Author Topic: FS installation on win 7 64 system  (Read 552 times)

Offline asymetric_walk

• Turbine 2nd Officer
FS installation on win 7 64 system
« on: November 26, 2010, 09:50:16 AM »
Hi guys

I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but its a tricky one to search for.

After a lay off, i've upgraded my rig and want to get simming again. I've partitioned a drive with win 7 64 and FSX on the main partition, and FS9 only on the other partition.

Before i go installing all my addons, is there anything special i shouldn't be doing, ie. installation destinations and that kind of thing? i've heard of problems with other programs if installed in the program files (x86) folder.

Any comments / suggestions welcome

J

Offline bolli

• Turbine 1st Officer
    • Tinworkx
Re: FS installation on win 7 64 system
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 09:55:45 AM »
Not reallly, but you should be aware of the bug with the scenery library

Offline regan123

• Command Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 10:00:16 AM »
Before i go installing all my addons, is there anything special i shouldn't be doing, ie. installation destinations and that kind of thing?

Best thing to do is to not install FS to the C: drive (or whatever drive letter Win7 goes on).  Although you can apparently switch off UAC, it still seems to put the brakes on any changes you might want to make to FS .cfg files.

Offline bolli

• Turbine 1st Officer
    • Tinworkx
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 10:50:20 AM »
Best thing to do is to not install FS to the C: drive (or whatever drive letter Win7 goes on).  Although you can apparently switch off UAC, it still seems to put the brakes on any changes you might want to make to FS .cfg files.

I've never had that problem, apart from when the uac was on.
when it was on, i simply put a fsx.cfg entry to another drive.

Offline asymetric_walk

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 11:41:17 AM »
Not reallly, but you should be aware of the bug with the scenery library

What bug would that be  ???

So if FSX is installed under c:\FSX and the UAC is off, it should be fine?

Offline bolli

• Turbine 1st Officer
    • Tinworkx
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 12:02:19 PM »

Offline asymetric_walk

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 12:09:52 PM »
Thanks  8)

Offline asymetric_walk

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 12:19:41 PM »
What is the weapon of choice at the moment for decompiling and editing fpls? is TTools still being used or is it obsolete on new OS's? and if you were going to rebuild your AI library would you leave the @'s out or in?

With an installation like mine, should you add all your AI aircraft in your FS9/aircraft directory then add that path to the FSX.cfg file so you dont have to manage 2 AI library's?

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 12:39:18 PM »
AIFPv2 is the right choice now. You can use MRAI files there, but there is a few things it's missing. Instead use a file called AIFP.cfg.

I have attached a very, very, very basic one. Change the different parameters and put it into the MRAI-file. Then the program should be able to find older flightplans and remove them from your scenery/world/scenery. You can also convert the FS9-flightplans to FSX using AIFPv2.

There is a kind of tutorial in the AIG Support forum: http://www.alpha-india.net/forums/index.php?topic=9653.0
Regards

Johan Clausen

Offline ReggieF

• Turbine 1st Officer
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 02:29:53 PM »
Windows Vista and Windows 7 use a different security model than previous versions of the OS.

The basic point is that programs do not run with the user rights. While you may be the administrator of the computer, any program you run - should it be Notepad to edit aircraft.cfg files, or an installer to modify an AI installation - that program runs with the most restrictive rights.

Normally this is the "Users" Group. One thing the Users Group cannot do is modify any files in the \Program Files, or \Program Files (x86) or \Windows folders. Making changes to files in those folders is how the vast majority of viruses and malware programs succeed in damaging computers. (The Mac series of computers have had the restrictions on modification of the OS files and program files from the start - 1992 in my experience - even though they use a separate file structure)

Unfortunately, Microsoft Flight Simulator (FS2002, FS2004, FSX - that I've used on Win7 & Vista) does not understand this new security system. FS includes user customizable files which belong outside the \Program Files folder. Files like aircraft.cfg. They should be located in \ProgramData\Microsoft\FS9 etc.

That would require a major redesign of FS to place the aircraft folder, gauges folders, scenery folders under \ProgramData and the operational parts of the program under \Program Files.

There are a couple ways to either avoid the new security system, or use it effectively.

1) Turn off UAC - I never recommend this. By doing so, you eliminate any protection against any virus or malware program from changing your Windows system files, hijacking your computer. No matter how good your anti-virus and your anti-malware which should run anytime your computer is physically attached to the internet - you are vulnerable to some types of attacks. Especially IP scanning attacks which can occur even while you are away from your computer - if there is a physical internet connection.

2) Install FS outside \Program Files - This is my preferred alternative. When the install screen comes up with the path for the install - point it to a different folder. Do not let FS create a \Program Files folder on another drive. That folder will also be protected by the OS.

3) Change the rights to the FS folder - If you are logged on as an administrator - you can change the rights to the entire folder, all files and all sub-folders holding FS. Right Click on the folder holding the FS8.exe, FS9.exe or FSX.exe. Select Properties, go to the Security Tab, select Edit - look at the groups listed. Set each group to Full Control, click Apply. When it is done - the Users group will have the ability to modify files in that folder. No matter where it is located.

One last thing - set the FSn.exe file properties (right click again for Properties - the Compatabilty tab) to the Windows XP (Service Pack 3) mode and set the Privlege Level to Run the program as an administrator

Offline asymetric_walk

• Turbine 2nd Officer
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 03:43:59 PM »
Thanks Johan & Reggie for your time and suggestions.

@ Reggie, If I go the route of points 2 and 3 then will I be able to keep the UAC on all the time without any problems?

Offline ReggieF

• Turbine 1st Officer
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 01:57:04 PM »
I did that with my company owned Vista laptop and never had any issues back before SP1 for FSX came out. (We were running Vista RC before FSX came out - UAC was enforced by Group Policy). I no longer have that computer since I was 'offered early retirement' two years ago with a few hundred other people.

Currently I have FSX on four computers - two Win7, one Vista and one XP. All my Vista/Win7 computers run UAC, and two of them are setup with FSX in a \MS_Games folder. One is setup in \Program Files (x86). I've set the rights to all the folders as I've recommended in #3 above and never have any issues.

Yes, the UAC "Allow/Cancel" box is annoying - but I only get that about four times a day on my main computer. Only when I start FS2004 or FSX on the others.