Author Topic: @ ATCO  (Read 1667 times)

Offline blazer1234

• Turbine Captain
@ ATCO
« on: January 15, 2021, 07:34:23 PM »
Gary

May I thank you for your paints , I am grateful you enriched my virtual sim experience.
I can only guess why you stopped, but I can imagine the unthankfulness MSFS community did some things that didn't motivate you to continue, on the other hand, It's not of my business

I hope you keep save and healthy and I wish you all the best for the future!

André
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 11:18:26 AM by blazer1234 »

Offline atco

• AIG Dispatch Painter
  • Command Captain
  • Notepad Ninja
    • ATCO Repaints
Re: @ ATCO
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 01:20:30 AM »
Thanks Andre,

There's been many reasons, the primary one is that its not been fun recently. Over the last month or so AIG has been villified by the community who only know little of the story - there are always two sides. Its been incredibly stressful and difficult trying to work through it all, trying our best to come to agreements and working with others while protecting our interests and how we want our work to be used. There is so much that goes on behind the scenes that you all don't see.
Then when you see some of the reactions afterwards - one person called us "Nazi's" for heavens sake then it's hard not to wonder why we bother doing what we do.
I've been incredibly moved though by the messages I have received, so much so that its difficult for me to think I could leave forever. It's too early to decide yet, but I do need some time away from it to recharge.
I'm trying hard to remind myself that the community is full of lots of great people like yourself and those that make the most noise are a small minority that just want to go round trashing everything before them.

With all that's going on in the World right now, the last thing I need is another source of stress in something that is supposed to be my escape for fun.
The industry I work in is on its knees, 118 of my colleagues have been given notice of layoff and there is no sign of a recovery or of government help coming.
Vectors to nowhere, around nobody for no reason

Offline trioer

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 01:40:33 PM »
Hi Gary,

I just want to echo Andre's thoughts as well. I couldn't have said it any better than him.

I really hope things start turning around for you, your industry, and everyone else that has been affected during these trying times.
"Here come the Hawks, the mighty Blackhawks!"

Offline alexvs

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 07:40:50 PM »
Hi Gary,

I indeed don't know what going on behind the FS scene. But, notice that 99% of all us here in the forum and beyond appreciate your work for years and years. Let those 1% that call names at us (you're not standing allone in this situation), leave them and don't take them serious. I for one have alot of your repaints in my sim, and one for one they are super.

Maybe an advice. Take some time off from the community, a month or so (not more  :)), stand strong in the Covid-19 crisis with your work, and come back. We need you, stressfree.

Regards,
Jeroen
The Netherlands
Regards,
Jeroen
The Netherlands

Offline duckbilled

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 02:20:03 PM »
I agree. Your work and the work of other involved with this project is immensely appreciated. I don't know what happened behind the scenes, but I watched the threads on AVSIM. There just seems that there are a lot of folks in the MSFS world who love to tear down established developers. I'm not sure why, but I think it is appalling.

Windows 10 Pro; P3DV4, ASP4, REXSF, AIGAIM, ProATCx, GSX

I9-9900k @ 5.0; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus Strix GTX 1080ti; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, Single 32" 4k Monitor

Offline Planeblogger

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 08:23:12 PM »
Gary, I almost never post here but logged on to say take your time and thanks for what you have done.

Erik

Offline Ned Kelly

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 08:59:47 AM »
Hi Gary,

I just went to your site to download a repaint and saw that they are no longer available.  :'(

I do not know the reasons why but respect your decision not to continue.

I just want to say a big thank you for your repaints and the work you have put in over the years, they have been much appreciated by myself.

Good luck with the future.

Offline Per Ardua Ad Ars

• Senior Captain
  • C208B-LET410-B1900-DH8C-PA34-PC12, B200 & DA42
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 10:33:15 AM »
Hi Gary,

I know that it's never easy to stick with something that, frankly, isn't essential to life when there's unpleasantness and so on making things difficult. All of this against a backdrop of rampaging disease in what's supposed to be a "world community" that, thanks to lines on maps and in minds, often behaves like anything but a community, and which heaps problem upon problem.

We have work, we have the activities of daily life (shopping, cooking, laundry etc) that we have to do, and then we have leisure filling what's left of our day. The quality of our leisure time is critical to the quality of our lives even when life is being kinder to us all; even when the sun is shining on our shoulders we have to be somewhat "ruthless" about what gives us enjoyment and joy in our days, and prioritize in order to recover our balance. Your industry (which is mine also) is suffering unimaginably right now, and we're having to bend even our working lives out of shape in order to stay working (you should see some of the flying jobs I've now touched with a bargepole after all..).

With all of this backdrop, we change what we need to change in order to infuse what's left of normality with a bit of the joy we feel we're losing a hold on. Leisure's the easiest of the aspects to change. We have to "play better".

I value your work that improves our sim setups but, you know what (?) , I'd ask you to stop if I knew that you were risking psychological harm by painting through some sense of duty to others, including me. When the "play" is taken out of the picture, a hobby becomes a terribly-paid and joyless job. We all need to understand that this absolutely real pandemic - which my wife is working to fight, right there on the front line - is affecting us all whether we realize it or not. Many of us are at the end of our ropes because even play doesn't feel like playing anymore, and by injecting conflict into other people's leisure activities in times like these, "other actors" are displaying a lack of empathy, when empathy should be what defines us as human. Empathy is a facet of enlightenment, a product of higher thinking.

For your sake, Gary, I'm glad you made this decision. I'm just sad that people and circumstances have come together to make it a vital decision that affects other people too.

If you chose not to come back to this hobby, I'd at least be content knowing that you found another course in life that is more fulfilling and joyful. It's ideally what I want for everybody, at least so long as they are getting pleasure from not harming other people. When contributors such as you are on the wrong end of unpleasantness you've every right to rewrite your own future, and more power to you.

Thanks for all that you've done for the hobby.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 10:39:39 AM by Per Ardua Ad Ars »
Idealogically suspect religious arrogance exterminates life.
Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich. Ustinov.
The sadly-mortal George Carlin on soft language

Offline sticky1202

• Turbine 1st Officer
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 12:19:46 PM »
I'm not sure this is the right place to ask, but is anyone planning on replacing Garys' paints? IF (and I hope he returns soon) he stays away indefinitely, many many paints of very popular airlines will be gone. I'm not trying to put pressure on anyone, just curious. Thanks to Gary, and all the great painters out there!!  ::thumbsup::

Jim
Jim