Author Topic: "Virtual AI Airlines"- Thoughts?  (Read 3020 times)

Offline md11forever

• AI Pirate. Yaaarr!
  • Command Captain
  • I've moved on to FSX
    • My Photos on Flickr!
"Virtual AI Airlines"- Thoughts?
« on: December 11, 2008, 02:52:57 AM »
I just wanted to post here with my thoughts on (what I think is) an interesting idea- "non-traditional virtual airlines"; or perhaps we should call them "Virtual AI Airlines".
The idea is that since the sim is our own little virtual world, we can populate it with pretty much whatever we want. This doesn't mean you should have the Wright Flyer scheduled on a 1345 departure to London; rather things can be done in a somewhat realistic fashion.

During my 20+ years in the model railroad hobby, I was for the most part what was referred to as a "freelancer"- one who created his own railroad. There are a few different variations on this theme- you could create your own company AND all the other companies in your virtual world; or you could have your own and place it on a real-world map and have it interact with other actual companies. Mine was the latter variety, I had the line plotted out on actual topo maps, had mileage figured out, stations, track layouts, etc. I also had accurate freight car and locomotive rosters figured out all the way from my modeled timeframe of 1983 back to around 1900. Armed with this information, I created my own decals for the models and had started work on an "accurate" rendition of a portion of the line.

Nothing is wrong with either freelance option, and to an extent we are all doing this in our sims already, seeing as how we are never 100% accurate or up-to-date.
There are also some traditional virtual airlines that have their own AI traffic (the very nice Atlantic Sun organization comes to mind), so they would operate under a similar idea.

Over the past month, an idea born of too much time laying around in the hotel on layovers has started to come to life...my own "freelance" airline which will be flying around in my sim. I'm not going to divulge too much information on this just yet, but may so eventually. My question is this- is there any interest in discussing the concept further? I know there are those who would not like this idea, and that's fine. Everyone has an opinion. To me, this has been a way for me to express my creativity and experiment with new techniques (to me) in Photoshop. If there is a positive response to this, perhaps we could create an additional forum section here at AIG for discussion and exchange of ideas; maybe even a "virtual airline exchange" where we could have other freelance airlines flying in our sims.

Please post your thoughts on this..
George Widener

Now Rockin' FSX via Alienware

Offline NWADC9

• Senior Captain
  • Piper Driver
Re: "Virtual AI Airlines"- Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 03:50:06 AM »
I've always been thinking of getting my fantasy airline, Pittsburgh Air, up in the Western PA skies, but that would mean yet another plane to paint and coming up with a schedule! Of course, I could just make representative flightplans.. ;)

Offline Maestro69

• Turbine 1st Officer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 04:03:40 AM »
Well, i play Airline Empires (not sure if many people know the game, but anyways..) and 2-3 years back i did have an idea of making flightplans based on routes i fly on that game with liveries for AI aircraft which i would buy in the game also. Thus, creating a virtual AI mega airline which would be flying all these major routes around the world...

But it didnt really get off the ground..  ::jerry::

Offline Mosha

• AIG Honored Members
  • Command Captain
  • AIG Dispatch La-Un, Ranong, Thailand.
    • Alpha India Group
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 04:31:13 AM »
I did have at one time a fleet of Aircraft I had painted after an amateurish fashion a fleet of UI Aircraft. Whiterose air whose base was at Leeds/Bradford. I lost the files in a pc crash, and since moving to vista The paint program I had wouldn't work. So Yorkshire Air is grounded.
Regards, Steve

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline Hornets Nest

• Command Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 10:19:38 AM »
Whilst I can fully understand the reasoning and the creativity behind your idea, I find myself pressed to keep up even with the FP and repaint updates that come out for real world airlines let alone worrying about maintaining any kind of virtual airline.  I stretch 'reality' in my sim by keeping most of the airlines that have demised in the last 12 months flying, because I enjoy that variety..

Not wishing to pour cold water on your idea, George, but you asked.  ;)  If I had the time, I would probably respond enthusiastically and thoroughly enjoy the experience.  Sadly, the real world is not our friend at the moment and making sure I stay in work means pumping in even more hours than I did before - as for many people - limiting my time for FS even further..
Best regards

Matthew

Offline vc-10

• Command Captain
  • Fly Embraer Jets!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 11:13:37 AM »
Bit like this then?

