Author Topic: London City STOL landings  (Read 1233 times)

Offline DanielDafoe

• Turbine Captain
Re: London City STOL landings
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 07:30:32 PM »
::surprise::  Mind you, I suppose anybody who can include "Tahiti (doing NO work)" as part of a "tight schedule for me" has to have a slightly odd view of life..  ;D

When your life is packed with work, you end up packing in the fun too. Its a window I've had to create otherwise I'd probably go crazy. I know I volunteered for all this stuff and I'm a "quick learn" but even so it still takes a lot of time. If you just create an empty space in a schedule then work and other stray thoughts will creep into it by osmosis. Nature abhors a vacation - to corrupt a phrase. Same with December, and a trip to the Caribbean (direct from the UK assuming BA is still operating by then!), if you never make the time you certainly won't be handed the opportunities by fate. Well, okay, that's my jaded 20-something view. 8)

I hope to have some good images of some rare real-world airplanes to show in August when I get back, if I can find someone to host them (not that I'll be hanging around airports). We're also flying from Faaa to a remote atoll called Hao (presume an ATR, so first time on one of those for me), but I expect only birds will be there apart from us tourists. Bora Bora might be different though, 2nd week is largely there. Fortunately the folks are paying.  :P

Do you know what we need models of most of all ?  Airstairs..  Both for FSX and for FS9 - preferably 2 or 3 varieties.  The upside for a modeller is that those will not just appear at one airport, as a terminal would, but at many, many airports - in the same way as many of currently use Jim Dhaehens lights, radars and hangars.  If you can model some airstairs - could be good practice for bigger things - that would be really great..  ;)

I can make airstairs. Maybe I could start by asking the Richards if Matthew Ministry would donate the ones he made for Abu Dhabi? I thought those weren't bad. I can ask, assuming you thought they were okay. I'm gonna mention the new AW-139 helicopter model to them soonest, so I'll slip that request in.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, war is the terrorism of the rich" - Sir Peter Ustinov.

Offline Hornets Nest

• Command Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 10:30:37 PM »
I can make airstairs. Maybe I could start by asking the Richards if Matthew Ministry would donate the ones he made for Abu Dhabi? I thought those weren't bad. I can ask, assuming you thought they were okay. I'm gonna mention the new AW-139 helicopter model to them soonest, so I'll slip that request in

Good thought.  I haven't looked at the airport for a while, but will do so.  Airstairs really are a major gap in scenery elements - never have understood why MS left them out of both FS9 and FSX but - especially in FSX - gave us endless other airport basics to use.
Best regards

Matthew

Offline A34677

• Prop 1st Officer
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 05:27:20 AM »
Lots of discussion going on here! Thanks Matthew and Daniel for your responses, I appreciate it given your real-life commitments. The Tahiti trip sounds fascinating - and yes, a break is a necessity when you've got an intense schedule (and especially if you're doing multiple degrees).

Offline DanielDafoe

• Turbine Captain
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 05:46:26 PM »
I get an e back from one of the Richards saying that he'd passed on the request to MM. Apparently its pretty likely he'd be okay with that. He had considered packaging the things together in a BGL library and releasing it with the objects he created, but isn't sure about how people would go about repainting things like airstairs on an airport-by-airport basis. It might also be that the textures for each set of stairs are spread across several bitmaps (haven't checked, but knowing fate they will be). That is less than ideal because it makes the distribution package larger, so there'd possibly be some rework to do to get the several variations of airstairs (covered and open, raised and lowered) into something that works generically. Since he classed the airstairs as vehicles (which they are) and vehicle textures are fitted into whatever space they can, its possible also that he'd release all the vehicles and let people repaint them (coaches, tugs, baggage carts, power trucks and even the pallet haulers). So the news is hopeful, but the downside is the time it might take (weeks at least, maybe even a few months). Apparently there are people out there way busier than I am. Doesn't feel like it!

One hilarious detail I was told was that MM modelled the luggage in some baggage carts separately, then placed this pile of cases in selected carts with a different visibility distance. If you are close enough you see the bags, if you move away some distance, they vanish before the cart does. I though that was maybe a bit obsessive! I was told that made for some hilarity sometimes when a filled baggage cart was moved elsewhere and the bags weren't moved with it.

@A34677 - its more fascinating because there's a total solar eclipse there at the time we go, which is why the family has wormed our way onto a charter flight to Hao. Seems crazy to go all that way at the right time - by coincidence btw - and then not quite be on the right island. I'm told it will be spectacular. MM is also travelling out to see it, but I don't know where he'd see it from.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, war is the terrorism of the rich" - Sir Peter Ustinov.