Author Topic: FLAi  (Read 2550 times)

Offline tmead2020

• Prop Captain
FLAi
« on: January 09, 2021, 06:02:20 PM »
With FLAi going out of business does this mean the end of AIG One-Click Installer? https://www.facebook.com/flaivatsim

Offline Ryan1549

• AIG Dispatch Beta Tester
  • Command Captain
    • FSAI-Repaints
Re: FLAi
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 06:05:06 PM »
With FLAi going out of business does this mean the end of AIG One-Click Installer? https://www.facebook.com/flaivatsim

Very far from it, OCI is just getting started  :stirpot:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 06:08:31 PM by Ryan1549 »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/165661080@N04
https://flightaware.com/user/ryan1549

AIG Beta | AIG Dispatch Painter | AIG Dispatch Flightplanner

Intel i7-9700k, 32GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660 Super

Offline Kaiii3

• AIG Technic
  • Command Captain
    • Kai's AFD Studio
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 06:08:06 PM »
why shoud it? They are 2 completly different kind of products and as said before, OCI is currently getting some major new features for the future ;)

Offline mazelda

• Prop Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 05:27:28 PM »
Am i missing somthing here?
From what i have read around the various forums it would seem that several people are getting all bent out of shape because a group of painters have quite rightly banded together and said they will not allow their paints to be used with Flai, as another company is trying to use them for a paid product by using the models/paints from them
Surely this should have been Flai's problem to knock on the head if that was indeed the case. And not assume that the painters would not get upset. (Rather naieve if you ask me) anyway i applaude all the painters for standing up  and saying no
I bet half the moaners don't even know about aig or the oci.
So as i said,am i missing something or is it just sour grapes

Offline Tuskin38

• Prop Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 11:07:19 PM »
another company is trying to use them for a paid product by using the models/paints from them

No one was trying to sell them.

Unless there was something more going on other than FSLTL that I'm not aware of.

Offline chasensfo

• Turbine Captain
  • Ahoy there
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 12:28:57 PM »
they will not allow their paints to be used with Flai, as another company is trying to use them for a paid product by using the models/paints from them
I am not aware of any sale. But if there was one, you are saying you'd applaud users for not allowing their freeware to be enjoyed by the masses because someone wants to convert them to payware for the purposes of VATSIM model matching? So just screw the many thousands of VATSIM users all at once to make a buck. Got it. As someone who has made hundreds of freeware files for FS over the years, I would never do this to the community. Nor would most people I know who have contributed way more. It is nothing to be proud of to suddenly make a decision that causes headaches for so many people in the community, check your attitude. People are not pleased with this, and I have yet to see a post on AIG displaying any kind of concern for their opinions. Check out the VATSIM Facebook page and see what I mean. EDIT: Nevermind, it seems they've deleted dozens and dozens of posts about it. Gee, I wonder why?  ::rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 12:42:08 PM by chasensfo »

Offline Kaiii3

• AIG Technic
  • Command Captain
    • Kai's AFD Studio
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 01:02:46 PM »
you will mostlikly see no statement from AIG regarding this, the reason for that is quite simple:

The premissions were revoked by individual people and not by AIG, so it is up to the painters to release their statements if the want. Some of them have posted their statements in the different forums and social media plattforms already ;)

Offline embeee

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 11:17:40 PM »
I also don't understand this obsession with copyright that exists among freeware flight sim developers. I would never dream of restricting what people can do with my freeware work, because why in the world would I? I'd be thrilled if someone improved on my work by modifying it or made it available to more people by reuploading it somewhere else, regardless of whether I got credit for it or not. I lose absolutely nothing from that, and the whole point of freeware is to give lots of people the ability to enjoy it in lots of different ways. I also wouldn't want to waste my time answering e-mails from people asking for permission to use my work. I've got more fun things to do in life.

It's especially frustrating when we've all seen the incredible power of open-source/Creative Commons licenses. Neither Wikipedia nor Android/Linux would exist if those who made them would have copyrighted their work. Even Apple's OSX which powers all iPhones and Mac computers around the world is based on BSD which uses a license that allows anyone to do whatever they want with it.

The flight sim world would have had so much more content if freeware developers had allowed people to reuse or modify their work without permission, and that would have benefitted the developers themselves by getting a richer flight sim world. Apart from much more airports we could have converted all AI models to P3Dv4 by now, and we would have had one (or probably several) complete, regularly updated AI packages many, many years ago, long before AIGAIM. That would have saved people thousands and thousands of hours as everyone wouldn't have had to build and maintain their own AI installations. But for some reason it's always been more important to control what users do and include those bizarre license files that tell people in all-caps that they can't do X, Y and Z "BECAUSE I SAY SO!!!!!!"

It's a DDS file.. For a hobby.. That's supposed to be fun.. And will be downloaded by maybe a few thousand people.. If someone has the time and energy to care about what people do with that they need to find more important things in life to care about.

Offline Andy

• Super K!
  • Administrator
  • Command Captain
  • Bear with a Sore Head
    • Flickr Photos by ME. :)
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 11:39:17 PM »
If you want open source, sadly, you have to make it yourself and release it under said license. Die by the sword.
Live life for the accomplishments, not for the compliments.

My photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/Sud-Est/

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Senior Captain
  • C208B-LET410-B1900-DH8C-PA34-PC12, B200 & DA42
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 10:27:12 AM »
I also don't understand this obsession with copyright that exists among freeware flight sim developers.

The moment money changes hands, the terms of any "volunteer's" contribution have changed. There's a scale of aggrievement that they'll feel, depending on what they made.

20 years ago I created a pro-bono software suite for a charity in the UK that vastly improved on the software in use up until then (charities are often cash-strapped). One of the directors departed to the USA and, I discovered a while later, had marketed it almost "as is", just with a revised front end. Did rather well from it, I believe.

I'd sat for 2 hours each evening for many months designing and implementing this suite sustained by a warm sense that I was doing something good and that the act of doing it was my reward, that maybe someone downstream would offer up some silent thanks for the developer. And that sustains right up to the moment when someone basically steals your karma by profiting from it. Who's going to thank me now?

If someone has the time and energy to care about what people do with that they need to find more important things in life to care about.

Which is one reason why the community is far less active than it used to be, and somewhat less of a community.
Idealogically suspect religious arrogance exterminates life.
Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich. Ustinov.
The sadly-mortal George Carlin on soft language