Author Topic: Current weather in Northern Europe and FS.  (Read 895 times)

Offline Tom C.

• Command Captain
Current weather in Northern Europe and FS.
« on: December 20, 2010, 09:32:52 PM »
Hi all.

With the current cold snap covering most of Northern Europe, I got to thinking today at work of situations in FS that could turn out similar (ish).

I know if you fly VFR in FS, you can be denied take off or landing clearance if the weather is below minimums.
However, has anyone ever failed to get clearance on an IFR flightplan from the default ATC?

Take EGLL, EDDF or LFPG as the biggest examples.
Has FS ATC ever denied you clearance to make FS the same as real life in that the Airports in question are/were closed for some time?

Here in Ireland, Dublin is now closed, and has been for the last 3+ hours. They are hoping to open again shortly, but I fail to understand how they can with the weather as it is up there now.

Surprisingly, just over 100 miles south, here in Cork we are fine.
Ok, temps are rapidly getting for double minus figures, but we are seeing no snow at all with a slight chance of freezing fog later on.

So then, does FS take into consideration real weather to completely close an Airport like real life?

Thanks for any info or help on this one.
Tom C.

Veni,           Vidi,        Velcro  
I came,      I saw,    I stuck around...

Once upon a time AFCAD developer!

Offline gapeters

• Command Captain
Re: Current weather in Northern Europe and FS.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 12:00:11 AM »
I can't remember ever getting denied a clearance to take off or land based on wx. I've shot approaches to 0/0 weather and always been cleared to land. Same with thunder storms.. Never have I been vectored around a large build up..Greg

Offline ReggieF

• Turbine 1st Officer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 12:44:34 AM »
FS is not designed to provide realistic diversion and airport closures. It allows people to do a lot of things which would be prohibited in the real world.

Like my flying a jet.

Offline johanfrc

• Administrator
  • Command Captain
    • JCAI
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 08:20:14 AM »
LOL, Reggie! A nice last comment. Made my day!

Taking about crasy weather in FS, this one is great:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DgN0nLt8J0
Regards

Johan Clausen

PalmPilot

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 12:25:50 PM »

Touchdown!  ;D
Great video!

Offline Axel H

• Command Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 03:18:57 PM »
Hi,

default ATC is unfortunately not reflecting real world operations. Hopefully the next version of radar contact (v5) will have some "heavy weather" features included, anyway, I don't think that ai traffic would be touched by this ;-)

Anyone knows about FSX? Is the atc a way better? I haven't read so much about this simulator what its atc concerns.

Kind regards,

Axel

Offline ReggieF

• Turbine 1st Officer
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 08:00:58 PM »
We are actually not talking about an ATC function - but about how the flight planning and monitoring process, flight envelope engine, the weather engine and the airport designs interact.

But the hangup is that the flight planning and monitoring is not designed to allow for an alternate to be selected, chosen, the aircraft directed to an alternate airport. A new IFR flight plan needs to be created and accepted. The flight plan process is airport to airport - with no alternate option.

AI use the AIPlayer.dll functionality, not the UI functionality. The AIPlayer.dll is also coded airport to airport. Think how much fun it be to create AI flight plans if we had to include an alternate airport in each AI leg.  ;D

Without a fundamental redesign of the base FS flight plan concepts, alternates cannot be accomplished.

FSX. is the same with no real changes in the core functionality.

One thing you can do in FS2004 and FSX is use the Direct To button on the GPS to change your destination. The ATC interface will not recognize you are going to another airport unless you create a new flight plan. I do wish we could use the ability to take destination code out of the default GPS and have the flight planning/ monitoring engine accept that as a change in the IFR flight plan.

Maybe the new MS Flight has enough of a base level redesign to allow that to be possible.

Offline alexstan

• Senior Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 10:28:58 PM »
Never had my clearance denied. Was cleared to land recently in 100 knot crosswind, 8/8 overcast, near zero visibility.
Would be nice if FS included diversions to alternate airports, say because of weather, FS ATC closes down an airport and diverts all traffic to another one.

Offline Daniel Dafoe

• Prop Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 10:35:31 AM »

Touchdown!  ;D
Great video!

Ha! Loved it!

I did something similar with the winds to simulate a downburst from a thunderstorm. Made stormy weather and then altered the winds in layers, fly down to 400ft with a 70 knot headwind then, between 400ft and 300ft have no wind at all, then, below 300ft have a 50 knot tailwind. Makes the landing quite hilarious!
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, war is the terrorism of the rich" - Sir Peter Ustinov.

"And Boeing jets, in the sunset make glowing threads" - "Atlas Air" - Massive Attack (Heligoland)

Offline Hornets Nest

• Command Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 11:50:55 AM »
Hi Daniel,

Talking of weather, I thought you were going to be back in LA for Christmas but you haven't mentioned it for a while.  You're not caught in the snow in the UK by any chance are you ?  That makes for a lousy Christmas but I suppose gives you a chance to keep up on the studies ?  ;)
Best regards

Matthew

Offline Daniel Dafoe

• Prop Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 01:38:57 PM »
Hi Daniel,

Talking of weather, I thought you were going to be back in LA for Christmas but you haven't mentioned it for a while.  You're not caught in the snow in the UK by any chance are you ?  That makes for a lousy Christmas but I suppose gives you a chance to keep up on the studies ?  ;)

Being home was the original plan, but I had a lot of catching up to do (nearly there now) because a lot was covered in the 2 weeks I was away. It sucks that I can't be there for Christmas, although my family doesn't make a huge deal of it anyway. Flying home from BGI is awkward, no direct flights (I think) and although we have in the past positioned the Cardinal (now the Saratoga) at a more convenient airport for some holidays, the whole family was along this time so that wasn't an option either. I was also getting a bit tired of all the long-haul trips, especially after summer when I had to come back to the UK in mid-holiday and then fly back home again for part II of my break, making LHR-LAX-PPT-HOA-PPT-LAX then LAX-LHR-LAX and finally LAX-LHR, which wasn't exactly wonderful, even spread out over 4 weeks in 3 sets of flights.

Thing I'll miss most in many ways is catching up with old schoolfriends face-to-face. Email, phone and Skype only get you so far.

I was leaving open the option of a quick return despite my reservations about the weather, but in the end I just cancelled and got refunded. I like the people I lodge with, and although their place will be a bit more crowded over Christmas now that I'm staying, I'm okay with it (I'm just living with all my stuff in one room for a week before spreading back out into 2 rooms!). I'm kinda liking the snow a bit more. I thought it'd be real cold with snow around but here its just -1 and pretty bearable even after 2 weeks of 92-degree days and 89-degree nights. I'm walking into Bath tomorrow (13-mile round trip) along snowy lanes, just to get the full effect.

I guess also I was happy to see dad away from his work and relaxing in Barbados. He's more relaxed there and 2 weeks of him in BGI is worth 4 in LAX! It was also nice not to have the plane there, meaning we were forced to enjoy the beaches rather than feeling compelled to island-hop (which involves heaps of customs paperwork in triplicate and eats up entire days with something that can be quite stressful sometimes, with all the tricky approaches). Funnily enough I saw a Saratoga go over Holetown while we were sunning on Paynes Bay and actually thought "glad I'm down here"! I guess its all the work taking its toll, when I get the time to stop for a moment, all I can think of is relaxing. I wonder if this is what it feels like to get old! ;)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:45:46 PM by Daniel Dafoe »
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, war is the terrorism of the rich" - Sir Peter Ustinov.

"And Boeing jets, in the sunset make glowing threads" - "Atlas Air" - Massive Attack (Heligoland)