Author Topic: ***PLEASE READ*** ***HELP NEEDED***  (Read 5414 times)

Offline Ben

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
  • AIG Ops | Flightplanner | Private Pilot
Re: ***PLEASE READ*** ***HELP NEEDED***
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2009, 05:33:02 PM »
Hey guys,

Firstly, let me apologize about the website outage - I was away over the weekend and didn't get home until late last night. I think the webhost company knew I was away and decided to pull the plug then just for fun!  :-X

Secondly, many thanks to those who have kindly donated. I was shocked (in a very good way) at the generocity of our members, and if nothing else it shows that this is a really great community. We have resisted asking for donations up until now, as our webhosting costs were relatively easily absorbed by the team.

However, as the number of visitors has increased, so has both our bandwidth and resource usage on the shared server. Some people get the 2 confused so let me (try) to explain:

Bandwidth Usage - downloading files, attachments, pictures, and generally any transferring of data. We are not even close to our limits for this. :)
CPU Usage - this is where we've been having problems. Our forums and website are database-driven, so whenever you click on something, it sends a request to the database to fetch the information and then displays the result. Each time this is done, it consumes CPU resources. With the increasing number of visitors to our website, this CPU usage has increased quite a lot, thus triggering the warnings from our hosting company. We now have migrated over to a dedicated server with increased resources for us to use. Hopefully we will not go over our CPU usage allowance, but we will monitor this and take (hopefully more proactive) action to avoid any problems in the future.

Once again, on behalf of myself and the rest of the team, many thanks for your kind donations.  ::cheers::

Offline Dario

• Prop Captain
    • Pattaya Pools
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 10:11:12 AM »
Hi there,

I just joined here, although I'm already since fs2000 alng the way and specially interested in AI...
You're talking about hosting cost of hundreds or thousands of dollars ??? I have 2 website hosted by Italy's largest hosting company with unlimited storage, (I have over 1400 pages on one of my sites) and I pay including MySQL roughly 40 Euros per year. Or am I missing something? If you would like to know my hosting company, please feel free to contact me anytime.
My old friend (2010): Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | MoBo: Gigabyte X58AUD7 | CPU: Intel i7 950 3.06 @ 3.20 GHz | GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB | RAM: Kingston DDR3 Hyper X 2000 x 6 (12GB) | PSU:Antec 850 W TruePower Quattro | Storage: SSD Transcend 370S 512GB + Externals | Windows 10

Offline Andy

• Super K!
  • Administrator
  • Command Captain
  • Bear with a Sore Head
    • Flickr Photos by ME. :)
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 12:56:39 PM »
Because of the amount of traffic we pull in - we have to have our own dedicated webserver. That's why its costing so much to renew.
Live life for the accomplishments, not for the compliments.

My photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/Sud-Est/