Author Topic: Porter Airlines DH8D in Chicago today  (Read 985 times)

Offline csturdiv

• Aviation nerd and half-assed aviation photographer
  • AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
  • Part time Aussie flightplanner
Porter Airlines DH8D in Chicago today
« on: March 24, 2008, 10:54:39 PM »
Earlier today a Porter Airlines DH8D was in Chicago Executive (used to be called Palwaukee).  Saw this mentioned in Airliners.net and looked it up on Flightaware.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/POE8324

Wonder what this could be?  Somebody on A.net said it could be a demo, but a demo for what?  Service into PWK?  A corporate customer for the DH8D (KPWK is a large and active GA airport with a ton of corporate bizjets)?   

Just my luck, why couldn't this have happened over the weekend or when it was warmer?  I just got some old 35mm camera and lenses from my dad when he upgraded to a digital SLR and I was thinking about learning how to use that camera by taking pictures at KPWK.  I like KPWK, I work about 4 miles from it and am underneath the pattern for landings and get to see a nice variety of bizjets.  Plus that was where I took my flying lessons before I bought my house.  My first lesson, we were number 2 for departure behind a P51...now that was an awesome sight to see, hear and even feel as it rocketed down the runway.
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Offline atco

• AIG Dispatch Painter
  • Command Captain
  • Notepad Ninja
    • ATCO Repaints
Re: Porter Airlines DH8D in Chicago today
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:59:05 AM »
Porter are just about to launch services to the USA and Chicago is a perfect destination from YTZ.

I would think it is probable that the company was doing some kind of route testing flight before launching it as a scheduled service.
Vectors to nowhere, around nobody for no reason

Offline csturdiv

• Aviation nerd and half-assed aviation photographer
  • AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
  • Part time Aussie flightplanner
Re: Porter Airlines DH8D in Chicago today
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 12:25:25 AM »
I emailed Chicago Executive airport asking if they allowed spotting and photography around the airport and also asked about the aircraft.  I was surprised that they responded and gave me some suggestions on where to go for good views and they also kind of answered my question about the DH8D.  He said it was there for a demo.  Maybe UA drove up to get a view of it for a regional carrier?
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?