaded Windows 10 - people had to switch this off if they didn't like being a file server for Windows 10! It was how server congestion was avoided then, because when something is released there's always a flood of demand at the beginning.
Idealogically suspect religious arrogance exterminates life.
Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich. Ustinov.
The sadly-mortal George Carlin on soft language

Online Big777jet

• Command Captain
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2020, 10:50:47 PM »
speedtest results download 5.05  is that slow?  AT&T  is suck! 

Stuart

Offline Tuskin38

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2020, 01:44:50 AM »
Here are the system requirements, which includes download speed

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Senior Captain
  • C208B-LET410-B1900-DH8C-PA34-PC12, B200 & DA42
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2020, 09:36:51 PM »
speedtest results download 5.05  is that slow?  AT&T  is suck!

Are you in the US, Stuart? If so then you're at the mercy of the suppliers and the pricing/capability of their various packages, I would guess. I departed from US shores around the time that the Internet was starting, I joined my first UK ISP in 1993 and a 128kpbs modem was just around the corner! I don't really know what the situation is like in the US (well, broadly like the old phone companies used to be, but with speeds now an isssue, which never mattered much on a phone line). There must be packages that offer Gigabit internet, although I guess they would come at considerable cost.

In Britain the situation is quite different, the telecoms backbone here is notionally free enterprise but the infrastructure is essentially monopolized by one organization (only Virgin Media set up their own infrastructure, all other ISPs/phone providers piggyback on the "government" backbone, which is in major expansion mode). We're presently limited by the infrastructure, with fiber to a green cabinet about a half mile away, and copper wire from there, which slows things down a lot because of signal degradation, so we're stuck with 49MBPS rising to perhaps 55MBPS in the early hours. Getting fiber to the house will theoretically give us Gigabit internet, same speed as our wired LAN here in the house. The limiting factor will then be our Wifi, although our wired connections will really fly. If we're unlucky with the fiber conversion we might not get Gigabit, but only about 330MBPS. We're very rural, so there may be limitations.

I just can't quite believe you are getting 5.05MBPS, I wonder whether the speedtest site I quoted let you use a US-based server for the test, or whether you hopped across the Atlantic and got 5.05 for that instead! Then I could believe it.

I just tried it out. From here in the backwoods in England I managed to connect to Comcast in Boston and get 7.5MBPS download and only slightly slower upload. Then I connected to The Fusion Network in Chicago and got almost 50MBPS, close to our line limit until the fiber gets run to the house in the next few months - the ping to Chicago was bad, 111ms, but the speed was excellent! The upload to Chicago was only 6MBPS, but there is a cap on upload speeds even though downloads are seldom ever capped in UK packages these days. Surely US cities would have much better speeds than I have here in the middle of nowhere.

From the chart Tuskin38 provided you will barely be able to run MSFS2020 on minimum settings, if that speed is the best you can get. Do you not get a speed guarantee from AT&T?

Certainly that speed you quoted would be the reason for the 23-hour download and the less-than-spectacular look of the sim.

Mind you, my link barely makes it for the Ideal Spec. For me the PC might be the limiting factor, i7-4790k, not enough RAM, and an old GTX960 GPU!

If you're consistently getting 5.05mbps then you will really need to be shopping around for a better provider or package.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 09:41:58 PM by Per Ardua Ad Ars »
Idealogically suspect religious arrogance exterminates life.
Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich. Ustinov.
The sadly-mortal George Carlin on soft language

Online Big777jet

• Command Captain
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2020, 09:44:16 PM »
Is this WiFi is much slower download? Is Ethernet cable a much faster download? My PC is connected with wifi. I figured it out. But I did not change to Ethernet setting.  If I change from WIFI to Ethernet will it work through?  I am very afraid of it.I changed will never connect again and may have to call AT&T technical come to set up again or something. I am nervous.  Will it won't hurt to change?  I have a yellow cable to my PC tower to modem router but never USED!  I didn't think of it. I don't know why I put cable plugged it.  I didn't realize it now. Can I pause download then change WiFi to Ethernet then unpasue will go faster again?   Please let me know.  BTW,  I get 4GB per hour!  It is SLOW!!!! 

Thanks,

Stuart