(Old livery)

(New Livery)
This stemmed out of Airline Empires. I just couldn't keep up with my ever changing route map and fleet...

Offline Skeptic_All

• Prop Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 12:22:27 PM »
Like I don't already have enough traffic jamming up most of my majors.

Offline FMCS

• AIG Honored Members
  • Command Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 02:54:07 PM »
Well.. I've had my virtual airlines flying around for a long time pretty much since my first Ai aircraft were installed in FS2000 I believe. I do enjoy flying around in my sim but I never fly a 'real world airline' so over the years I've made my own that meant painting the Ui and Ai fleets. Cargo, regional, etc, but none are very big and usually the main hubs they (AI) operate from are modified small airports, so that they never clutter up main airports...

Frank

Offline md11forever

• AI Pirate. Yaaarr!
  • Command Captain
  • I've moved on to FSX
    • My Photos on Flickr!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 06:03:21 PM »
Like I don't already have enough traffic jamming up most of my majors.

Like anyone is forcing you to install more. ;)
George Widener

Now Rockin' FSX via Alienware

Offline Лазербик

• Turbine 2nd Officer
  • Russian AI Traffic System Team
    • Russian AI Traffic System
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 09:13:57 PM »
I wanted to do this on my sim. It's evolve a lot for me. I started with a fake airline, for UI flights to wherever place I want, then I paint more planes, then I even go as far as to make my own country to place this airline. Even then making up a whole airlines system (with regional branch and cargo, etc..) Then I begin with AI paints. But, I cannot make scenery, or flightplans, so all of this AI it's grounded for now, but is a fun project to work in between RATS paints.

Yes I know, I have got no life. :D
Enzo Soliani  |  Энцо Солиани  |  ソリアーニ・エンゾ

Russian AI Traffic System : Helping to bring Russia back to life!

Offline jesse_reid

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 09:52:55 PM »
Please post your thoughts on this..

I think there is merit to the idea. My main issues with virtual airlines are:
1) The paint schemes are usually amateurish and terribly painted at that. Considering the caliber of painters such as yourself, and others around these parts, this wouldn't be an issue.
2) They see fit to paint every aircraft from the Wright Flyer I through to the Space Shuttle, and then upload them all to avsim. Now I recognize that the idea is to have fun and offer their members a great variety of aircraft to choose from, and fair enough, too. I get the impression though that you'd be taking it more seriously if you did it. In terms of offering to help, I could make a callsign in EVP if you ever wanted one, but a lack of talent in all other areas would require that to be the extent of my contribution.
Perhaps if you got enough interest you could have an in-house AIG virtual airline? I don't really know how AIG is structured so I don't know whether that would be possible or even desirable, but it's still something to consider. Then again, you also sound like you've put a not inconsiderable amount of thought into this, so you've probably got some definite ideas about what you want to do and how you want to go about it, and bringing others into it would either wreck those ideas or sour you on the whole concept.

Lastly, there is one tremendous advantage a virtual airline has: you won't suddenly read about it going bankrupt due to a slowing global economy or rising fuel prices! A catastrophic computer crash, on the other hand..
No To Australian Internet Censorship!
http://www.nocleanfeed.com/

Offline vc-10

• Command Captain
  • Fly Embraer Jets!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 11:33:30 PM »
1) The paint schemes are usually amateurish and terribly painted at that. Considering the caliber of painters such as yourself, and others around these parts, this wouldn't be an issue.

I rather like my 'BWA' livery. BWA stand for British World Airlines by the way.

Offline jesse_reid

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 12:19:27 AM »

I concur, I meant to add an edit to my post saying exactly that. And I was going to ask what BWA stands for!
No To Australian Internet Censorship!
http://www.nocleanfeed.com/

Offline Maestro69

• Turbine 1st Officer
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 01:47:02 AM »

I rather liked BWA too... to crush in AE  :stirpot:

Offline dsaddons

• Turbine 2nd Officer
    • dsaddons
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 02:35:38 AM »
I had one on my old system called Alien Airways which flew from Las Vegas - Loas Angeles - Pheonix