Author Topic: Nick's jetsmoke  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Keith

• Prop 1st Officer
Nick's jetsmoke
« on: March 28, 2008, 05:04:34 PM »
Can't seem to get this to work. If I install the Fx files and modify the configs, I loose about 5fps and see no effect. It's ok at night (I suppose it would be) and reverts to normal if I install a dummy fx file, renamed as the Nick's jetsmoke ones.

Seems to me nothing much can go wrong with this. I've installed the files several times with no improvement and the config files are modified by copying and pasting directly from this site (thanks for all that work by the way).

I guess it must be clashing with something- any ideas? By the way it's fs9, vista, quad core, if any of that is relevent.

Offline EDDK

• Command Captain
Re: Nick's jetsmoke
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 05:45:59 PM »
i have also problems with nick´s jet exhaust because i´m lossing fps at kord and egll! is there a possibility to work with shockwave lights and without nick´s smoke effect?  :-X
Regards, Philippe

Offline Keith

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 08:24:08 PM »
Oddly enough it was at EGLL (Aerosoft) I first tried it. It was also u/s at EGKK but ok at EGPH, the latter both UK2000. That may be due to the aircraft types there.
The lights are very good and certainly work ok without the jetsmoke. I did find if I removed the jetsmoke files the framerate dropped to near zero (the entries still being present in the aircraft config). This was fixed by copying and renaming another fx file (like a runway light or something) to the same name as the jetsmoke ones. I haven't yet noticed any runway lights appearing where they shouldn't! Ofcourse, the correct thing to do would be to remove those entries only from the config files, but I'm hoping someone may have a solution to fix this.

Keith

Offline KampfHase

• AIG Dispatch
  • Command Captain
    • Jetphotos
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 09:15:35 PM »
If you just want to install the lights and no smoke, just delete the lines in you lights settings for the smoke like in this example:

[liGHTS]
light.1 = 1, -19.20, 0.00, -8.17, fx_Shockwave_beacon_rotating_red
light.2 = 1, 16.38, 0.00, 10.45, fx_Shockwave_beacon_rotating_red
light.3 = 3, -16.68,-73.17, 4.20, fx_shockwave_navwhi
light.4 = 3, -16.68, 73.17, 4.20, fx_shockwave_navwhi
light.5 = 3, -7.35,-72.52, 4.27, fx_shockwave_navred
light.6 = 3, -7.35, 72.52, 4.27, fx_shockwave_navgre
light.7 = 2, -16.68,-73.17, 4.20, fx_shockwave_strobe
light.8 = 2, -16.68, 73.17, 4.20, fx_shockwave_strobe
light.9 = 2, -7.55,-72.60, 4.27, fx_shockwave_strobe
light.10 = 2, -7.55, 72.60, 4.27, fx_shockwave_strobe
light.11 = 2, 13.40, -25.90, -7.80, fx_nicksmokeAI_747
light.12 = 2, 13.40, 25.90, -7.80, fx_nicksmokeAI_747
              <-- these are the settings for smoke!
light.13 = 5, 0, -49, -0.5, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_narrow
light.14 = 5, 0, 49, -0.5, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_narrow
light.15 =6, 67, 0.5, -8.00, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_narrow
light.16 =6, 67, -0.5, -8.00, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_narrow
My AFCAD reworks in this thread: click!
Airports by me: KCLT | KMIA | EDDM | KBOS | KMSP | KATL | RJBB | LTAI | LTFJ | LSZH | KEWR | RJTT | WSSS | KPDX | KTEB | KLAS | KLGA | KSFO | KDEN | SKBO | EIDW
Next projects: RCTP

Offline Target

• Command Captain
  • Checks AIG too often
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 10:05:43 PM »
Don't forget to adjust the light.XX numbers.

Best regards,

Phil
Der Pessimist sieht nur ein Tunnel,
der Optimist sieht ein Tunnel und das Licht am Ende
und der Realist, der sieht den Tunnel, das Licht und den kommenden Zug

Offline EDDK

• Command Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 10:33:23 PM »
two hours of work with deleting nick´s jet exhaust! And no effects. frames constantly at 5-9 FPS!  :-\

Regards, Philippe

Offline M-Sauce

• Command Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 03:30:44 AM »
two hours of work with deleting nick´s jet exhaust! And no effects. frames constantly at 5-9 FPS!  :-\

I had the same problem, but you don't need to delete the "smoke" entry from the cfg. What I did is just delete the smoke fx files, this way the shokwave lights work but the smoke does not. That helped to restore my FPS to a desent level.  ;)

Mariano
ROG Rampage V Edition 10, Intel Core i7-6850K 4.6GHz (OC & Watercooled)
Corsair VLPX DDR4-3200 64GB , Samsung M2 960 PRO 2TB, SanDisk 1TBx2 (RAID 0)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC (2xSLI & Watercooled), Asus ROG PG348Q, TM HOTAS Warthog
Caselabs Merlin SM8, Corsair AX1500i, Win 10 Pro 64Bit, P3D Version 4

Offline Keith

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 03:17:58 PM »
At least now I know I'm not the only one! I have found that if you delete the fx files, with the config entries in place you do loose a few fps. If you take the light fxs out as well it brings the whole thing down to less than 1 fps. This is the problem, it would be easy to trouble shoot if you could just remove all the other effects files until you found which one was to blame, but removing any (even good ones) that are required reduces framerate in itself.

EDDK, have you actually got the payware lights fx files installed? Since having those config entries without the associated files would cause your loss.

It makes you realise that all these little stutters you get are probably from years of adding and removing addons, leaving odd redundant files installed here and there and probably missing out the odd fx or texture you actually need. The trouble is I couldn't face starting from scratch.

What I intend to try when I have the time is to use a 'virgin' effects file from another pc, add the lights and smoke fxs, then try it in my main pc using default aircraft and scenery. If it works ok I'll add the other effects until it fails. I'll let you know if I get anywhere.

If that works can anyone tell me where to get the 727 smoke fx required for the russian ai?

Offline EDDK

• Command Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 04:55:26 PM »
EDDK, have you actually got the payware lights fx files installed? Since having those config entries without the associated files would cause your loss.

yes i've got the payware (shockwave-) lights and the config entries by AIG! And i deleted the fx_nicksmove effects in my fs9/effects folder and changed the numbers in the lights section of my aircraft.cfg´s

and you mean, that when i delete these shockwave lights in my aircraft.cfg the frames would go down to one FPS?  :(
do i hvae to delete the whole shockwave programm, when i want to have higher frames?
Regards, Philippe

Offline Keith

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 05:49:02 PM »
Hi EDDK, No I just meant that if you have the aircraft config entries, without the fx files in the effects folder there would be a problem.

Anyway I've just installed a completely new effects folder, added the lights and smoke effects only. I used default aircraft/ default scenery. The problem still persists. If it is incompatable with something else then it doesn't seem to be another effects program. That being the case I can't be bothered to look further. Rather than delete those config entries I just copied an apron light fx file, renamed them to match the the nicks smoke file names and it has resolved to framerate issue.