Main Menu

[Feature request] AIM should skip unavailable files.

Started by jstnj, May 28, 2022, 04:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jstnj

Because the models and textures are being downloaded from various locations...there are many situations where files are unavailable.

I am not sure the current logic, but right now, for example: https://www.juergenbaumbusch.de/paints/Emirates/TFS%20A380%20Emirates.zip

^this link which is required for Emirates plans, is unavailable at the time of me making this post. It does not 404, or 500..it just does not download.

Today in AIM, that file ^ being unavailable makes the entire livery/plan/model installation process hang, forcing you to restart the application and skip the airlines that have models with this issue.

What I think would be useful is a 90? second wait for a 200 status or something. If AIM doesnt see a 200, or if the download does not start in 90 seconds...AIM should skip it and move on.

Thanks!

johanfrc

I just updated Emirates too, and that link worked fine, so no idea why it shouldn't work. And when the plans were in beta the link also worked.

So sounds like it's a problem on either the server, or something similar between you and the website.
Regards

Johan Clausen

Mr. JB

You also should keep in mind, that the plans just relased, yesterday and many user tried to download at the same time. This will probably lead to a timeout or waiting queque as well. Maybe you postpone download to an early morning hour, late night or wait a few days, until the dust have settled a litte bit.

::cheers::

jstnj

Quote from: Mr. JB on May 28, 2022, 04:45:06 PMYou also should keep in mind, that the plans just relased, yesterday and many user tried to download at the same time. This will probably lead to a timeout or waiting queque as well. Maybe you postpone download to an early morning hour, late night or wait a few days, until the dust have settled a litte bit.

::cheers::

Totally understand and this is exactly why this failsafe should be added to AIM

jstnj

Quote from: johanfrc on May 28, 2022, 04:33:57 PMI just updated Emirates too, and that link worked fine, so no idea why it shouldn't work. And when the plans were in beta the link also worked.

So sounds like it's a problem on either the server, or something similar between you and the website.

Hello! Yeah I'm not debating that the link is completely invalid...I'm just trying to outline that all links won't always work, and that AIM beta does not deal with that gracefully.

Kaiii3

there is a failsafe as long as the timeout command is activated server or client site.

jstnj

What are the client side parameters a user needs to set to make this happen? Because I see recent posts this week from other users describing the same issue.