Author Topic: AI Everywhere!!  (Read 630 times)

Offline chrism628

• Prop 1st Officer
AI Everywhere!!
« on: January 24, 2010, 12:48:40 AM »
Hey All,

Perhaps someone could clarify this for me.  I have a bunch of ai flight plans installed, mostly all put together from the wonderful Alpha India Group. The problem is right when ever I go to a busy airport (basically right after the loading process), I get this pile of of AI planes all bunched together in the air around 30,000 feet or so all circling within short distance to land at the airport.  There are even planes that are not even scheduled to land until like 2, 3 hours later also up there with the others; coming in for a landing. Why are all these AI in one batch together in various locations? Any solutions?

Chris
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:50:13 AM by chrism628 »

Offline Hornets Nest

• Command Captain
Re: AI Everywhere!!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 01:03:24 AM »
Any solutions?

Don't look ?  ;)

Seriously, it sounds like the good old FS AI engine settling down and you are liable to see things like this for up to about 15 minutes after loading an airport..  It's not a fault of the flightplans or anything other than the way the AI engine works.  There are solutions such as AI Smooth to the general bunching and flocking of AI but those are to cope with the period after this initial impact of loading and, to the best of my knowledge, do not overcome this.

If you have flightplans using the contentious @ sign universally, there is a lot to be said for using it and for not using it -about which concept there is another thread here http://www.alpha-india.net/forums/index.php?topic=7408.0 or varying the speeds - don't have all the speeds set to 200 but vary them from aircraft type to aircraft type within 200 range.  This will reduce but not eliminate flocking..
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 01:42:46 PM by Hornets Nest »
Best regards

Matthew

Offline HankyPanky

• Command Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 01:27:20 AM »
Just my 2ct, but Chris (welcome here  ;) ) looks to be new to AI  :)

Take it as it is, we all need to live with several rules and let's say "events" like the ones you observed.

FS9 and also FSX weren't build to reflect this amount of traffic. Jim and Reggie and a few others figured out the limitations of max movements that FS can handle smoothless.

Depending on the traffic you have installed, it may take 15 min or 30 min or more to have the Ai traffic normalized. No fixed rule as it also depends on the AFD you're using (traffic flow as keyword).

Dealing with AI in FS9 and FSX means douse into a very complex of themes and rules. But it's very interesting  :)
Always happy landings
Dieter/EDDM

Some are straightforward, and others are tied to mother's apron strings.. I like the straightforward ones and am in with good terms.

Nunc est bibendum ..

Offline scandic

• Senior Captain
  • AIG Dispatch
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 01:05:20 PM »
To add a short and maybe helpful remark in addition to Dieter and Matthew: try out 'AI seperation' and 'AI Smooth', those programms also helps to avoid traffic clouds when you start the simulator
Best regards from Rostock, Germany (ETNL)
Mario

Offline HankyPanky

• Command Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 01:26:17 PM »
Both tools have a disadvantage: They only control approaching traffic. If your AFD isn't designed with this in mind, the result will be a landing separation, but your ground traffic will collapse (no runway crossings for taxiing AC, departure queues, busting AC and so on.
Always happy landings
Dieter/EDDM

Some are straightforward, and others are tied to mother's apron strings.. I like the straightforward ones and am in with good terms.

Nunc est bibendum ..

Offline chrism628

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 02:46:33 PM »
Great stuff and flocking was the word I was looking for. Right now I am going through the operation of taking out the @ and changing the TTools cruise speed from the "200" to actual cruise speeds to see how that changes things and will post the results.  I have used both AI Separation and AI Smooth at times and indeed both do have their advantages/disadvantages.

Chris

Offline chrism628

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 03:40:49 PM »
For any of you curious of my results, taking out the @ and setting all aircraft accept for turboprops and TFS Airbus/Boeing aircraft to 477 speed in TTools works well as far as incoming arrivals are concerned (did not experience any flocking at peak times). Turboprops were set to 300 and TFS Airbus/Boeing aircraft were set to 494 in TTools. All planes according to the Timetable on ACA2005 came in as scheduled which was great!

Thanks again for all your help,

Chris

Offline Hornets Nest

• Command Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 03:53:17 PM »
That's good to hear, Chris.  I'm glad that solved it for you.  ;)
Best regards

Matthew

Offline scandic

• Senior Captain
  • AIG Dispatch
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 06:22:52 PM »
Both tools have a disadvantage: They only control approaching traffic. If your AFD isn't designed with this in mind, the result will be a landing separation, but your ground traffic will collapse (no runway crossings for taxiing AC, departure queues, busting AC and so on.

Anywhere was a manual, which described how to combine both tools in order to avoid the problems you mentioned. Maybe I will find it again ..
Best regards from Rostock, Germany (ETNL)
Mario