Author Topic: Possible resource for repainters?  (Read 348 times)

Offline DanielDafoe

• Turbine Captain
Possible resource for repainters?
« on: December 02, 2009, 10:09:29 AM »
Found an interesting photostream on Flickr while I was looking for Air One Nine briefly.

Guy seems to work for Air Atlanta (since his "ride" is TF-ELK) and he gets into some interesting corners of the aviation world and takes big pictures of what he sees.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/superspotter

Its nice sometimes just for a browse through, to create ideas. If I only had the time . oh, and the skills.

Also saw from the same photostream the rumor that KLM are interested in a DC-8!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/superspotter/4069057336/

I'd say that this photographer is a goldmine for people like Billy R and Frank who focus on these smoky birds?!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:19:46 AM by Daniel Dafoe »
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, war is the terrorism of the rich" - Sir Peter Ustinov.

Offline AirbusManiac

• Senior Captain
Re: Possible resource for repainters?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 01:52:15 PM »
Let's leave it a rumour. Why should a well-known airline like KLM buy/restore such an old rusty peace of metal? Even as a cargo freighter? No way!
Those old DC-8 are load, fuel-INeffecient, expensive to maintain etc etc.. any more arguments needed?   ::goofy::

Take a look at the picture. The engines are already dismantled from the wings. How about the interior? Electric? Hydraulic? I'd be surprised if anything mentioned is still alive in that wreck.

However.. I consider this rumour a "retro joke". Let's have a laugh on it, I wonder how that DC-8 would look in the new KLM c/s  ;D

Offline FrancoisM

• Turbine Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 02:04:45 PM »
Besides being a very friendly man, Clive knows pretty well what he's talking about.
I think you missed the key word "restoration" . It doesn't mean restore and fly again. It means restore, put an old livery on it and display the bird at some air museum.  8)

F.

Offline DanielDafoe

• Turbine Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 03:54:24 PM »
put an old livery on it and display the bird at some air museum.

Exactly, Aviodrome, right next to a big blue 747, but this time with the old striped tail ..

I decided to bookmark the photostream, its great to see all that exotic stuff out there looking so "real"!  :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, war is the terrorism of the rich" - Sir Peter Ustinov.

Offline FMCS

• AIG Honored Members
  • Command Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 01:57:19 AM »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/superspotter
I'd say that this photographer is a goldmine for people like Billy R and Frank who focus on these smoky birds?!

Is it that obvious!  ;D ...Some very nice photos there, thanks for sharing Daniel!  ;)

Frank