Author Topic: Get Proper FDE Set's - AI FDE Settings Changes & Results  (Read 81599 times)

Offline M-Sauce

• Command Captain
Re: Get Proper FDE Set's - AI FDE Settings Changes & Results
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2008, 05:31:03 AM »
I tend to go for realistic performance. It is only the really busy airports during rush hours that get bogged down. And that is fine by me, I'm not on the tarmac waiting in que, and I'm not up in the air doing several go-arrounds staring at the fuel gauges. FS9 fuel is priced just right as well.  ;)

I've edited my AI's cfg files for realistic performance. I've derated a lot of the heavies so that they use up the right amount of runway length. I've got my A340s rolling about 8500 feet before liftoff, which is still quite sporty for the 340, which normally takes almost the whole length to get airborne (curvature of the earth technique  ::evilgrin:: )

The only planes that I've improved the performance for is the A319, B733, and the B737. This is because I need them to get airborne from SBRJ.  ;D

Mariano  ::cheers::
ROG Rampage V Edition 10, Intel Core i7-6850K 4.6GHz (OC & Watercooled)
Corsair VLPX DDR4-3200 64GB , Samsung M2 960 PRO 2TB, SanDisk 1TBx2 (RAID 0)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC (2xSLI & Watercooled), Asus ROG PG348Q, TM HOTAS Warthog
Caselabs Merlin SM8, Corsair AX1500i, Win 10 Pro 64Bit, P3D Version 4

Offline rmk2008

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 10:30:25 AM »
Hi All,
Hope you all had a great Christmas..
I've updated my .air and aircraft.cfg files with Jans but am getting problems. When I start at an airport all is well with the AI sitting nicely on the tarmac, but if I take off and return to it or fly to another airport the AI are either hovering above the tarmac or buried in it. The Airbuses are least affected,  the Aardvark are above the tarmac and AIG 757s are half buried. Any ideas why this should be and how I may fix it?
Thanks in advance
Peace
René

Offline Andy

• Super K!
  • AIG Ops
  • Command Captain
  • Bear with a Sore Head
    • Flickr Photos by ME. :)
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 01:17:41 PM »
Does this happen at all airports or just certain ones?
Live life for the accomplishments, not for the compliments.

My photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/Sud-Est/

Offline rmk2008

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 02:17:22 PM »
Does this happen at all airports or just certain ones?

thanks for replying!!
So far it seems to be all, default as well as addons
Peace
René

Offline Jan Martin

• Turbine Captain
  • FS Addon Designer
    • Jan's Websites
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 09:33:55 PM »
Hi Danny :)

Try changing flap settings, particularly flaps drag.
Do you mean the settings in the *.air file? Those in the aircraft.cfg have no significant affect, as you can see on my table.
I want my AI to land as close as possible as aircraft in real life.
As an FDE designer I have to consider the different demands of different people.
Sorry to be a moaner but A318 rotation speed of 220kts?
Don't apologize for beeing a moaner, but for picking one of the worst cases. However, you're right of course, and for the newer models from EvolveAI, TFS, CDAI, and most of the Aardvarks, I've plans to upgrade them to the higher adv standard next year, the AIG's are already updated.

---   ---   ---

Hi Klemen :)

Ai landing distance should be long as much as aircraft needs to first real taxiway out - should not be too long, but to exit after 700m of touchdown is too short.
Facts from the real world:
  • SBRJ 4363ft / 1330m (op.by B737 A319 F100)
  • EGLC 3922ft / 1195m (op.by ARJ)
---   ---   ---

Hi rml2008 :)

On the one hand, your problem isn't unknown, and on the other hand, I don't know any solution for it since I have seen this years ago for the last time. However, floating over ground effect while parked at the start of a simulation situation can be removed by changing  the 'static_cg_height'. Did you check the airport altitude in the airports.txt to be correct, btw?

Regards Jan
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 10:33:21 PM by Jan Martin »

Offline Klemen

• AIG Dispatch Advisor
  • Command Captain
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 10:26:37 PM »

Hi Klemen :)

Ai landing distance should be long as much as aircraft needs to first real taxiway out - should not be too long, but to exit after 700m of touchdown is too short.
Facts from the real world:
  • SBRJ 4363ft / 1330m (op.by B737 A319 F100)
  • EGLC 3922ft / 1195m (op.by ARJ)
Heya,

I know, but if this are aircrafts maximum landing/take off distances this should be taken, but something are short landing where in RL pilots land as short as possible, landings are hard and braking is maximum. But that can not be simulated but taking 1000m will do the trick I think. But this is a bit quick comperrison, would need to calculate for better post, but anyway, nice that someone is doing an upgrades on air files  ::cheers:: Thanks!

