Author Topic: World of TUI and Flyglobespan merger  (Read 1112 times)

Offline tkellock

• Prop Captain
World of TUI and Flyglobespan merger
« on: August 09, 2009, 06:59:54 PM »
It has been rumoured amongst colleagues and friends at both Thomson and Flyglobespan, that Thomson (aka, World of TUI) could be merging with scottish airline Flyglobespan. The rumour states that TUI are interested in the Airline and would like to have control of the Scottish routes that Flyglobespan have. Flyglobespan are apart of the Dart Group that connects Jet2 and Channel Express Cargo (now apart of Jet2). This could affect profits made by the Dart Group, which could in some circumstances, have effects on Jet2.

Earlier this year, Thomson merged with First Choice Airways who are linked with canadian airlines leasing company - SkyService. Now that the merger between TOM and FCA is more or less completed, the Airbus Aircraft (A320, A321) will be released to other airlines at the end of this year (hopefully). The aircraft could be going back to SkyService in Canada before being leased out to another operator. Due to the merger, flights from some airports have increased, whereas others have now decreased. Manchester Airport for instance has increased in the number of Thomson flights from Terminal 2, however the Terminal still remains empty throughout several parts of the day.

Flyglobespan, who have just moved offices to near Manchester Airport, are moving hubs to Manchester as from October, according to their director. This would be useful for Thomson who make regular flights from Manchester. Thomson also had an agreement with Monarch Airlines UK to use their hangar for Airbus checks at Manchester Airport, but due to the loss of Airbus' around the Winter period of this year, Thomson may no longer be able to use the hangar.

It looks as though the merger could go thorugh at the end of this year, roughly a year on from the First Choice/Thomson merger. Thomson Airways, with a fleet consisting of primarily Boeing (with the exception of the temporary Airbus'), could use the Boeing 737-800, Boeing 757-200 and Boeing 767-300 aircraft that Flyglobespan own to increase their fleet and routes to more destinations could be become available.

Despite Thomson being an all boeing fleet, Corsairfly contains Airbus A330's in their fleet and i am not sure whether Jetair use Airbus A320's as well. This could mean that the current First Choice Airways A320's (5) and A321's (2) could be going to either one of these carriers.

I will share some more light on this when i hear more information.
Thanks,
Tom

Offline A300F70

• Turbine 1st Officer
  • //Daniel
Re: World of TUI and Flyglobespan merger
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 07:03:10 PM »
But is Corsairfly intrested in medium haul planes?

Offline rob hirst

• Turbine Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 10:14:37 AM »
Flyglobespan is nothing to do with the Dart Group or Jet 2 Channel Express  :oops:. It is Privately owned having been set up by Tom Dalrymple:

http://www.flyglobespan.co.uk/publicrelations.asp

I suggest this rumour is a bit far off the mark, to be filled with the never ending B767 to Jet2 rumour that's done the rounds for years!

Rob

Offline tkellock

• Prop Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 10:55:41 AM »
Actually i wouldn't put this on me, as i heard this rumour from many other people. Therefore, i am not to be held responsible for this rumour. Also, about the Dart Group: I though that they still were apart of it?? Obviously not.

Corsairfly was a suggestion not a fact; perhaps if you read the article you would understand.
Thanks,
Tom

Offline atco

• AIG Dispatch Painter
  • Command Captain
  • Notepad Ninja
    • ATCO Repaints
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 12:20:28 PM »
You've got a really arrogant tone about you haven't you.

Flyglobespan were NEVER a part of the Dart Group.
They initially used Channel Express aircraft and crews on an ACMI basis - They were not a part of it.

Perhaps if you stopped talking crap you would understand.
Vectors to nowhere, around nobody for no reason

Offline Hornets Nest

• Command Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 12:31:39 PM »
To be entirely fair to Rob, I think you should also notice that he said that "this rumour is a bit far off the mark".

Rob did not suggest you were personally responsible for the rumour...
Best regards

Matthew

Offline scandic

• Senior Captain
  • AIG Dispatch
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 12:32:32 PM »
Garry, please calm down. Nobody want to visit you in hospital after a heart attack.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:24:01 PM by scandic »
Best regards from Rostock, Germany (ETNL)
Mario

Offline csturdiv

• Aviation nerd and half-assed aviation photographer
  • AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
  • Part time Aussie flightplanner
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 12:41:52 PM »
George, please calm down. Nobody want to visit you in hospital after a heart attack.

<in a horrible hippie burn-out voice> George is not hear man!

George hasn't posted in this thread yet.  ;)
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Offline EDDK

• Command Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 12:47:58 PM »
George? long time no see, hope he is ok. But that goes far OT now..
Regards, Philippe

Offline rob hirst

• Turbine Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 02:14:07 PM »
To be entirely fair to Rob, I think you should also notice that he said that "this rumour is a bit far off the mark".

Rob did not suggest you were personally responsible for the rumour..

Thanks  readytogo

Offline tkellock

• Prop Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 01:24:26 PM »
er..hello i am agreeing with you here. I ain't being arrogant, simply supportive. But perhaps you cannot understand that.
I posted something that may be a rumour, but could actually happen by the end of the year. I know people who work for Flyglobespan and trust me - they are all fearing the worst!

As for the Dart Group thing i said this
Also, about the Dart Group: I though that they still were apart of it?? Obviously not.

See, i am agreeing with you here.
Thanks,
Tom

Offline Andy

• Super K!
  • AIG Ops
  • Command Captain
  • Bear with a Sore Head
    • Flickr Photos by ME. :)
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 05:35:04 PM »
Can I smell venom flying? :P
Live life for the accomplishments, not for the compliments.

My photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/Sud-Est/

Offline tkellock

• Prop Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 08:07:33 PM »
you shouldn't be able to. Look, i don't know what is with you guys, but if you actually met me in real life you would see that i speak my mind, i am honest and i am generally a nice person.

I just said that i agree with you didn't i?
Thanks,
Tom

Offline Andy

• Super K!
  • AIG Ops
  • Command Captain
  • Bear with a Sore Head
    • Flickr Photos by ME. :)
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 08:10:06 PM »
If I met you in real life I'd kick your head in.
Live life for the accomplishments, not for the compliments.

My photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/Sud-Est/

Offline philbean

• Turbine 1st Officer
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 03:05:05 PM »
This is another tkellock special aka the BA A318 thread  :yeah:

1. I work for TUi (Head Office). Neither I or anyone I know has heard any rumours of a Globespan merger (or takeover.. as it would be)
2. FCA leased aircraft to Skyservice over the winter as did MyTravel and TCX. That is the only "link" there.
3. Globespan is nothing to do with Jet2 or Dart
4. Globespans head office is in Edinburgh where it always has been (mate works there).

Apart from that.. accurate as ever.  :heehee: