Author Topic: Airliners.NET-the TMZ of the airline industry  (Read 719 times)

Offline Northeastern292

• Turbine 1st Officer
    • Twitter
Airliners.NET-the TMZ of the airline industry
« on: January 17, 2010, 05:32:02 PM »
Is Airways.NET in some ways like a rumor mill? I go there for news, and all I come out with is the feeling that the airline industry's doomsday is approaching.  :reaction:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4678628/ is this morning's discussion.  ::sick::

And I still find that TMZ is annoying. Apologies for the drama, but I was at one point going to get an A-net forum subscription.
Sasha
KSWF/KMSV/KJFK/KLGA
FSX

Offline mackintosh

• Turbine 2nd Officer
Re: Airliners.NET-the TMZ of the airline industry
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 08:40:45 PM »
Pretty much. I've stopped reading the discussions there months, if not years ago (so easy to lose track..). The forums are now mostly populated by rumor mongers and a much younger audience than they used to be - and it shows. Not to mention the armchair CEOs, who all know how to run an airline better than whoever happens to be running it  ::rolleyes:
Cheers,
Mack

Core i7 950@ 4Ghz
6Gb RAM
2 x GTX 570
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (system drive)
2 x WD Caviar Black 1Tb (RAID 0)

Offline comicpilot

• Turbine Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 10:31:59 PM »
Not too mention the continuous stream of ignorance...  Talks of Southwest maybe getting A380's has been dicussed numerous times.  The dicussions of "i have a friend who has a friend who has a friend who knew a guy who said.." also get a bit annoying.  The airline, well aviation industry as a whole is always evolving,always adapting and changing-trusting your sources to a 13 year old kid flying his FSX cessna everday after he gets home from algebra isn't always the most reliable news source in the industry.

Luckily there are a few regulars on there who know the industry good and provide some good information however.

Andrew

Offline Big777jet

• Command Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 10:39:12 PM »
Airliners.net some of the members are very bad attitude and not respectfully to the deaf. I'm deaf. I don't have perfect grammars English. ANet mods are making fun of me and trying to banned me for no reasonable. I told them I'm deaf and leave me alone. They don't and banned me for nothing.  I let them go for thier own good.  The ANet some members are very immature.   ::ashamed::  ::rolleyes: 

Stuart

Offline comicpilot

• Turbine Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 02:40:44 AM »
Stuart,

You are deaf and they flamed you??  No doubt classless and ignorant on their part..   Eh your better off..  I get on from time to time- but I have never purchased an account..  Paying $75 or whatever it is to argue with people on that forum not worth it.  Working for Boeing and being well traveled in the aviation industry I feel that some fights are just not worth it and walking away is the best option..  besides, here at the ALPHA INDIA forum it's free- and besides everyone on this board is friendly and helpful!

Andrew

Offline Big777jet

• Command Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 03:18:33 AM »
Andrew,

Long time ago, ANet was free members that time I was there. About 4 or 3 years ago it was started pay fee member.  I would never pay any of forum site ever again! I never had before pay fee. 

Stuart

Offline relfel66

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 05:08:51 AM »
Some of the arguments are pretty comical, but the only really good thing is the photos
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4ghz
ASUS RX480 4GB
Asus Z97A
16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB, Samsung 840 Evo 250GB, Seagate ST240HM 240GB
WD 2TB Red, WD 2TB Green
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
Corsair Graphite 600T, EVGA 600W
ASUS VP247H-P 23.6" 1ms

Offline Mosha

• AIG Honored Members
  • Command Captain
  • AIG Dispatch La-Un, Ranong, Thailand.
    • Alpha India Group
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 05:33:56 AM »
..and that's not as good as it was after last years farce.
Regards, Steve

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline DanielDafoe

• Turbine Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 06:03:51 PM »
Several photographers seem to be favoring other sites now, or at least hedging their bets. The moves to claim rights over the images was too much for many people to accept. The web's bad enough for misappropriations of material as it is, without the sites themselves getting into that idea.

But I think the armchair CEO-ing is funny. In fact reading all that stuff that's so damned earnest but so damned ludicrous is entertaining sometimes. After a while it gets about as entertaining as a train wreck, but for a while it is good for a laugh. The fact that pepole are paying to go on there is just the icing on the cake, humor-wise.

Not being deaf, I can't figure what it might be about someone's typing that gives the game away, or how deafness can create a problem in a silent medium? Stuart (or Sebi), can you enlighten me? PM if you prefer to, I'm just curious and would like to understand. Is it a learning thing?
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, war is the terrorism of the rich" - Sir Peter Ustinov.

Offline Capa

• Turbine Captain
  • Semper JBAI
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 06:18:53 PM »
Well, went to look at those forums, and saw the following topic:
Could AA Drop Coke And Go Pepsi Exclusive?
(http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4677143/)

Yeah, that decision is life saving for airlines, and has a global impact on aviation as a whole. That has 61 replies as of now. As if there wasn't enough crap on the net allready. Djeez..
If the helpdesk thinks your question is stupid, we will set you on fire.

Offline FCRO

• Turbine 1st Officer
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 09:03:58 PM »
I also do not like the airiliners.net's foruns, all kind of stupidity can be found there, from someone who thinks that knows everytinh about airliners  to people who does not know who to respect another.

Offline rke

• Command Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 09:38:50 PM »
These days, I mostly use the General Aviation forum as a relatively quick update in cases there's been a major airplane incident, since most of the interesting bits are out in the other forums. Thank goodness for grandfathered accounts ;)

Offline Big777jet

• Command Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 12:10:46 AM »
I also do not like the airiliners.net's foruns, all kind of stupidity can be found there, from someone who thinks that knows everytinh about airliners  to people who does not know who to respect another.

I agreed same here. I'm with you.   ::cheers::

Stuart

Offline Skeptic_All

• Prop Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 08:46:39 PM »
A PROUD banned member of the Airlines.net forum site.   ::jerry::

Couldn't stomach the juvenile antics of some of the more senior members and regardless of my knowledge base, well they weren't going to have +2000 post wonders embarrassed by the likes of me.  Kept editing my posts, removing much of my points and when I called the mods out on it, they told me I was being confrontational and if I didn't like it, I could go somewhere else.  Great attitude - gave 'em one in return by less than artfully telling them they could kiss my left nut.  Uh, duh.....it's a forum site, open for debate and disagreement.  Bunch of pussies over there!

Offline FMCS

• AIG Honored Members
  • Command Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 09:08:22 PM »
That's the problem with many 'site forums'..A few examples (Avsim, Posky and old PAI forums) to name only a few! Besides all the kissing ass that goes on in these places, there is also a complete and utter loss of reason and common sense on behalf of most members. You can't make a simple argument without getting your head ripped off by some one there!

I guess that's why I really don't post anything in these places at all, I'd rather spend my energy on something or somewhere more inviting and friendly!!  :)

::cheers::

Frank