Area ATC | Ljubljana Radar | LJLA

Offline Jan Martin

• Turbine Captain
  • FS Addon Designer
    • Jan's Websites
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 11:27:30 AM »
Hi Folks :)

I now can announce that I have found solutions for some previously unsolved problems in the past weeks. The already released v5acofadv FDE's will be updated once again therefore. What you can expect:

• correct empty weights
  • correct wingspan for FSX users
  • speeds improved for all phases of flight
  • no unrealistic angle of attacks
  • climb rate oscillations during climb to point of acceleration eased
  • no more absurd climb rate increases at higher altitudes
  • improved descent and final approach flap settings
  • nose pitch oscillations at turning to ILS glide slope eased
  • no porpoising on final approach
  • touchdown behaviour improved
  • rollout lengthed

Flaps finally extract more realistically, to about 50% already during descent before turning to ILS and before the gear is extracted.

Many simmers complained about too short runway length usage. I won't get away from my 4000ft / 7000ft policy, but I'll increase the rollout length.

Though the sets are named 'acof', you might try them for FSX, too. The wingspan values will be correct according to Reggie's table.

Release of the first batch of real v5acofadv FDE's for AIG's / DJC's / TFS's possibly in March ..

Regards Jan

Offline EDDK

• Command Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 11:37:17 AM »
Fantastic Jan! No chance for combining your better FDE's with Shockwave lights? ..since they are a inherent part for many users that (sadly) will not be able to use your FDE's.
Regards, Philippe

Offline Mosha

• AIG Honored Members
  • Command Captain
  • AIG Dispatch La-Un, Ranong, Thailand.
    • Alpha India Group
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 02:49:03 PM »
Hi Folks :)

5 years ago, I found that it is nearly impossible to receive a good AI flight behaviour for all situations of flight simulation, today I'm more experienced, but circumstances haven't changed of course. For example, a B747 must be able to take off from a 7000ft runway, since this happens in real world at some airports. There are many examples for short and frequented runways worldwide. Additionally, many users prefer short braking distances to reduce go-arounds and increase the runway capacity. Every FDE set must consider this. Such base conditions mostly affect the behaviour in different flight situations, like take off speeds, which are mostly close to the upper level, and landing speeds at the lower level therefore. The AI engine does not know climb rate reductions during climb to cruise altitude, climb IAS speeds can be higher than in reality in lower airspace or reduce to unrealistic values the higher the aircraft climbs therefore.
Regards Jan

Years ago Ward Air used to fly 747-200s out of LBA down to BHX I Think. The rear wheels just touching the grass. Brakes on, full flaps, and full power. Drop the clutch release the brakes. Yes I know, aircraft don't have a clutch.  :stirpot: I don't think the runway was long enough in those days
Regards, Steve

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline Ben

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
  • AIG Ops | Flightplanner | Private Pilot
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 03:06:30 PM »
Fantastic Jan! No chance for combining your better FDE's with Shockwave lights? ..since they are a inherent part for many users that (sadly) will not be able to use your FDE's.

Hi Philippe,

I was able to get the shockwave lights working, I just didn't replace the [lights] section of the FDE. :)

Offline Mike...

• Command Captain
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 03:40:39 PM »
Jan, many thanks for all your efforts. I was one of those people who preferred a little more runway use after touchdown and it sounds like the new files you're working on offer a better/perfect compromise. I also like the sound of "correct empty weights". I have a couple of airports now with 6500ft runways, but the empty weight of some AI models, oh my..

;)
Mike..

Offline EDDK

• Command Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 03:48:14 PM »
I was able to get the shockwave lights working, I just didn't replace the [lights] section of the FDE. :)

oh thanks Ben, I will try this, too. Thanks for your message!
Regards, Philippe

Offline Jan Martin

• Turbine Captain
  • FS Addon Designer
    • Jan's Websites
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 05:53:16 PM »
Hi EDDK :)

You would need a calculator to implement Shockwave or whatever lights to my FDE sets. Relevant are the lights position and sometimes the 'reference_datum_position'. With the v5acofadv FDE's I'll improve the lights positions and types, too; studying images and aircraft technical drawings especially therefore.

Regards Jan

Offline BruceN

• Command Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 12:38:31 AM »
As Ben says, using the existing [lights] section works for setting up the Shockwave lights. However, the smoke effects are much harder because as you say, the datum_position needs to be known, or lots of trial and error positioning.

What would be great is if a commented section was included with the new lights and smoke effect positions. Then the user could easily deactivate the original light section and activate the new lights and smoke section by changing the // comment markers. Would this be too much work to implement?

Maximilian

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2009, 07:10:06 AM »
I never had time to try these updated FDEs..  ::ashamed::

But I guess that I'll have to give them a try!

Thanks Jan!  ::party::