Author Topic: From P3Dv3 to wich version ?  (Read 802 times)

Offline FrancoisM

• Turbine Captain
From P3Dv3 to wich version ?
« on: October 16, 2020, 04:10:45 PM »
Hi guys,

When I came back to FS 4 years ago, the thing to go was P3Dv3
Now I'm starting to get limited in my choices of add-ons (generally speaking) and I consider changing my version.
MSFS2020 is not an option right now because I'm more of the AI-contemplative kind :)

So, should I go for P3Dv4 or P3Dv5 ? (I'm OK hardware wise)

Thanks for your input

Francois.

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
Re: From P3Dv3 to wich version ?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 04:48:18 PM »
I would go with v5. Most of the AI work for v4 works perfect in v5, so not a huge amount of things to do on that.

Sure there are still software that don't work in v5, but most of the "big" addons have been updated. Most stuff that worked in v3 and v4 will also work fine in v5, but you might need to check if there have been updates to it.
Regards

Johan Clausen

Offline blazer1234

• Turbine Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 08:05:47 PM »
Johan,

Why do you prefer V5?
What difference did you experience switching to V5?
Can you share a more in-depth review between the both?

Thanks

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 08:18:19 PM »
For me it's mainly the visuals. I think v5 is a lot better visually than v4. v5 have different shaders, and they make it look more realistic in terms of lighting and shadowing.

AI wise it's more or less the same. Yes. There are differences, but it's something I can live with for the time being.

I really don't have a in-depth review of both. It's simply my gut feeling that currently I think v5 is the best sim. MSFS is better in many aspects, yes, but it needs a lot of work and a lot of updates to be good enough to switch to. And it's not going for me for the next long time. The addons I primarily use have all been updated to work with v5, so for me it was not hard to change to v4. So I can't give you anything else then that. v4 could be as fine as v5, but personalæy I'll go with v5 as it is the best sim for my use (I've never tried X-Plane, so I can't say if that would be better for me).
Regards

Johan Clausen

Offline Dave YVRATC

• Command Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 11:32:28 PM »
 I too love the visuals in V5 over V4 by a long shot, also for me the overall performance is much better. I wouldn't say a massive frame rate increase, just smoother. Now the downsides and even why I removed V5 and went back to V4. 1 is that there are still lots of my addon's that aren't V5 compatible. 2 and probably the bigger issue for me is that the world airport update LM did in V5 while more up to date in the footprint of the airport is the lack of effort with default terminal buildings and parking etc. It's not like we can just add in our old ADE's either as there's the new issue that default scenery objects and taxi signs will show up as well from underneath or they don't align correctly to the newer more accurate airport footprints. I've got 1900+ ade's from addon scenery and tweaked default airports, to go and edit each of them to work in v5 is just a pain in the ass, maybe I'm just getting old.  :-\

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 09:13:23 AM by jhaley101 »

Offline Konkorol

• Turbine 1st Officer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 06:56:27 AM »
The AFD issue is, on the other hand, a big advantage, compared to any other previous FS version: We now have really sloped ground, runways, taxiways. Yes, one needs to adjust his things, add exclusion areas, adding different heights, but for me it's worth the job. Step by step, from airport to airport. I've moved now nearly 700 country and airline hub sceneries from previous versions to v5.

Most other advantages already were named.
It's just fine the way it is..
Dieter

Offline Kaiii3

• AIG Technic
  • Command Captain
    • Kai's AFD Studio
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 07:00:36 AM »
simple: v4 is no longer supoorted, so why do you should buy an old piece of software? 5 is a huge step in the next direction with TrueSky and DX12.

Offline jhaley101

• Command Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 09:13:46 AM »
Dave's comments are EXACTLY my sentiment.    V5 is still a problem with multiple crashes and hangs.   You'll do fine with it until you add something that causes a problem and you may not even know or realize what it is until its too late and then you have a steady stream of problems. 

Read the LM forums and the LENGTHY posts associated to problems.   I would wait until the next patch which someone here posted was not far off.     V4 is rock solid and I have tons of addons installed.   I can't argue about how smooth v5 is, performance is clearly ahead of v4, but what's the point if you can't use it properly, facing hangs and crashes all the time.    Why won't LM make some post about the status of what's going on in terms of a HF, the overall status of what they've discovered so far, DX 12, the status of the weather/environment feature?     

I think it's worth mentioning from your OP, that you say your OK hardware wise, but you should make sure that you have a good video card if you're going to go right to v5.   As for an answer, if you can wait for the next fix, see how things run afterwards, I'd wait for v5.   Sounds like your simply considering options, but if you need to transition now and have lots of addons, I wouldn't think twice, I'd get v4.   

Offline AF082

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 11:00:08 AM »
If you are okay hardware wise, as per your post (at least 8Gb Vram?) then v5 would be the way forward. It is not as refined as 4.5 but it is the one that is being developed and 5.1 will be out soon. I see Orbx have already started to release addons for v5 only, not backward compatible.

Offline FrancoisM

• Turbine Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 10:00:49 PM »
Many thanks guys  ::cheers::
Will wait for V5.1 to come out

F.

Online Dimon

• Command Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 07:40:32 PM »
Yes.

Waiting for the V5.1 + 3090Ti for Christmas.  ;)
FS AI Enthusiast since 2002

I7-9900k@5.0 Stable OC,  RTX2080Ti, 32GB RAM W10Pro
P3D V4.5HF2

Online Dimon

• Command Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 01:30:43 PM »
I too love the visuals in V5 over V4 by a long shot, also for me the overall performance is much better. I wouldn't say a massive frame rate increase, just smoother. Now the downsides and even why I removed V5 and went back to V4. 1 is that there are still lots of my addon's that aren't V5 compatible. 2 and probably the bigger issue for me is that the world airport update LM did in V5 while more up to date in the footprint of the airport is the lack of effort with default terminal buildings and parking etc. It's not like we can just add in our old ADE's either as there's the new issue that default scenery objects and taxi signs will show up as well from underneath or they don't align correctly to the newer more accurate airport footprints. I've got 1900+ ade's from addon scenery and tweaked default airports, to go and edit each of them to work in v5 is just a pain in the ass, maybe I'm just getting old.  :-\

Didn't know about ADE issues. Does that mean that I have to correct all pre-V5 ADE files created for the custom-made airports?

P3D V4.5HF2

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 06:10:49 PM »
In a way yes. LM decided somehow to get rid of exclusion BGL and put it into the AFCAD instead. So if you use a v4 AFCAD in a v5 scenery, you might end up with a scenery that has default buildings too. But regarding the altitude, it's not a problem for most airports, but for some.

I personally only fly at airports that is already made v5 compatible, so I don't have the problem with neither AFCAD nor exclusion.

I don't care if I have AFCADs for all the airports that is needed in flightplans. So for me it doesn't matter that much to have many custom AFCAD's.

And I have not have a crash in P3Dv5 at all. And with HF3 it was actually very stable. In the earlier releases it wasn't that stable for sure. But now it's very stable. At least what I have experienced. But omkay I mostly uses it for watching AI and maybe have a single or 2 flights once in a while.
Regards

Johan Clausen

Online Dimon

• Command Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 06:15:42 PM »
Interesting,

I remember back in FS2004 days, it was possible to create your own exclusions in a very fast and easy manner. Wish we had this ability to "patch" old ADEs in V5 as well.

I'm still with the 4.5HF3. Stable, nice and lovely, especially after I reinstalled everything from the scratch after my romance with MSFS2020 failed   

P3D V4.5HF2