Author Topic: you better do not start like this  (Read 939 times)

Offline asymetric_walk

• Turbine 2nd Officer
Re: you better do not start like this
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 01:33:57 PM »
Gotta love the slow motion "Hoooooooooooooolyyyyyyyy Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap"  :yeah: :D

Offline Capa

• Turbine Captain
  • Semper JBAI
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 01:35:31 PM »
He did recover from the fear of death quite quickly to keep filming the crash, gotte give him that :D
If the helpdesk thinks your question is stupid, we will set you on fire.

Offline B737-8K5

• Turbine 1st Officer
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 01:42:41 PM »
Wow!! That was close!!

But was it really the wind?? To me it seems that the pilot input too much elevator right from the beginning of the takeoff, resulting in high angle of attack between the floats and the water surface, that gave the plane a higher hydrodynamical drag. This together with a little overweight and short takeoff-area -->  :oops:

btw. a question from a non-native speaker: what's the correct past tense; "input" or "inputed"?? i've seen both but "inputed" sounds strange to my ears  ::confused::
Best Regards

Offline vc-10

• Command Captain
  • Fly Embraer Jets!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 02:26:28 PM »
John input the wrong data yesterday
Not
John inputed the wrong data yesterday
In fact, inputed gets a wiggly red line under it

I'm very impressed with the guts of the camera guy, to continue filming it! (but why did he not move out of the way when it started aiming at him?)

Offline Target

• Command Captain
  • Checks AIG too often
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 02:43:25 PM »
If you want Felix I can ask the guy.. he's one of my fellow student colleagues at Embry-Riddle. Called me on that day and was like, "Hey you know what, I got almost run over by a Beaver." I thought how can he get run over by a Beaver (animal).. He also pointed out that in the video you see a small dust cloud in the grass, where the left wing hit the ground, like 3m (10ft) away from him.

Best regards,

Phil
Der Pessimist sieht nur ein Tunnel,
der Optimist sieht ein Tunnel und das Licht am Ende
und der Realist, der sieht den Tunnel, das Licht und den kommenden Zug

Offline Burrito

• Senior Captain
  • "Senior" Captain?! I feel old.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 09:07:41 PM »
Pilot must've worked for Boston airport security.  Saw a photographer and tweaked...

In all seriousness - Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooly    [pause] craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.  (p.)

Offline M-Sauce

• Command Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 07:59:10 AM »
Classic overlaoad, plane was probably well above max GW or the engine was just not producing enough power for whatever reason. The guy tried to yank it off the ground, which he did, but the plane just wasn't ready to fly out of ground effect.

I've been to ANC many times and love watching planes TO in Lake Hood, great place to get a burger there. And that camera guy has balls, I would have started moving waaaaaayyyy earlier than he did.

Being that it is summer, lots of fishing charters and hunting trips, my money is on the pilot trying to haul too much weight. Hopefully no one got seriously hurt.

::cheers::
ROG Rampage V Edition 10, Intel Core i7-6850K 4.6GHz (OC & Watercooled)
Corsair VLPX DDR4-3200 64GB , Samsung M2 960 PRO 2TB, SanDisk 1TBx2 (RAID 0)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC (2xSLI & Watercooled), Asus ROG PG348Q, TM HOTAS Warthog
Caselabs Merlin SM8, Corsair AX1500i, Win 10 Pro 64Bit, P3D Version 4

Offline FMCS

• AIG Honored Members
  • Command Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 12:26:31 PM »
Or he tried to takeoff with a cross or even worse a tail wind! I had an experience a couple of years ago at a small lake close to my house where there are a couple of float planes and this guy tried to take off with a bad cross/tail wind (he had to make a curved acceleration much like the one in this video) and instead ended up in the trees! Luckily neither him nor his wife and kids were injured..

Frank

Offline NelsAnderson

• Prop 1st Officer
    • FlightSim.com
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 10:02:09 PM »
What a waste of a nice airplane :-(